Hi All....

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2010, 06:09 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi All -

I have been reading posts here and there for a while and am coming out of hiding. My name is Missy, I am almost 41 and TTC...

When we got pregnant last year we were using condoms and wanted to wait until the summer to get pregnant. We went out to dinner one night, had a few drinks, had unprotected sex ONCE and bam! we were pregnant. It was so easy and awesome and fun. Lost the baby and have been TTC for almost a year now.

I went to obgyn and had FSH levels done (6.6) and an ultrasound which came back great. She gave me a referral to an RE but we did not go. I wanted to try on our own.

Well I am not a spring chicken and really never ever thought I would TTC for a year and not get pregnant.

DF is on board to go to an RE... What should we expect at the first visit? How much are we looking to spend? We do not have any insurance, I have a healthcare line of credit that we will be using for this.

Thanks ladies.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

March 16th, 2010, 06:38 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi,

The amount of money depends on what you will have to do and what you are comfortable doing. We have spent close to 20k for all of our treatments. IVF cost about $15,000 including your meds..plus or minues 1-2k. IUI's are about $500-$2000 depending on the meds you use.

at your first appt, they might do an ultrasound, take blood work ect. Your DF will probably have to do a semen analysis. your FSH is just about perfect..so i wouldnt think you are having egg issues..and I see you have 3 boys already....does your DF have any kids??? he might have some issues going on with his sperm..motility, morphology, count ect...

anyways, welcome

March 16th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks Christian,

No, my fiance does not have any children. I have 3 boys from a marriage when I was younger.... They are practically men now

Thanks for the insite. I think what we need to do is figure out where to stop; How much money we are willing to put into this and where do we draw the line if not successful.

CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett

March 16th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome to the group! I hope that your first visit with your RE goes really well and they are able to figure some things out.

You can expect to do a lot of b/w and testing before you get started with any MA. My initial consult was around $400.

Let us know how things go!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

March 16th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Missy!

Your RE will probably want to re-do any tests that you have already had done. She will most likely want to do an HSG as well.

Good luck to you.
March 17th, 2010, 05:13 AM
adnelg775's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The other girls pretty much covered the answers there....I just wanted to say Welcome, and I hope you are in a DDC before you know it!

March 17th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Thanks Ladies. You seem like such a great group here. I am not sure how I feel about all of this... I wish it were easier for all of us.

Have a good day and thanks for the warm welcome!

March 17th, 2010, 06:40 AM
SarieP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the group

March 17th, 2010, 06:47 AM
~Lynda~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hey missy, welcome to the MA area. I'm glad you have made the decision to seek help!!! I was so hoping you wouldn't just give up. I can't tell you what the appt will entail, since I have my first appt coming up. but i will wish you great success with your RE. Have you chosen one yet? We have no insurance coverage either. It can get quite costly unfortunately!!! but hey, you can't put a pricetag on love!!

March 17th, 2010, 03:40 PM
mom2myJo's's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and Welcome to the group!!
March 17th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
Missy! Welcome to the MA side! I still have all paper work from the first apt... The RE we went to see are very up front with prices.. we got a "ALA Cart" Price list of what was not covered by our insurance...

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
March 18th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Sota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Missy,

I am pretty new here myself and still looking for an RE that will be a good fit for us. I found that most will provide you with a price sheet for their services at the first visit. For us the first consults have been mostly going over our history and them indicating what path they thought we would need take next along with the tests they thought we need.
March 18th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I called a few places and since I have a line of credit through carecredit I found an RE 1 town away that accepts it. They got me in for a consultation appointment on Tuesday!!! wow, I thought I would have to wait a month or longer... Really looking forward to Tuesday.

Thanks again everyone! and Lynda you are right, you can't put a pricetag on love.

I appreciate all of you

March 18th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
YEA!!! TUESDAY!!! Wow that is awesome!! KUP I can't wait to hear!

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
March 18th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Welcome!

I am Nikki (23), my husband is Edward (33) and we have been TTC since August 2009, we have had two failed IUI's and will have our first cycle of IVF in May.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search