Adoption question

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2010, 05:54 PM
A*LOT*OF*HOPE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tonight DH and talked about adopting a baby. I am really excited because this is the first time he has shown interest in it.

I don't even know where to start looking, I am in Washington, although Im not really sure if that matters.

I guess I just want to know if there are any really good websites, how much it costs, you know things like that!!!

Thanks Ladies
May 3rd, 2010, 06:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on taking the first step Morgan! How exciting!!!

When we first started looking into adoption, I just started doing a ton of research online. You really need to decide first what kind of adoption you want to do. Infant, domestic, international, foster... then you can really start getting into the nitty-gritty of it all.

I actually went out and bought a book called "Idiot's Guide to Adoption"... it was super helpful! It goes through all the different types of adoption in detail and we were able to make a much better decision after reading it.

As far as cost goes... it really depends on what path you take. Let me know if you have anymore questions, I'd be happy to help where I can!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

May 3rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
A*LOT*OF*HOPE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Kari,

We want to do a domestic adoption and we want a child 6 months or younger.

Are you going through an agency, or what?? where would I find an agency???

Do you pay for everything up front, or as you do steps??
May 3rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We are going through an agency. You could also look into foster to adopt, but the chances of them placing a 6 month or younger baby is very slim. A lot of those end up going back to the parents, or to a family member. You could still look into foster to adopt through social services in your county, but you will probably want to start looking for an agency or lawyer in your area that handles infant adoption. Also, you will want to decide if you are ok with an open adoption. Most, if not all, infant adoptions through an agency are open adoptions nowadays. As far as finding an agency or lawyer, I started by looking through the phone book. Also the county social services department can lead you in a good direction as well.

With our agency (Lutheran Social Services) you pay for each part of the process as you go. So we had to pay for the registration fee, then the application fee, then the pre-adoption education classes, then the back ground study fees, then the home study fees. All were due before you can move on to the next step. The big money comes towards the end when you pay the placement fees. Amounts vary greatly from agency to agency - but cheaper doesn't always mean better and vice-versa. You really should do some research. Go to as many information meetings for agencies as you can and make sure you are comfortable with the place you choose.

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

May 3rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Here's a good starting website

Adoption, International, Domestic, Waiting Child, Baby, Infant, Open, Adoption, Adopt, Adopting, Ado

made by BAM

May 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM
tawny63's Avatar Super Mommy
Hey Morgan! Congrats on the adoption decision. We went through Adoption Help for Adopting a Baby or Unplanned Pregnancy. I know they raised their rate to a flat fee of $17k and then you pay atty fees, home study and all. We used Mike Saunderson from Puyallup for the home study, he was very efficient and cheaper than anyone else. Let me know if you have any questions.
12/06 clomid 50mg=INSANITY and OHSS
Decided to adopt 01/07
raced to the hospital to get our baby boy in August 2007, 12 days after we went "live" to adopt!
Mental break....ahhh. Mommy time....ahhhh. <3
Endometriosis surgery 01/16/09
Femara+IUI 03/09, 04/09, 05/09, 06/09 BFN's
07/09: mixture of acupuncture, herbs, hope, and prayers
09/2009~too much pain, had to go on BCP's.
06/10: Starting adoption process again!!!!!
10/13/10: Adoption paperwork done...now just pray and wait....
01/07/11 profiles turned into the adoption agency.
Matched April 1st, 2011 with a baby girl!
Cassidy born June 15, 2011

May 15th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Veteran
We are going through and agency as well and it's done the same way as Kari said. You pay for certain things as you go. We are expecting our child to be born this week and we are super excited. At that time you pay the largest amount for the placement. I'm sure every agency is different but most agency's probably for the most part work the same. I would strongly urge to go through an agency b/c they will also help to get you in contact with an attourney that knows adoption law well to make sure everything is done as smoothly as possible and done properly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search