PIO shots - any tips for pain relief (after pain)

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2010, 07:03 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I do just fine doing the shots but my thigh is killing me afterwards. I do my injections myself which is why I do them in my thigh and not the butt. Last time I remember getting sore but not like this. It is difficult for me to sleep because my legs hurt so much. I woke up this morning and couldn't go back to sleep because my leg was just throbbing in pain. I finally took some tylenol which seems to have helped some but I am having this problem night after night.

Any tips for pain relief?

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
March 18th, 2010, 07:08 AM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually called my RE's nurses today about the same kind of thing. Well, I was more concerned with the hardening muscle I'm getting on the right side of my butt and didn't ask about the pain. She just said it's completely normal and if the pain would get to be unbearable, they would switch me to Endometrin.

I hope someone has some advice for you!

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

March 18th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jackie*~ View Post
I actually called my RE's nurses today about the same kind of thing. Well, I was more concerned with the hardening muscle I'm getting on the right side of my butt and didn't ask about the pain. She just said it's completely normal and if the pain would get to be unbearable, they would switch me to Endometrin.

I hope someone has some advice for you!
Yeh, my muscle is feeling pretty hard where it is hurting too. I have been massaging it and that seems to help some. I just don't remember it hurting this much last time.

March 18th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you put a heating pad on it right after you give the shot? It helps the oil to spread so that the muscle won't knot up as much. Also massaging it helps to move the oil around too. Neither of those is a perfect solution though I still have a knotty, itchy behind even with those but it doesn't really HURT.
March 18th, 2010, 07:38 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the knot is from the oil being in the muscle still, massaging should help a lot. I got them if i didnt massage after wards.

Patty- i did my PIO shots myself and was able to do them in my bum. I just twisted around and did it. You might try it a couple times to give you thigh a rest. My RE wouldnt let me do them in the thigh because he said it would cause a lot more discomfort than the bum.

March 18th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *CAMM* View Post
the knot is from the oil being in the muscle still, massaging should help a lot. I got them if i didnt massage after wards.

Patty- i did my PIO shots myself and was able to do them in my bum. I just twisted around and did it. You might try it a couple times to give you thigh a rest. My RE wouldnt let me do them in the thigh because he said it would cause a lot more discomfort than the bum.
The nurse I saw recently said I could do them that way but I feel safer and more comfortable doing them in my thigh. For me, twisting like that is awkward. I do think that is partly why it is hurting so much. I am going to try your suggestions of a heating pad and massaging. How long after you do the injection should you massage & use the heating pad? Should I be doing this right after I do the injection?

March 18th, 2010, 08:12 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Ditto on the heating pad...I had one on my office chair and sat on it all day long during my PIO shots. That $15 pad saved my life....I could barely walk without it!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 18th, 2010, 08:39 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos View Post
The nurse I saw recently said I could do them that way but I feel safer and more comfortable doing them in my thigh. For me, twisting like that is awkward. I do think that is partly why it is hurting so much. I am going to try your suggestions of a heating pad and massaging. How long after you do the injection should you massage & use the heating pad? Should I be doing this right after I do the injection?

yep do it right after the injection.

March 18th, 2010, 10:47 AM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
I always drew up the PIO into the needle - wrapped the needle in my heating pad for a few mins until it was warm - injected it and then immediately sat on the heating pad for like 15 mins.

I never really had any pain like that.

ETA: when the needle was wrapped in the heating pad - I held it to the injection site to warm it up too - forgot that part!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

Last edited by ~April04~; March 18th, 2010 at 11:01 AM.
March 18th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I actually bought smaller needles (25g) to do my PIO shots. Before I ended up with severe allergic reactions to it, I warmed up the PIO for 15 minutes, then warmed up my butt, then injected and kept the heating pad on my butt for another 5 minutes while DH massaged. Worked while i was on PIO. Then i ended up on PIEO and never had pain
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
March 18th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I used a heating pad this time and I REALLY think it helped. I will have to see how I sleep tonight before I make any final decisions on this. I really appreciate the tips because I think the heating pad may have done the trick!

March 18th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
massaging the area is also important! It helps distribute the PIO! :-)
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
March 18th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hope the heating pad works for you Patty!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search