Had my first IUI yesterday...

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2010, 07:26 PM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies. Thanks again for the suggestion on the digital OPKs. It's nice to have help when you've got so much on your mind before trying a new procedure.

So I had a heck of a time scheduling my stinkin' IUI when I determined my OPK was positive. The doctor's office has the receptionist take a message and then a nurse will call you back to schedule an appointment. Apparently my message got lost and nobody ever called me back. I called again at 4:30, but the office had already closed. I thought they closed at 5, oops. Sooo.... I called bright and early the next day and demanded to talk to a nurse that instant, because there was no way I was missing my first IUI. They scheduled me at 1:00 to drop of DH's sperm (they didn't have a place for him to do it, how ghetto is that?) and then they'd wash them and inject me about 45 minutes later.

DH was hilarious. He managed to get a specimen cup from the place he gets his SAs by flirting with the reception ladies, and then he had me meet him at the state park on top of the mountain so he could take care of business. So there we are, sitting in his car by the trailhead, he's doing his thing, and I am having the hardest time not laughing at the whole situation. He ended up getting stage fright and told me to just go to the doctor's office and wait for him there. He said later that if we get pregnant, maybe the baby will enjoy hiking since he/she was made (sort of) in a state park. What a dork, but he's cute.

Everything else went smoothly from there, except when I had accidentally signed in twice at the reception desk and they thought they had injected the wrong Jes. The nurse and I almost had heart attacks until we figured out what happened. That's the scariest thing ever!

The actual IUI felt just like a pap smear. The worst part was the spec. I had some ovulation cramping before I went, and that lasted throughout the day, but it wasn't anything painful and I don't really think it was a result of the IUI. I had just a little bit of light pink spotting, but again, it could have been ovulation. I'm surprised at how easy it was. DH's apparently provided an excellent sample, so the doc told me he was hopeful. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

That's about it! Sorry I wrote a novel, heh! Thanks for reading.

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

September 10th, 2010, 07:41 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Omg! You had alot of drama surrounding your IUI!
Alot of scares, you poor thing!
Glad to hear you did get your IUI done, though.
I will be hoping & praying that in 9months, I will get to see your little "hiker". haha
September 10th, 2010, 07:47 PM
hollann1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im glad everything worked out

** Thank you Oona for the awesome siggy**
September 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM
LindseyandJoeinAL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the detailed account of your experience! I love to hear all the little stuff that most people don't think to share. I've often wondered what it really feels like to have the IUI and if there would be cramping afterwards.

Hopes and prayers and fingers crossed that this is just what it takes for a BFP!
TTC baby #2

lap surgery Apr 2010 stage 2 endo removed
IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
Wonderful, sweet daughter Khloe born August 2011
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
2nd lap surgery Dec 2012 stage 1 endo removed
IUI Apr 2013 cancelled due to producing 10 mature follicles
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN
IVF #4 Nov 2013 BFP! on 8dp3dt
Expecting boy/girl twins 8/1/14

September 10th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Glad it all seemed to work out in the end. It will certainly ALL be worth it in the end!

It's gonna be a long two weeks!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

September 11th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
SOOOOOOO excited to read your update Jes

That is hillarious about DH & his collection story....Im already super nervous how we are going to go about collecting for ours next month. The 1st time my DH had to collect it was the most horrifying, embarasing, odd moment ever in our relationship. I already warned DH he is on his own for the next round. Anyways, I am happy to hear the procedure itself wasnt too bad. OMG about the scare with the could be accidental injection, I've thought about how many times that has ever happened !!! What if you got a ++ result and then 9mo later the kid came out not looking anything like what you thought Anyways............I am rooting hard for you, its about time we see some great big fat positives from our girls doing IUI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search