sorry to start a new thread - misdiagnosed? is it possible?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm really confused. A well meaning friend sent me a bunch of information on misdiagnosed miscarriages which talk about how often a doctor misdiagnosis a probably miscarriage because of an undetected heartbeat and then a week later the heartbeat is seen. This of course has my hopes up, but I've never even heard of this, but a few people mentioned this in the loss thread. I was really confused yesterday and in shock and didn't ask any of the right questions. This morning I called and they were nice enough to walk me through what they said yesterday and for the one embryo, the getstastional sack is 18mm, the fetal pole is 5mm (and grew from the first time). The other one is exactly as last time. Am I just being dumb to hold out hope that on Thursday we will see a heartbeat?

I feel like I have slipped into the type of denial I warn my own patients about. You tell them that they have a 30% chance of surviving a year, and suddenly they are making five year plans. Thinking they'll be the one. Or you wheel them in for a biopsy, and they are convinced all the blood work will have been a fluke.

I went from complete dispair and heartwrenching pain last night, to a feeling today that this just can't be over. Perhaps I am just in denial. A wonderful copying mechanism.

I called out this week for work. Although I'm doing much better today, I know with my mind like this, I could easily make a mistake at work.

I'm so confused.

September 2009 IVF - BFN; November IVF -Ec topic Pregnancy; May 2010- IVF cycle- BFN,
July 2010 IVF cycle: BFP - m/c induced at 8 weeks because of no heartbeat
March 2011 IVF: BFP!!!
September 14th, 2010, 09:05 AM
tyggrlili25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to tyggrlili25 Send a message via Yahoo to tyggrlili25
*HUGS* I want to say first that I hope and pray this is all just a big mistake and when you go in on Thursday you will see a beautiful heartbeat. I am praying for you and your little bean in there!
I also have to say this happened to me as well...my doctor convinced me I had lost my baby. I went in a week later and there was a beautiful heartbeat. That is my now almost 2 year old. So I know it DOES happen. I am praying you get that same miracle too hon.

September 14th, 2010, 09:20 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think there is anything wrong with holding on to a little hope for you ultrasound on Thursday. It is possible in early pregnancy for an ultrasound to miss things or for a small delay to make a big difference in what you see. I will be thinking of you and hoping that you have a miracle later this week! Huge hugs
September 14th, 2010, 09:28 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Addie I think its possible...if the fetal pole HAS grown then there is a chance.

Did they tell you how many weeks the one with the fetal pole is measuring..is it WAY behind or is it only a few days off??

September 14th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
HUGS! i sure hope that is the case!! Ill be thinking of you as you wait for your next ultrasound.. i sure hope that is the case! BIG HUGE HUGS!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
September 14th, 2010, 10:06 AM
adnelg775's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am still hoping!!!

September 14th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hope is a great thing. Miracles happen every day... and I'll be praying for yours on Thursday! I pray both of your sweet beans have a beautiful heartbeat. Thinking about you.

September 14th, 2010, 10:14 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know that I read plenty of stories on JM about no heartbeat and then a week later...BOOM...there it is. I don't think it is silly to hold onto hope and I don't think it would be out of the question if you were to ask to be seen again next week (if thursdays results are not in your favor)...just to be sure.

I know that if it were me, and I acted quickly....I would probably rack my brain with thoughts like maybe I just needed another week to see a hb? what if that was a perfectly healthy baby just a little behind? a slow grower?

Sometimes situations defy what we know or expect.
September 14th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Checking in on you Addie. I was very sad to see you had bad news BUT there is still hope. I have a friend who got a similar diagnosis and her doctor told her to go home and wait to miscarry. She didn't. Two weeks later there was a strong heartbeat and now her little girl is about 4 months old. I have also heard that with twins they are both likely to develop a little slower so even the one with no change might still catch up.

It's not over until it's over - and I don't think there is anything wrong with holding onto a little bit of hope until then.

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

September 14th, 2010, 12:00 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Of couse it is possible that you were misdiagnosed!! I was told that my pregnancy with Claire was not viable, and spent the first 9 weeks with them telling me that the sac was too small, I was a week behind where I should have been, etc. etc. and everything turned out fine. I did a lot of reading/research, and IVF babies are often behind on the ultrasounds...especially when there is a twin that doesn't survive.

I hate that you are in limbo...I know you'd rather have concrete answers so you can formulate a plan for where to go from here. My fingers are crossed, and I hope that the end of your week is far better than the beginning

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

September 14th, 2010, 12:32 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally agree that you could have been misdiagnosed...I mean, 7 weeks is still SO early to see a heartbeat!
I wouldn't lose hope yet! I will be praying hard for you that the doctors are wrong & when you go in for your ultrasound, you see a beautiful heartbeat!!!
Miracles happen daily!
September 14th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Praying for you Addie! I think it's great to have hope

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 14th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
There is something to be said for your feeling deep down that it can't be over. In my experience when it was over I knew. I knew that I would get pregnant but that I would lose the baby when I was leaving the clinic after my IUI. Unfortunately I was right.

With my pregnancy that was meant to be I knew it was going to work out. Deep down I just had that feeling. Even when the dr told me it wasn't viable because my hcg # was too low and even when I was bleeding and had to wait 4 days in limbo until my ultrasound.
September 14th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Angel_Maker
I have everything crossed that you get a wonderful surprise on Thursday
September 14th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hopingfor1soon's Avatar Expecting a Miracle!
Send a message via MSN to Hopingfor1soon Send a message via Yahoo to Hopingfor1soon
There is still SOOO much hope!! I posted in your other thread about my experience but I had no hope and now look at me! Have you had any bleeding at all? If not I would say that is an excellent sign...especially since the one sac and fetal pole did show some growth. Even if you do have some bleeding dont worry too much (easier said than done I know) I bled multiple times with this pregnancy and it was all because I lost the twin, our LO is still going strong! ...I am also curious did they tell you how far behind you were measuring???

September 14th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Dóchas's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Dóchas
I'm sorry you have to go through this honey I will keep you in my prayers that you get some great news soon.

[SIZE="3"]

September 14th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Jasonswife99's Avatar Super Mommy
Misdiagnosed miscarriages do happen... Check out this website: The Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Site

Forever missing our angels...
April 25, 2010 & January 4, 2010
September 14th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Addie, I have been praying non-stop that you have a little "Pokey" on your hands... I won't stop! There has to have been a mistake!

You should still have hope and if you run out, you can have some of mine!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

September 15th, 2010, 04:58 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've seen it happen to others before. There is definately still hope but I understand the feeling of not getting them up too high. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
September 15th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm hoping that tomorrow you will find out that you are one who as beaten the odds!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search