my clinics success rates

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
here is what they list on their website

Patient Age Clinical Pregnancy Rate per Embryo Transfer

<35 52%

35-37 50%

38-40 39%

>40 20%

here is their SART results for 2008....BIG BIG difference

Fresh Embryos From Non-Donor Oocytes <35 35-37 38-40 41-42 Number of cycles 62 21 16 7
Percentage of cycles resulting in pregnancies 33.9 47.6 2 / 16 1 / 7
Percentage of cycles resulting in live births 29.0 38.1 0 / 16 1 / 7
based on this info....they had 18 women out of 62 go on to deliver a baby (for the under 35 range)

I cant believe I was so DUMB to go to this clinic even after my 2nd failed ivf. I knew I should of switched..but hubby didnt want to and it was hard enough getting him to agree to IVF a 3rd time...

I have a friend getting ready to start her IVF cycle at this clinic..he of course quoted her a 60% rate of success I want to tell her to run away FAST but I know she wont listen to me...i feel like crap keeping silent (she has insurance that is paying for her IVF so she isnt paying out of pocket but still)
I told her to look around but she said she wanted to stay at this clinic.

I think its so wrong that they can post their success rates this way...it doesnt really show the real stats...

March 8th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Sota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yikes! That scares me a lot since we are trying to pick out an RE to go with. It seems there are many ways that they use to manipulate things to make themselves look better.
March 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I see the chart is hard to read when posted..even harder to edit lol

here is the info i used typed out.

under age 35 there were 62 cycles with 33% resulting in BFP and 29% resulting in a baby. seriously pitiful....

if anyone wants to check out their RE's go to this site

SART - Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology

March 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM
the most important info to look at is...

# of cycles
% of cycles resulting in pregnancy
% of cycles resulting in live birth
% of cancellations

also look at the top and see what type of IF they mostly deal with...egg, male, combo ect..

March 8th, 2010, 03:11 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Wow, I really lucked out when I was referred to my RE. I'm sorry you have had such a lousy time with your doc, Christin.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 8th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I just wish I had had enough guts to switch to the other clinic...their success rate is almost 60%!! Their lowest success rate is 41 % and thats for the 38-40 age group which is pretty awesome!!

Im just kicking myself..wondering the "what if's" what if i had gone to the other clinic..what if I had gotten pregnant..what if I had had frozen embies...what if what if...drives a person mad I tell ya.

March 8th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I looked up my old RE... the one that fired me as a patient. They rates BLOW! Their website quotes someone in my age having a 55-60% success rate. BUT the SART website quotes them at 35-40%

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

March 8th, 2010, 05:36 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Oh, these are terrible! How can they "pad" the stats like that, ethically? Just the discrepancy makes me wonder how ethical they really are, and that is scary when dealing with IF.

I'm sorry you found out this way, both you and Kari! It's horrible that this was your experience.

Are you still completely out of the TTC mode or is there a possibility of trying the other clinic? Does your insurance cover any more IVF cycles?

Either way, that discrepancy is horrific and truly bodes question on the ethics.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
March 8th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari_B View Post
I looked up my old RE... the one that fired me as a patient. They rates BLOW! Their website quotes someone in my age having a 55-60% success rate. BUT the SART website quotes them at 35-40%
depressing isnt it??!! I wish I had done my research beforehand and $15000 down the drain.

the info on the sart website comes directly from the RE's to.... on my RE's site their success rate is based on embryo transfers or something like that...which is total crap information..but I had no clue when I was 22 looking at that info...

hopefully newbies just starting out can read this and learn from my mistakes.

March 8th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, very depressing. And I also have a friend that is just starting with them, and even with my HORRIBLE experience there, she is still giving them a shot. I guess you have to live and learn right.

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

March 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Remember that high success rates can be inflated as well. Many clinics won't even accept patients for IVF that don't have a have a good chance for success.
March 9th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirds View Post
Oh, these are terrible! How can they "pad" the stats like that, ethically? Just the discrepancy makes me wonder how ethical they really are, and that is scary when dealing with IF.

I'm sorry you found out this way, both you and Kari! It's horrible that this was your experience.

Are you still completely out of the TTC mode or is there a possibility of trying the other clinic? Does your insurance cover any more IVF cycles?

Either way, that discrepancy is horrific and truly bodes question on the ethics.
A part of me wants to try IVF again at another clinic but my husband REFUSES I still have $17,000 left in my lifetime max for infertility...but he wont budge. he thinks Im going to get ovarian cancer from all the drugs (my grandmother died from it)

He has said that we might pursue donor egg or donor embryo some time in the future though (since we are working on the assumption that my eggs are just awful)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDD View Post
Remember that high success rates can be inflated as well. Many clinics won't even accept patients for IVF that don't have a have a good chance for success.
that is very true!! you can see on the SART how many over 35 patients they see...a lot of RE's who are inflating their success wont take on older patients because they bring down the over all success of their practice. you can also see how hard the dx's they are taking on are.

I know that the other clinic with the close to 60% success rate only does blast transfers but they did 196 cycles compared to my clinics 62 cycles (and my clinic takes everyone) and even then they still beat out my clinic in success rates and live births. still kicking myself for not going.

March 9th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Super Mommy
My clinics numbers aren't impressive. I was disappointed in them. Another friend who is also going to my clinic specifically asked our RE about SART. He said some things that made me feel better.
1) The clinic doesn't turn any patient down, regardless of their condition.
2) All male patients from Baylor College of medicine Urology are refered to my clinic and they don't turn them down.
3) My RE is the best rated in the practice, which I believe. His rates are a little higher.

That being said, I am less than a month away from moving into the age group 38-40, which really decreases my chances! We finally are getting very personalized attention from the RE and I really feel like he is focusing on MY treatment plan. But if our next IVF attempt doesn't work, DH and I may consider going to talk to a clinic that has a higher success rate for 38-40 year olds. My RE already said that he would send over my records if I wanted to go elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *CAMM* View Post
A part of me wants to try IVF again at another clinic but my husband REFUSES I still have $17,000 left in my lifetime max for infertility...but he wont budge. he thinks Im going to get ovarian cancer from all the drugs (my grandmother died from it)

I know that the other clinic with the close to 60% success rate only does blast transfers but they did 196 cycles compared to my clinics 62 cycles (and my clinic takes everyone) and even then they still beat out my clinic in success rates and live births. still kicking myself for not going.
Oh Christin, this stinks about the success rate!!

Regarding ovarian cancer, can you talk to your OB/Gyn about one day getting on bcp? Mine told me that being on bcp greatly reduces chances of ovarian cancer overall. He said that if I was ever worried after all of our ttc, I could get on bcp for a while.

3 failed fresh IVFs, 1 failed FET
Surprise BFP in 12/10 after acupuncture & herbs!!
1 beautiful, perfect daughterl!

March 9th, 2010, 06:02 AM
tracey- I plan on staying on BC once Im dont ttc. I would like to stop ttc when Im 30 (4more years) and go on BC from there.

March 9th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm, my clinic was on there but it just said they were in good standing and that a report would be online when available?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search