Question for Nicole (Cobain's Mommy)

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hope you don't mind me asking you this, Nicole!

I just wanted to know, when you and your partner where told about PGD, did they say they could tell the different between a 'normal' embryo and a 'balanced' embroyo when they were doing the testing? So for example, will they be able to make sure the embroyo won't be passing on the same Balanced Translocation that I have?

Or do they just check that the embryo has the correct amount of chromosomes (ie not UNbalanced)?

March 16th, 2010, 05:05 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
bumping in here..but this is what I found on PGD

Currently, there are mainly two groups of patients for which PGD is being applied:

* In the first group PGD is used to look for a specific disorder in couples with a high risk of transmitting an inherited condition. This can be a monogenic disorder, meaning the condition is due to a single gene only, (autosomal recessive, autosomal dominant or X-linked disorders) or a chromosomal structural aberration (such as a balanced translocation). PGD helps these couples identify embryos carrying a genetic disease or a chromosome abnormality, thus avoiding the difficult choice of abortion. In addition, there are infertile couples who carry an inherited condition and who opt for PGD as it can be easily combined with their IVF treatment.

* The second group consists of couples who undergo IVF treatment and whose embryos are screened for chromosome aneuploidies. The technique is not used to obtaining a specific prenatal diagnosis but rather for screening, properly referred to as preimplantation genetic screening (PGS), to increase the chances of an ongoing pregnancy.

hope this helps.

March 16th, 2010, 05:17 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
im not sure if the tests show that the embryo is just normal or if they are normal and will not pass on that genetic trait.

you might also consider CGH which is a more indepth look at the embryos. its starting to replace PGD but there are not many clinics that do it.

I know SIRM does it . they have clinics all over the US..i think there are more than 6 clinics.

here is a link to CGH by a dr that helped develop it, and he owns SIRM.

IVF Authority: CGH

you can can go to the SIRM website, log into discussion boards and post a question and the drs from SIRM will answer it (i recommend posting in the Las Vegas section, the founder of SIRM posts in that one). They also offer FREE ivf consultations over the phone. I've done it 3x!! they are very helpful. I know quite a few of us have posted questions in there about our situations, and gotten reliable helpful solutions.

here is their website. haveababy.com

Last edited by *CAMM*; March 16th, 2010 at 05:19 AM.
March 16th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
They told us once it hits the 4 cell state they'll take a cell out and test the DNA of the cell. For us we'd just be testing the 3 and 12 chromosomes, we could test the whole board including finding out the sex of the cells but it's more expensive. They said they'd be able to tell us if it was balanced, unbalanced, or normal. The unbalanced would be destroyed and we'd have the choice about the balanced.

With Coby at birth they are testing his DNA right away to see if he's got normal or balanced. That way we'll know and be able to tell him that he may have fertility problems later in life. But the way medical advances are going hopefully by then it won't be as big of an issues as it is now.

made by BAM

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search