O/T - Anyone had their wisdom teeth out?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Super Mommy
I'm going to be 32 in October and I'm terrified I'm going to need to get them out! The right side of my mouth all the way in the back has been sore for a few days.... Anyone had them out when they were older?
September 14th, 2010, 07:46 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yikes...I have never had them removed, but I have heard it doesn't feel good, so for your sake, I REALLY hope you can keep them.
Good luck, hun!!
September 14th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Jenn in DC's Avatar Super Mommy
I had one of my wisdom teeth removed when I was 32 (funny - is that a "magic age" for something like this?). I really, really did not want to have it done and I was absolutely terrified. I actually made DH come with my and stay in the room holding my hand the whole time. It turned out that I barely felt a thing. I felt the dentist give me the shots of novocaine but that wasn't that bad. Then all I felt was a little bit of tugging (which didn't hurt at all) and the procedure was done before I knew it. I was worried that I would be in a lot of pain after the novocaine wore off but I wasn't. I also worried that my mouth would bleed alot for a long time. My mouth bled a bit for the next 12 hours or so but that wasn't too bad either. Then it healed up really well. So, overall I think I was really worrying a lot more than I needed to. If you do have to have one pulled, I hope that you also find that this is easier and less painful than expected.

Cheers,

Jenn
Started TTC #1 July 2009
Summer 2010 - Three IUIs with Clomid & Gonal F - All BFNs
Winter 2011 - IVF Clinical Trial. Cycle Cancelled.
March 2011 - Minimal Stimulation IVF #1 - 2 eggs retrieved, fertilized and frozen on Day 3.
April 2011 - Mini-IVF #2 - 2 eggs retrieved, fertilized and frozen as expanded blasts on Day 5.
May 2011 - Mini-IVF #3 - 4 eggs retrieved (two mature and 2 immature), one egg made it to blast and was frozen. Five snowbabies in all!! Hysteroscopy.
July 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP and then miscarriage

November 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!! Aven Robert Born on August 4, 2012

July 2014 - Got Pregnant Naturally with Twins! Miscarriage at 9 weeks.
November 2014 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!
Beta #1 12 DPO = 45
Beta #2 14 DPO = 118
Beta #3 21 DPO = 3,451
September 14th, 2010, 08:09 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had 2 of them out when I was 16 and the other 2 out 2 months ago at the age of 41! It really isn't as bad as you hear about. The worst part was the shot of Novocaine! My mouth hurt for 3 days after but was controlled with pain medicine and I was back to eating regular foods within a week.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

September 14th, 2010, 08:33 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I had 3 of mine cut out when I was 27 One was growing in funny, and the other two were buried pretty deep (the fouth never developed, so I only ever had 3 wisdom teeth).

They put me completely under since they were doing 3 teeth, so I didn't feel a thing until afterwards. Honestly the worst part was getting home and seeing all the bloody gauze they had stuffed in there...I don't mind blood, but seeing a sink full of my own made me a little queasy. I drank a chocolate milkshake on the way home (doctor's orders!), and then soft stuff for the next few days. I only ever took ibprofen for the pain (I had a prescription for Lortab), but the swelling was annoying. I felt good enough to do normal stuff, but I looked like a chipmunk because of the swelling

All in all, the experience wasn't bad at all, and I'm SO glad to have it over with. I had it done before we did IVF, and it was nice to know I wouldn't have to deal with wisdom tooth issues along with IVF or pregnancy or while I had a small child. Good luck!!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

September 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had all 4 removed when I was in my senior year of high school. I, too, was completely under because they were all being removed. I seriously only ate jello for 2 days because my mouth was so sore, and I (although it's rare!) got an infection and was pretty sick for a few extra days because of it. I won't lie, it's not a great experience, but if you have a good doctor, your recovery time should be minimal!

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

September 14th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had all 4 removed at once as well, but I think the pain really depends on how your wisdom teeth have grown in. Some people they're growing in pretty normal but need them removed due to room so it's like pulling any other tooth and not that bad. Mine were growing in sideways, so into the roots of my other teeth rather than up. I stayed home the next day and did it over a weekend so had a bit more recovery time. My dentist didn't put me to sleep and I'd NEVER go for that again! I could smell everything and feel the pressure and see what was happening, so being put out is the way to go. I didn't swell up the way most people do and just remember that day being the worst.

I think better to do it now than later when they are causing problems and it hurts even more to get them out Yes, that's me trying to find the positive in having your wisdom teeth out...

