My insurance SUCKS

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Veteran
I am so upset. I just learned that my insurance (which SUCKS) will cover my meds, but not my IUI or possible future IVFs. OMG.. WTH!!

I called my doc's office today to discuss procedure costs but she told me that she was working on some things for me and to call back in a few days.

I am suppose to start Synarel on Tuesday next week. I don't know if I'll be able to afford everything/anything. Any tips on how to save some pennies?

3 beautiful in heaven

6/08 miscarriage 7 weeks
10/08 ectopic- surgery saved tube
5/09 ectopic pregnancy

4/10 IUI w/ inj. #1 Menopur BFN
6/10 IUI w/ inj. #2 300 Follistrim BFN
7/10 IUI w/ inj. #3 300 Follistrim BFN
8/4/10 IUI w/ inj. #4 300 Follistrim BFN
8/30/10 IUI w/inj. #5 300 Follistrim and 300 Gonal-F BFN
10/2011- successful lap to remove mild endometriosis
11/5/11-IUI w/ inj. #6 300 Menopur BFN
11/11-Femara w/ IUI #7 STILL WAITING!!
March 15th, 2010, 05:39 PM
momma S's Avatar Super Mommy
Unfortunately most insurances do not cover any infertility procedures beyond initial testing for the infertility. My insurance doesn't cover anything for IVF except a few meds that are not considered IVF drugs, lupron, progesterone to name a couple. We paid all OOP for IUI's as well. Basically you cut back on every aspect of your life for the time being, or at least we have. Good luck!
March 15th, 2010, 05:47 PM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, unfortunately most of them don't help us get to our goal of being Mommies.. we have paid for everything out of pocket, including all meds, IUI, and our latest IVF cycle. Cutting down on eating out, clipping coupons, and just pinching pennies wherever you can are just a few little suggestions.

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

March 15th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Agreed- even with progesterone, we have a copay, and it's $75. Thats CHEAP compared to the rest

An option if you are looking for injectibles is freegaragesale.com. Other couples who have done IVF or IUI and either don't need all the meds or changed med protocols. Much cheaper. Still probably a few thousand, but half the cost most of the time

It's a huge way to save

March 15th, 2010, 07:36 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Ditto. Our insurance paid for testing, but the IUIs and IVF were up to us. We did get the progesterone and Lupron and BCP paid for, but that was it!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 15th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We paid for everything OOP. Savings? What's that? We applied for a line of credit just in case. So far our treatments have wiped out the savings that we had.

The best way to save money is to find out where you normally spend it, then cut back. Track all your spending for a week - you might be surprised where the money goes. We cut out all meals out (except for the occasional weekend breakfast), we dropped our entertainment budget to $25/week (so if we want to go to a movie we have to save up a week), no unnecessary spending, etc.

Good luck!
March 15th, 2010, 08:23 PM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Send a message via AIM to LindseyMarie
Thats exactly how mine is too, as long as we are trying "naturally" they cover pretty much any med, but throw in an IUI/IVF and the same meds aren't covered.

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

March 16th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have cut back in EVERY aspect of our lives. Slowly but surely, we have started to save some money for our adoption... but you have to make a lot of sacrifices to get there!

Wouldn't it be nice if EVERY state had a mandate for IF coverage!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

March 16th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Your in New York so look into the New York State Infertility Grant. :-)
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
March 16th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Super Mommy
I am sorry! It is shocking to find this info out. It is SO NOT fair! Sadly, I haven't heard of one person whose insurance covers these. DH and I have changed our lifestyle to be able to save $$$ to cover meds and procedures. I keep telling myself that one day this will all be worth it!

3 failed fresh IVFs, 1 failed FET
Surprise BFP in 12/10 after acupuncture & herbs!!
1 beautiful, perfect daughterl!

March 16th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Not covered for me either. I think if there is an insurance co that covers it, they are not the norm. We had to pull from our savings to cover our costs. Testing was covered, but once we entered treatment phase, nothing, not even meds was covered.

You should ask your clinic if they have any meds to donate to you. Lots of times, couples have left overs they give back to the clinic and donate.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
March 16th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Veteran
In this last week I paid over $4,000 for all meds and $9375 (discounted from my clinic) for this IVF cycle that I am about to start. And that doesn't include an additional $1500 for ICSI if we need it. Like the ladies said, pretty much nothing is covered. And its cleaning us out. We do have a line of credit open just in case of an emergency.

About the NY State grant...I was just told that there are currently no funds available.

Bright side? its on my credit card so i'm more than half-way to a free international plane ticket...whoopdi-dooo...

I justify it by looking at my son...he is a product of IVF and I certainly cannot put a price tag on him! We'll do what we have to do ... without losing our house of course.

Its crazy...but its what we have to do...even if it means eating beans every night!

OUR TTC JOURNEY
10/04 - Off BCP and started TTC on our own
08/05 - Started Chlomid w/ IUI - did several with ob/gyn - all BFN
03/06 - First RE pppt
04/06 - Another IUI with RE - BFN
05/06-06/06 - DH's varicocele surgery to treat low count/motility/morphology and my lap to remove minor endo and cyst on left tube
08/06 - IUI w/inj - BFN
11/06 - IVF #1 - BFP...but ruptured ectopic - emergency surgery to remove left fillopian tube
02/07-03/07 - Appt with new RE and yet another IUI - BFN
05/07 - IVF #2 - BFP!!!!! Our beautiful son was born on 02/27/2008
12/08 - Suprise BFP...but low beta #'s...miscarriage =(
03/09 - Getting ready for IVF#3 but... ANOTHER SUPRISE BFP???!!! 9dpo! Heartbeat at 6 weeks!
04/09 - No HB at 9.5 week US. D&C 4/15. I'm devastated and feel like I have nothing left.
05/09 - First AF after m/c on 5/24. Back on the TTC trail...ho-hum
02/10 - Back to the RE for Clomid/IUI ... BFN
03/10 - Started BCP for IVF in APRIL!!! I haven't been this excited in ages!

4/14/2010 - RETRIEVAL DAY!!!! 28 EGGS/ 18 mature/13 fertilized!!!
4/17/2010 - Transfer of a 8-cell grade 1-2 AND a 7-cell grade 1 ... 10 three-day embies on ice
6dp3dt - squinter-BFP on Answer
9dp3dt - Beta #1 = 65
11dp3dt - Beta #2 = 218
1st Sono 5/7 - 7mm gestational sac with visible yolk sac
2nd Sono 5/14 - 111 bpm CRL 4.6mm
3rd Sono 5/21 - 142 bpm CRL 12.8 mm
4th Sono 5/28 - 170 bpm CRL 18.5 mm
5th Sono 6/7 - 170 bpm CRL 26.2 mm
NT Scan 6/28 - Beautiful Baby!!!!
THE LORD HEARD OUR PRAYER

Last edited by charlierays; March 16th, 2010 at 08:26 AM.
March 16th, 2010, 09:07 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
My insurance covered IUI and the associated meds, but not IVF, which is why we tried IUI first. Fortunately IUI worked. I have a crap ton of meds leftover though. I'm holding onto them until Grant is born (I'm a little superstitious I guess) but after that I plan to give them to someone who needs them.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

March 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Sota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My insurance will cover IUIs up to 6, but not IVF and no meds. IUI won't work for us so it's all out of pocket from here on We will have to take out loans and just hope it works. If it doesn't I really don't know what we will do.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search