Now I'm so confused.... (sorta long - sorry, but I'm freaking with nerves!)

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Super Mommy
I normally lurk around the PCOS boards but...I'm starting my very first round of Clomid tomorrow on cycle days 3 through 7 and now after reading some other posted topics I'm so confused. I'm wondering if someone who has some experience with Clomid can help me see things more clearly....

So as I said I'm taking Clomid cycle days 3 through 7 at 100mg each day. My OB wants me to go get blood drawn for Progesterone on cycle day 21 to see if I responded to the Clomid - after reading other posts I'm seeing that other Dr.s are sending other ladies to get an u/s, I'm concerned that what my Dr. is doing isn't normal and that I'm not truly going to know. Should I be getting an u/s and not a blood draw?

I've also never used FF before and I tried plugging in my information for the first time and it says that my fertile days are projected to be 22-24 and ovulation on the 25th but I'm wondering if this is not correct since I don't have a regular cycle and my a/f needs to be induced with Provera and I know the Clomid makes the O happen earlier... I've ordered some OPK test strips and I'm hoping that they'll be here this week and I'll just start testing everyday, but now I'm just getting paranoid...I just want to make sure on this....

I have so many questions/concerns that I think I'm driving myself mad with all this!! Goodness! Please help! Thank you for all your help!

Last edited by Mommy2BMae; September 13th, 2010 at 08:02 PM.
September 13th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's ok that he's not doing an U/S right away. Just from getting your progesterone draw on CD21 he will be able to tell if you O'd prior to CD21. Even when I O'd on CD17 with Clomid they could still tell because my progesterone was over the desired level. I think every doc is different, I did 2 rounds of Clomid with progesterone draws on CD21. I'll be doing Clomid and IUI next month and for 4 cycles if necessary and won't even be having progesterone draws because he knows it worked for me before and I'm to call their office sooner if my cycles are 32 days or longer. I chart and use OPK's so I'll know what's going anyway.

So, it's ok he's not doing more

I'm on the PCOS board too!

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 13th, 2010, 08:29 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^ I agree^^.

Usually, the u/s are only crucial when doing an IUI.

Good luck, hun!
Relaxxxxx!
September 13th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a bit of a different take on things than the other ladies. I am a firm believer that if you are on clomid you should have at least one u/s done to keep an eye on things while you are taking it. Clomid is known for leaving behind nasty cysts behind at the end of the cycle and also usually does a number on your lining as well.

I personally wouldn't want to skip the u/s part if it was an option. It's just one more thing you can do to make sure that you are doing everything you can to make this happen.

I know I might be the only one that thinks u/s monitoring is important on clomid.... but it's just one of my things.

Also, for your progesterone check, you'll want to make sure you go in for b/w at 7dpo... not at cd21 (unless that happens to be 7dpo ). 7dpo will be your peak time and you might O sooner or later than cd14 so keep an eye on your OPK's and schedule your b/w accordingly.

Good luck with things!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

September 13th, 2010, 09:52 PM
tyggrlili25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to tyggrlili25 Send a message via Yahoo to tyggrlili25
Ditto Amber. I was going to say make sure you get your progesterone tested at 7 dpo NOT cycle 21. Cycle 21 is usually the norm because everyone thinks all women ovulate on cd 14 which just isnt true. As far as u/s monitoring...this is my first cycle on Clomid so they want to make sure its working for what I need it to do. I think it depends on what you are on Clomid for as well. I already know I have a low progesterone in the second half of my cycle. The first month or two using FF isnt really going to give you any answers until you have some cycles in the history. And sometimes like myself lol
I have 19 cycles on ff and sometimes I still dont know whats going on with my body/cycles. But once you get the hang of it it becomes second nature. Try not to worry/stress out tooo much.it doesnt help things :-( I hope this helped a little bit. Good luck to you!!

September 13th, 2010, 10:56 PM
sweetdreamer1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i guess ur dr is not doing an u/s this cycle must be cos he has just put u on clomid..!may be he wants to see if u o by urself..hence the b/w at day 21..! but as the other ladies mentioned..,its best to track ur O with opks and then count the days after Oing..and go for b/w at 7dpo..!
my first time i took clomid i too didnt go for u/s..itsnow that the dr want me to come on day 10 to see the follies cos i have to take fsh for them to mature and hcg shot to trigger O..!

good luck and hoping n that u will O with only clomid so u dont have to go for the shots and the irritating appts for u/s n so forth..!!

My BFP Chart
pregnancy/baby blog pw. 0000

September 13th, 2010, 11:01 PM
sweetdreamer1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
and yes.. dont depend on the ff analysis..cos untill u have some history of Oed cycles there it wont be really accurate..even now for me sometimes after having 20+ cylces it still isnt clear at times..! just keep the ff for ur guide and as a database of what is happening during the month..!

My BFP Chart
pregnancy/baby blog pw. 0000

September 14th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I had one round of Clomid at 100mg with 4 ultrasounds total. I also think it is important to be monitored with u/s to keep an eye on your follicles (see if they are good size) and keep an eye on your uterine lining. My lame RE didn't mention to me that Clomid is KNOWN for causing your lining to be thinner (hello, conflict of interests here). Once they told me my lining was a little thin I googled all the natural ways I could help out. I too felt like I was in the dark going into it. I also was one of the "very few" to have psychodellic vision effects the day after I took pill 5. It was very strange and eventually went away (about 2 hours) but my RE told me I could not take Clomid any more because of that reaction. I also got hot flashes but that was about it. I was later told I likely got overstimulated (even though we had 3 good sized eggs at ovulation, another positive of having u/s, you know your working with good eggs or not). I ended up with horrible cramps and probably a cyst (couldn't confirm).
So if you have ever had cysts, you should absolutely be monitored, and if not I still think it is best for you. Just be sure and call on any weird symptoms and stick up for yourself out there, those Docs can be idiots and we know our bodies best!

Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search