Adopting from another country?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2010, 09:56 AM
bkro9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone here looking into that? Yes I am pregnant now, but I do want to adopt as well, and I'm hoping to do so out of country. Wondering if anyone here has researched that at all!

March 22nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We are not adopting from out of the country purely for financial reasons. The actual cost of the adoption is about the same but with travel and time away from work, we just couldn't swing it right now. There are a lot of countries that are currently closed, and you can get started in the process and have the country close suddenly. The process is just a lot longer in some cases.

I'm excited that you are already thinking about adoption! It's not a bad idea to start looking into it NOW since inter-country adoption can take a few years at best.

Keep us posted on your plans!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

March 22nd, 2010, 02:53 PM
Well I've always wanted to adopt from China, but I've recently learned that it is now about an 8 year wait if you get a child at all. I am now researching Korea quite a bit as they don't require you to travel! They bring the child to you which will be important as I'll have a child myself by then! Might be something for others to look into!

I'm excited for your adoption to progress, Kari!

March 22nd, 2010, 03:05 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
We are kinda hoping Guatemala will reopen when we are ready to adopt. Our two nephews and niece are from there. So we know someone who has gone through that process 3 times, and the last two we were with her all the way from home study till they came home. In the case of the youngest I travailed down there with his mom to pick him up. They don't require parents to visit or pick up down there. With the oldest they just went down to pick him up. With the younger two they were adopting them at the same time so there was a visit trip, a pick up trip for the middle, and they were going to have someone bring the youngest home. But at the time they got his pink slip the person that was going to bring him home couldn't.

made by BAM

March 27th, 2010, 08:20 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkro9 View Post
Well I've always wanted to adopt from China, but I've recently learned that it is now about an 8 year wait if you get a child at all. I am now researching Korea quite a bit as they don't require you to travel! They bring the child to you which will be important as I'll have a child myself by then! Might be something for others to look into!

I'm excited for your adoption to progress, Kari!
Just wanted to pop in. I adopted my son from Korea and brought him a little over a year ago. There are many agencies on the American side but all American agencies work with only three Korean agencies. Two out of the three now require you travel to Korea, the third is pretty close to making the same ruling. Just an FYI before you get too far down the process.
The Korean govt has said that intl Korean adoption is shutting down in 2012 - not sure if it is actually going to happen. Very sad.

Otherwise, an amazing and wonderful country and process!
March 28th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eashley View Post
Just wanted to pop in. I adopted my son from Korea and brought him a little over a year ago. There are many agencies on the American side but all American agencies work with only three Korean agencies. Two out of the three now require you travel to Korea, the third is pretty close to making the same ruling. Just an FYI before you get too far down the process.
The Korean govt has said that intl Korean adoption is shutting down in 2012 - not sure if it is actually going to happen. Very sad.

Otherwise, an amazing and wonderful country and process!
Well that stinks! Not the travel so much but the adoption shutting down. Why do countries do this?

March 28th, 2010, 06:26 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkro9 View Post
Well that stinks! Not the travel so much but the adoption shutting down. Why do countries do this?
Usually its because they get flooded with potential parents, Hauge Treaty has also made it more difficult, or government laws change which could impact wait times, children age ect..making it too difficult or not appealing to potential parents.

when a country becomes really popular it usually closes down soon or the laws suddenly change making it more difficult to adopt from.

March 29th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
My friend was telling me something about adopting from Jamaica. They are looking at getting two more from there. DH and I may start looking into it.

made by BAM

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search