IVF vs IUI

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello All!

I am new here but definitely need to be here so let me introduce myself...I am Jessica. My Dh and I are both 29 and just found out that DH has really low sperm count. We hare been TTC #1 for going on 10 months with no luck. This is what we know about his sperm quality/quantity:

Count: 4 million/mil
Morphology: 2%
Motility: 53% (low average)
pH:normal
forward progression: 2-3 (low average?)

He goes in tomorrow for second sample so we'll see how they compare. The fertility doctor that did the test told him IVF would be our best option. I am guessing he said that because his count is so low and the morphology is so poor. I am wondering for those of you out there with DH who have MFI know at what point it is better to just do IVF instead of IUI? As far as we know, I am fine and ovulate regularly. I had b/w done on CD 21 which came back normal and have been charing for the last 4 months. I ovulate late around CD18 and have a shorter LP at 12 days.

Any info would be helpful, we just learned that this is our problem and have been researching like mad ever since! Thanks so much!

LolasMama3 by LoLo's Mama, on Flickr

Thank you Gray's Mama for my awesome siggy!

March 18th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Veteran
Hi and welcome! My name is Christy, and DH has low sperm count with low morph. We tried IUI several times with no success, and then moved onto IVF with ICSI and conceived our daughter Brianna. We will be doing IVF again in May hoping for a second little miracle. My DH sperm count is very similar to yours. With low morphology and count, IUI may prove challenging for the little guys (meaning the spermies). We are skipping IUI this time around, and jumping right to IVF with ICSI again. Good luck, and I'd be happy to answer any questions!!

March 18th, 2010, 02:49 PM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
Welcome!

My DH also has similar counts to yours - we went ahead and did two IUIs because I just had to try them to see if they would work before moving on. Neither IUI worked (his postwash counts were only 357,000 for the first one and 950,000 for the second one).

We moved forward to IVF w/ ICSI and conceived our daughter, Savannah, on the first try.

I know that even w/ severe MFI - some couples do conceive with just IUI (and even on their own!) - so I would at least give it a shot.

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

March 18th, 2010, 03:26 PM
momma S's Avatar Super Mommy
We conceived our son on our second IUI, DH had 32 mil good that day and 2% morph, don't remember mobility but it was around 50 % I think. This time around we did 5 IUI's and they did not work. We are onto IVF and I have found out my ovarian reserve is a bit on the low end, so between the two of us IUI wasn't going to work well this time. If IUI's are covered you could try a couple and see.
March 18th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Hi and welcome :-) My husband had a similar count as yours (lower motility) and we did IVF with ICSI right away and we had our son on the first try 8 months ago :-) We were told IUI would be a waste for us and IVF would be our only hope.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
March 18th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
welcome! im jessie and dh is Santos..we to are dealing with severe male factor..we have morphology issues..we were told iui was a waste as well..but tried anyway..it failed..so now we are moving on to ivf/icsi! good luck with your choice!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
March 18th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the welcome ladies! I really don't know that much about all of this yet, but I am a big huge obsessor!! So, from my degree I just received from google university (hehe) and from what you guys are telling me, it looks like IVF is our best chance with his counts being so low. Also, I like the idea of ICSI too.

We have discussed this, and at this time, (remember we don't even have a second SA yet so that may changes things), I would rather charge full on ahead and try for IVF with ICSI. I am not sure how I would do on the "emotional" side of multiple failed attempts with IUI. Especially if are chances are so low to start with. I know the cost is tremendously higher, but I would almost rather take that risk to prevent myself the emotional toll. From what I have heard from others, the medications alone make you just crazy with hormones and emotions.

It's just too early to make any decisions but as I said, I am a total obsessor and go getter type of person. thanks for the input!

March 18th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Welcome!

I am Nikki (23) and my husband is Edward (33), we have been TTC since August 2009, I have Endo and Ed has a low sperm count, we have been given a 2% chance of concieving naturally.

We were adviced to go straight to IVF/ICSI but we eventually agreed to 3 IUI's before attempting IVF/ICSI, we had 2 failed IUI's and decided to stop there, we will have our first IVF/ICSI attempt in May.

I would go right ahead and do IVF/ICSI.
March 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM
SarieP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Jessica! My name is Sarah and I'm fairly new around here too. I'm 24 DH is 30 and we just found out about 2-3 weeks ago? that we are dealing with MFI We have been TTC#1 for 7 months now (only 4 cycles). I also found out that I have PCOS so we are dealing with that problem too!

