fast track to IVF?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2010, 05:46 AM
LindseyandJoeinAL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been thinking that I might just do one IUI and then go straight to IVF. I don't want to waste a lot of time doing multiple IUI's when I have a better chance at getting pregnant with IVF. Do you think this is a good idea? Am I just being impatient? Do you know anyone who has rushed into IVF?

Thanks ya'll!
TTC baby #2

lap surgery Apr 2010 stage 2 endo removed
IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
Wonderful, sweet daughter Khloe born August 2011
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
2nd lap surgery Dec 2012 stage 1 endo removed
IUI Apr 2013 cancelled due to producing 10 mature follicles
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN
IVF #4 Nov 2013 BFP! on 8dp3dt
Expecting boy/girl twins 8/1/14

September 10th, 2010, 05:49 AM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think that's "rushing" at all. I only did one IUI (well IUI's weren't even recommended for us but I just had to try one) and I think a lot of other ladies have been in the same situation. If you are able to move ahead with IVF to give yourself the best chance to conceive and if you are willing to do it, I say go for it. Keep us posted on what you decide!

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

September 10th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I know that Melissa (KMH) did a few IUI's with clomid but skipped injects and IUI all together to give IVF a shot... and now she is holding her baby in her arms.

I don't think it's crazy at all, and if our RE is on board, and you can afford it now with the new job.... I'D GO FOR IT!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

September 10th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I only did one IUI before going to IVF. I didn't respond well to the medication, so we were going to have to move on to injectables. When I comparedthe benefit/burden of an IUI with injects against IVF, it seemed that IVF was the better option. My insurance covered both in full, so this was definitely a driving factor.

I'm not sure if we made the right decision or not. I just felt that IUI was no better than BDing and that had not gotten us pregnant. DH's sperm were fine and I did ovulate, so it seemed that there was something else going on. In my gut, I felt that there was definitely an egg quality issue (which I was right about).

That said, IVF is not comparable to an IUI cycle in terms of the emotional toll it takes on you. IUI is like getting on the kiddie roller coaster, while IVF is the full on ride with eight million loops and a five hundred foot drop.

Best of luck with your decision!!

September 2009 IVF - BFN; November IVF -Ec topic Pregnancy; May 2010- IVF cycle- BFN,
July 2010 IVF cycle: BFP - m/c induced at 8 weeks because of no heartbeat
March 2011 IVF: BFP!!!

Last edited by yarngirl; September 10th, 2010 at 05:55 AM.
September 10th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
If i had listened to my GYN who said to do IUI, I woulda wasted money. DH's sperm count was so horrible we went straight to IVF and now, I have a 13.5 month old I have 6 snow peas too
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
September 10th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Jenn in DC's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi Lindsey. I just finished my third cycle of IUI with Clomid and Injectibles and got my third BFN I am ready to move on to IVF and am feeling like we just kind of wasted three cycles. If I had it to do over again, I think that I would have moved to IVF sooner.

Good luck making this decision.

My History
Jenn in DC=37 DH=46
TTC #1 since July 2009

Cycles 1-12 = BFN
Cycle #13 - 15= IUIs with Clomid & Gonal F - All BFNs
Cycle #16 -21 - Natural Cycles, started acupuncture and chinese herbs - BFN
Cycle #22 - IVF Clinical Trial. Cycle Cancelled.
Cycle #23 - Minimal Stimulation IVF #1 - 2 eggs retrieved, fertilized and frozen on Day 3.
Cycle #24 - Mini-IVF #2 - 2 eggs retrieved, fertilized and frozen as expanded blasts on Day 5.
Cycle #25 - Mini-IVF #3 - 4 eggs retrieved (two mature and 2 immature), one egg made it to blast and was frozen. Five snowbabies in all!! Hysteroscopy.
Cycle #26 Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP and then miscarriage
Cycle #27 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!!
Due Date: July 20th
Aven Robert Born on August 4th
September 10th, 2010, 06:50 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am kinda thinking the same thing, as well.
I'm glad I'm not alone.
I feel like, why waste time & money when we can just pull out the big guns & have more of a chance.
I know you will make the right decision for you.
I will be praying for you that your choice is easy.
September 10th, 2010, 06:55 AM
LindseyandJoeinAL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies!!! I thought I was being crazy for thinking so aggressively. DH is usually on board with whatever I decide, so I think I'll talk to him next week about my idea.