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 14th, 2010, 09:53 AM
tyggrlili25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to tyggrlili25 Send a message via Yahoo to tyggrlili25
I had all four of mine removed at the same time as well and was put under. It was a breeze really. I think the worst part of it was the IV and it was because it was someone new doing it and had no idea hat they were doing. The healing, swelling and pain were not bad at all. I think I took maybe 2 pain killers after words and then I was fine. You do have to eat soft foods for a while but it really isnt as bad as its made out to be. *HUGS* you will be fine!

September 14th, 2010, 10:25 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had mine out in college, and I was put under for it. It really wasn't bad at all- I didn't even end up using any painkillers.
September 14th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I had 2 removed when i was 21. I requested nitrous and erm.. passed out because it dropped my blood pressure too low. I waited too long to have my bottom 2 removed and now I can't because there is nerve attached and they are impacted so they basically told me I had an 80% chance of losing feeling in my lower jaw if they removed them. So I am stuck with 2 impacted wisdom teeth that bother me from time to time.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
September 14th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
I had all four out..but i was 18. So im not much help..however it was great..i didnt really swell and they gave me great meds so it didnt hurt hardly at all!! good luck!
September 14th, 2010, 11:56 AM
adnelg775's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had all 4 removed when I was about 23. I was put under, and I had an oral surgeon do the procedure. I bled for a few hours afterwards, but had NO swelling, ate a regular dinner that night, and was on Narcotics for 24 hours, then I switched to Advil. Oh, but a week or so after, I could feel that all my teeth were loose a little bit. In the end, they "resettled" and it was a good thing, because they had been pushed together too much from the wisdom teeth. All in all, I would do it again in a heartbeat!

September 14th, 2010, 11:57 AM
casiecole's Avatar Regular
i was 24 i had all four out and was put under.....it was easy...afterwards i went to watch my friends 3 girls and i was fine just couldnt chew too good...the meds helped

September 14th, 2010, 01:13 PM
eccomi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i had all three of mine out my first year in college (the fourth one never developed apparently ). all of mine were impacted so it was a day surgery and i woke up all puffy and bruised. i was pretty miserable that first day but already the next day i was feeling much better (not 100% of course but much better in comparison with the day before). it took probably a week for my bruises to go away though. GL!

cycles 1-16: TTC naturally, all BFNs
cycle 17 & 18: not TTC (due to diagnostic tests)
october 14: RE appt with follow-up hysteroscopy + saline sonogram... TUBES ARE CLEAR!
cycle 19, 20 & 21: natural TTC cycles = BFNs
cycle 22: another natural cycle, but preparing for our first IUI with injectables for cycle 23! FINALLY!!!
FEBRUARY 10th... our very first when we least expected it!!!

october 26th... our little miracle arrived via c-section at 12:19pm weighing 3.920 kilos! we are in love.
September 14th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Veteran
I had all four of mine out, and it wasn't too bad. I was completely knocked out though for it. For recovery, I just took advil and ate soft foods. Felt fine within a couple of days. The horrid part is two of them have come back. While rare, apparently it is possible. Good luck!

September 14th, 2010, 03:28 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I had mine out when i was 18... so ii guess that probably doens't count! I was a nancy and got general anesthesia. I enjoyed being "out". In my case it wasn't bad. They gave me vicodin and i didn't need most of it. I did get really swollen though. I looked like a chipmunk with yellowy bruised cheeks. I got a rare side effect called "dry socket" on two of the 3 teeth. This is where the bone gets exposed to air. HURT, but i went back in and they packed them for me and it was much bette.r

oh also, i was able to eat regular foods the same day. Just had to wait for the novacaine to wear off.

September 14th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have to have all four of mine out next year sometime.... perfect timing since I"ll have a little one running around under my feet! **Hopefully!**

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

September 14th, 2010, 08:55 PM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Send a message via AIM to LindseyMarie
I just got mine out in june, and although I had a few complications I don't regret it!

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

September 15th, 2010, 08:48 AM
*KittyCat*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my husband is having his out very soon. He's having both the bottom ones out. They are coming through at 45 degrees and the pressure from them has cracked the adjoining molars, they have become impacted, so they have to come out too.

I think whether they have to come out or not depending on what kind of position they are in, if they are causing you or your other teeth trouble.

He's not having a general anasthetic, he's being sedated. He'll be awake, but totally out of it if you know what i mean. There but not there!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search