Anywho here's my DH's counts: 9.8 million, 3% morphology, 29% motility. So sorta close to yours....
Our RE told us that it was possible for us to get pregnant on our own but it could take a lot longer. At first he recommended we try IUI but when we asked about doing it naturally he said we could try that if we wanted to. So his plan was for us to try 3 cycles (with me on Clomid) naturally then do 3 cycles of IUI and then move to IVF, if necessary.

I'm not sure how the doctors determine what course of action they think is best but I would say that if your doctor recommends IVF and doesn't think you will be successful with IUI then I would go with what he says You don't want to waste time and money if the doctor doesn't think it will work for you. Plus I think it would be emotionally difficult to keep going through repeated failures with something that most likely won't work

I wish you all the luck though! When is your next appt with the doc? After the second SA?

March 19th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Sarie! DH second SA was today. Poor guy is humiliated! He was brought into this "private" room where he said it was just one room away from the waiting room. In the room was his cup and a Playboy magazine from 2008. I didn't get why he was so stuck on the fact that it was 2008, but then he explained to me "think of how many other people have used that". Okay. I get it, yuck! He didn't touch the mag needless to say! He really wanted to do it there (at the lab) this time cause we don't live close to a lab and last time, it was just under the 1 hour point. So he wanted to maek sure he count didn't stink because of the time factor. So, poor guy!

Anyway, we are hoping results come back today so we don't have to wait the whole weekend! I'll post if they do! Then, I have an appointment with my OB on the 31st and I'm sure he will recommend us to an RE at that point. Not sure though.

March 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM
SarieP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LOL it's so funny how embarassed they get...it's like "Um hello? You get to go into a private room and do your business while we have at least 2 people staring at our hoo-ha on a regular basis!" GET OVER IT!!

My DH wants to do his second one at the office too, he also did the first one at home and he was afraid that something happened in the "in between" and it got messed up. He said he thought he got too warm because the consistency changed. However, he has decided not to have a second one done right now 1) because it is expensive 2) it won't change our plan if it's a little bit different and 3) The doc said that sperms "renew" every 90 days so we want to wait at least that long to get a new batch tested. DH is also taking vitmains now so we want to see if those help. Plus the doc said when we do the IUI (if we get there) the spermies are checked then.

Post your results when you get them! I am interested in how different a second sample can be. You will probably get referred. My OB immediatley said we needed to go to a fertility clinic and she couldn't help us anymore!

March 19th, 2010, 01:10 PM
pianogirl's Avatar Veteran
Hi Jessica, My name is Michelle and my DH has sperm antibodies. Looks like you got lots of advice already so I just wanted to say hello. Hopefully your DH second SA will be better since he did it at the clinic. Good luck to you both.
TTC#2 since June 2008
Did Puregon and IUI from June 2008 - Dec.2008
Began process of testing and getting ready for IVF w/ICSI Feb.2009
Did first IVF w/ICSI in May. MC June 2009
Did IVF with FET Oct 2009 and had CP
Begin taking BCP on May 7 for IVF
Lupron injections on May 15
Gonal-F & Menupor on May 28
Retrieval on June 7, 5 day transfer w/2 embryo's on June 12
June 21-4 weeks pregnant!! Praying for heartbeat at 7 week ultrasound
July 12-We are having twins! Two strong heartbeats. Thank you God.
Jan 13,2011-Marcus and Caleb were born.

March 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Jessica!

I am Kari and my DH is Brian. We have been TTC our first for a little over 2.5 years now. We have done clomid and TI cycles, Clomid IUI cycles, Femara, Injects and IUI cycles... basically everything except IVF. We just decided at the end of last year that we would not pursue IVF right now and are currently waiting for our adoption application to be approved.

It sounds like IVF will be the road you'll take and I'm sure that you'll be sent to an RE at your next appointment. I hope that you find out some better results from your second SA and maybe IUI's will be a better option. Keep us posted on what you find out. Seems like you have found the right place for you here! Stick around and keep posting if you have any questions. There are tons of ladies here with lots of experience! Glad you found us!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

March 20th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Jessica. We have no known issues and are in the process of doing IVF. We tried doing IUI and I have to say that the BFN from that was the worst one. I was so sure that it had worked. We were going to try IUI again but our name came up on the IVF list so we decided to go for it.

Good luck to you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search