Even if it takes more than one IVF cycle to (hopefully) get my BFP, if I'm going to be giving myself shots, going for ultrasounds all the time and having progesterone suppositories leaking from my hoo ha, I might as well go for the option that yields the best odds.

On another note, I'm 7dpo today, so I could quite possibly be pregnant this month!!! Stranger things have happened.....
TTC baby #2

lap surgery Apr 2010 stage 2 endo removed
IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
Wonderful, sweet daughter Khloe born August 2011
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
2nd lap surgery Dec 2012 stage 1 endo removed
IUI Apr 2013 cancelled due to producing 10 mature follicles
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN
IVF #4 Nov 2013 BFP! on 8dp3dt
Expecting boy/girl twins 8/1/14

September 10th, 2010, 07:20 AM
eccomi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i can totally understand why you'd want to cut straight to the chase... i'd say go with your gut feeling on this one lindsey. KUP on what you decide! i'm always your biggest cheerleader!

cycles 1-16: TTC naturally, all BFNs
cycle 17 & 18: not TTC (due to diagnostic tests)
october 14: RE appt with follow-up hysteroscopy + saline sonogram... TUBES ARE CLEAR!
cycle 19, 20 & 21: natural TTC cycles = BFNs
cycle 22: another natural cycle, but preparing for our first IUI with injectables for cycle 23! FINALLY!!!
FEBRUARY 10th... our very first when we least expected it!!!

october 26th... our little miracle arrived via c-section at 12:19pm weighing 3.920 kilos! we are in love.
September 10th, 2010, 07:28 AM
hollann1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
if i was able to afford it i totally would jump right to IVF so i think since your job does cover some of that i would do what you are planning. why wait right, we want baby for you now

** Thank you Oona for the awesome siggy**
September 10th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We only did one IUI cycle before our IVF cycle. Like Jackie IUI wasn't really recommended for us, but I figured we'd give it a shot and potentially save $10k first.
September 10th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
We too only did one iui cycle before ivf..our RE didnt even want us to do that one cycle either! i dont think its rushing in..just doing one iui will probably give you piece of mind that you tried everything before ivf..thats how we saw it! good luck and i hope you dont need ivf!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
September 10th, 2010, 09:55 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I did 6 IUIs over the course of a year (3 natural/3 with Clomid). For us, we just weren't ready, financially or emotionally, for an IVF cycle during that time. Since we are pretty much unexplained as far as infertility goes, we were hoping to get pregnant and avoid any further MA, but had no luck. I don't regret what we did, because we went at a pace that we were comfortable with.

As Addie mentioned, the biggest difference besides cost is the emotional toll IVF takes on you. I thought I was totally prepared after all my IUIs, but it was really tough. The stakes are so high, the hormones are completely wacky, and you don't feel all that great physically. If IUIs are like a 5K run, then IVF is like the Iron Man Trathalon.

I don't think you are crazy for wanting to go to IVF after only one IUI...only you and DH know when you feel ready to take that next step. Feel free to ask lots of questions and lean on your JM sisters...you'll need that support to make it through!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

September 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If I could be the ultimate decision maker I'd totally go for IVF and skip IUI. Unfortunately DH is not on the same page so ..... I say GO FOR IT GIRL !!!! Cant wait to follow your journey although heck, you may just be preggo as we type now

September 10th, 2010, 11:15 AM
tyggrlili25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to tyggrlili25 Send a message via Yahoo to tyggrlili25
Im with the others. I say go for it. Although im hoping you are already prego and wont need it;-)

September 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM
AllisonC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would have liked to have moved to IVF alot sooner than we did, but it was DH that wasn't ready to do that yet. So, we spent an entire year doing IUIs, lap surgery, etc. before moving to IVF. And, we ended up spending around $7K that whole year on those treatments. But, we had to both be ready to move on, so we kept trying everything until IVF was the only thing left (we did skip injectables with IUI).

I say go for it. You could end up saving alot of money in the long run that way.
September 10th, 2010, 11:29 AM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Send a message via AIM to LindseyMarie
We are the same way.. we will do ONE IUI cycle, and then just save our $ for IVF! I don't think it's a bad idea, not after so many months already of trying!

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

September 10th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
thats what we did, and it turns out it was totally for us. I don't regret it one bit. Got pregnant both time with IVF on the first try

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search