Hope it's okay for me to ask this here...

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2010, 06:18 PM
AmandaR
I just had my second back to back loss.

My DR has given my progesterone to start next cycle.

But he wants me to wait until my blood test results come in at 13dpo to start it.

Isn't that too late???

Both of my losses were before 5 weeks.
March 8th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Veteran
First let me tell you how sad iam for you. I know how terrible it is to loselittle ones.
As for your doc, my geuss is that he wants to see if you have low progesterone at that point in your cycle, even though it does seem late to me.
With my re i start progesterone suppositories at 1 dpo, but those are medicated cycles with triggershot and iui.
If you are not sure why he wants you to start so late phone and ask him to clarify the reason why.
Hope this helps
Rhyssa
March 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
Also had monitored cycles... on clomid... I would go in and when the Dr would see my follicles...he would tell me it looks like you will ovulate in 24 hours so start the progesterone on ________day. But I have heard of ladies starting progesterone after they get thier BFP. I posted an Article on the TTCAL board.. about progesterone.. and some Drs think low progesterone is caused by a pregnancy that is non-viable while other think a pregnancy is non-viable because of low progesterone....... But from everything I have read.... progesterone can't hurt... except to make the body hold on to a failed pregnancy longer..... it really is a toss up.. But I would ask the Dr why he wants you to wait.

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
March 8th, 2010, 06:51 PM
AmandaR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyssa View Post
First let me tell you how sad iam for you. I know how terrible it is to loselittle ones.
As for your doc, my geuss is that he wants to see if you have low progesterone at that point in your cycle, even though it does seem late to me.
With my re i start progesterone suppositories at 1 dpo, but those are medicated cycles with triggershot and iui.
If you are not sure why he wants you to start so late phone and ask him to clarify the reason why.
Hope this helps
Rhyssa

I asked. He told me it wouldn't be too late.

He said he wont test my progesterone, just to start automatically.

He said taking progesterone before I'm pregnant will mess with my cycles because I wont get my period. But I thought most people just stopped it after a negaitve blood test, which is what I would do.
March 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have always started the progesterone right after O or IUI and continued until AF showed (which it did while I was on Progesterone a couple of times) or until I tested negative with a beta/HPT and then stop to see if AF shows. If it were me, and I had losses, I'd want my progesterone tested at 7dpo and if anything starting it then, if not sooner.

Good luck, I hope that you get your next BFP soon!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

March 8th, 2010, 09:00 PM
mom2myJo's's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am really sorry to hear about your losses. I know how sad I was to lose pregnancies (many before I realized what was happening until a late AF). It took me 8 years to find out I had Luteal Phase Defect, where I don't make enough progesterone to keep pregnant.

When I had DS, I went in for b/w on CD 3 and 2 DPO to test for hormones. The next cycle I had to test for LH surge then 2 days after to start on Prometrium until CD 32 and to stop if I had a BFN or to continue to take the pills if I had BFP.

CD 13 is not too late in my opinion, however like in my case, if I start progesterone too early ( before my LH surge), I won't ovulate and the progesterone then would act like birth control pills. It honestly depends on your O as to when you take progesterone.

When I went to the OB, he told me that the pills would not stop AF or prevent a miscarriage that was due to genetic defects, but that progesterone would prevent a miscarriage solely caused by my body not making enough of that hormone to feed a healthy baby.

I would get a b/w done to see where your other hormones are at to get the overall picture just to make sure you don't have an unbalance somewhere else in your cycle.

I hope for a BFP soon!
March 8th, 2010, 09:13 PM
AmandaR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2Jojo View Post
I am really sorry to hear about your losses. I know how sad I was to lose pregnancies (many before I realized what was happening until a late AF). It took me 8 years to find out I had Luteal Phase Defect, where I don't make enough progesterone to keep pregnant.

When I had DS, I went in for b/w on CD 3 and 2 DPO to test for hormones. The next cycle I had to test for LH surge then 2 days after to start on Prometrium until CD 32 and to stop if I had a BFN or to continue to take the pills if I had BFP.

CD 13 is not too late in my opinion, however like in my case, if I start progesterone too early ( before my LH surge), I won't ovulate and the progesterone then would act like birth control pills. It honestly depends on your O as to when you take progesterone.

When I went to the OB, he told me that the pills would not stop AF or prevent a miscarriage that was due to genetic defects, but that progesterone would prevent a miscarriage solely caused by my body not making enough of that hormone to feed a healthy baby.

I would get a b/w done to see where your other hormones are at to get the overall picture just to make sure you don't have an unbalance somewhere else in your cycle.

I hope for a BFP soon!
He said 13 days after I ovulate. Sorry, I should have clarified.

I think I'm going to start it after I'm sure I Oed. That seems to be the norm from what I've researched and been told.
March 8th, 2010, 09:15 PM
OMG!!! 13 DPO is a little late if you have low progesterone. I would def.. start 1 or 2 DPO, but I am not an MD....maybe your OB got confused?????
March 8th, 2010, 09:19 PM
AmandaR
I thought so, but I asked and he said starting before a positive pregnancy test isn't needed...but everything I've researched says otherwise. I've had back to back losses and really don't want to have another.
I have a lot of spotting before AF and he told me if that continued he would want me to start 5DPO, but I think I'm going to start then anyways.
March 8th, 2010, 09:25 PM
It's not gonna hurt to start then, The placenta in the 3rd trimester produces over 400 times the amount that we make when we aren't pregnant, so the baby would be fine.

Go with your instinct. My OB wanted to put me on Clomid and a trigger and progesterone when my b/w showed I didn't need it at that time and I used progesterone only at 2 DPO and on from there and I had DS after 8 years of this mess of not keeping babies. Keep your head up high....you'll get a sticky bean....maybe we both will have the same DDC....
March 9th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Regular
I've also had 2M/C , it's really hard to get passed it, but you do, eventually. My doc also said I'd need progesterone supplements next time I got preg, but wouldn't give it to me to start before! It's been over a year since the 2 losses and I'm starting to wonder if progesterone wouldn't help in me getting preg again.
I've been on hcg injections this cycle, for timed intercourse, and the second shot was at 5 DPO to help with the progesterone. But doc said, if I get pregnant this cycle, he'll give me the extra progesterone after we're sure. I wish he would just give it to me already!!!

So I think, if you have it take it!!! I was told by many docs that it's not proven if it helps but it definitely can't hurt to take it.

good luck with it, I hope it works and holds on tight!!!!
March 9th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Angel_Maker
Amanda, just wanted to say that I'm so sorry about your losses the girls have given you great advice, so I have nothing more to offer than my prayers.....I hope you get this straightened out quickly
March 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM
AmandaR
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question!
March 9th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didnt start prometrium until I started spotting at 7 weeks. Taking it in the 2ww actually prevented me from getting pregnant because my progesterone got too high and made my lining too thick for implantation.
I'm pretty sure I'm a freak case though. I never had my progesterone tested and I was put on a higher dose than the ladies here that have posted about taking it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search