HSG: poll and questions

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: How bad was it?
I took meds and still felt like I wanted to die. 7 30.43%
I felt like I wanted to die but did not take anything beforehand. 2 8.70%
I took meds and it wasn't too bad. 8 34.78%
Didn't take meds, but it really wasn't bad. 2 8.70%
It didn't hurt at all, but I took meds. 4 17.39%
I'm superwoman. No meds AND no pain. 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2010, 10:29 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Tell me about your experience. Did you take anything before? How bad did it hurt? Anything you'd do different next time? What about after the fact? Was there any cramping/pain afterwards?

If the HSG showed scarring, what was done to fix it?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
September 14th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
Dont wanna scare you..so i thought i would tell you i had issues..thats probably why it hurt so much..that and the fact that i am a big baby and dont take pain well! LOL!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
September 14th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Super Mommy
I had an HSG done during my last cycle. I took 800mg of Advil about an hour before the procedure as directed.

To be honest, I was most worried about the speculum part since that is sometimes painful for me, but my RE is awesome and that went smoothly. He talked me through the whole thing, which lasted only about 5 minutes, if that.

One thing I had read online was the insertion of the catheter can sometimes be painful if your cervix isn't open. I had also read if your dr tells you to cough, that means that they're awesome because when they tell you to cough, they are injecting something to numb your cervix so you don't feel anything. Sure enough my RE told me to cough and then went ahead and threaded the catheter in. I barely felt anything. So far, so good.

Once the catheter was in, he injected the dye and I got to watch it flow in on the screen. Everything was open and looked good. Once the dye was in I felt some cramping, worse than AF cramps, but tolerable. I laid there for a few minutes and then got dressed and walked out.

I met DH in the waiting room and then walked out of radiology and almost fainted. For whatever reason when I get stressed out about tests like that, I tend to get a reaction after the fact once it's over and feel like I'm going to pass out. Weird I know, but it happens. Then the cramps hit me. They were like 1,000x worse than AF cramps I was doubled over in pain and sat down in the hallway and tried my best not to pass out. DH got me some water and I took 2 more Advil and sat there for a while. Finally the cramps came down to a tolerable level and I felt ok enough to walk out to the car.

I hope I didn't scare you off! Just wanted to share my experience... Feel free to ask me any questions....
September 14th, 2010, 11:57 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm getting an HSG soon too- great poll!
September 14th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filly78 View Post
I met DH in the waiting room and then walked out of radiology and almost fainted.
Was DH not allowed back with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie0505 View Post
Dont wanna scare you..so i thought i would tell you i had issues..thats probably why it hurt so much..that and the fact that i am a big baby and dont take pain well! LOL!
Mind if I ask what issues? Did they find blockage?

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
September 14th, 2010, 12:27 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, at my office, nobody is allowed to go in the room with you, which SUCKED because I'm a huge baby & wanted my husband.
Being alone is the worst part to me.
The amount of pressure you feel is immense, but it doesn't last long, so don't be too worried.
I hope it's totally painless for you!!
September 14th, 2010, 12:31 PM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought I'd put my 2 cents in as well. I also had a pretty bad experience, and taking meds beforehand seemed to do nothing to help. I had extreme cramping that was like nothing I'd experienced up to that point. My pain lasted a total of about 20-30 minutes from beginning to end.

DH was not allowed back. Because it's radiology, they usually make them wait outside the x-ray room. However, that all being said, I've none several people who have had them, and most people said it was uncomfortable but not painful.

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
September 14th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My experience was ok! All I took was Advil about an hour before. Got in and just felt slight cramping until the dye went in. For about 30s on my right side it killed! No pain on my left side though. But, as soon as they stopped the dye, the pain stopped too. So, I put that I took meds but it was ok, because for 30s and a day that just felt like normal AF cramps for me... can't say it was that bad

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 14th, 2010, 01:04 PM
eccomi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
to be honest, i had a hysteroscopy rather than an HSG but since they are very similar (in both cases you're having something inserted via your cervix into your uterus and then liquid injected) i voted all the same.

mine hurt like heck because they couldn't get the endoscope past my cervix. the other women that were having the same procedure done that day with me didn't seem to think it was too bad though (they had successful hysteroscopies while mine failed ). i go back for an operative hysteroscopy on thursday (with anesthesia this time... phew! ).

p.s. after mine i found out that they say that if all is well then the pain is minimal, but if there's something awry then that is when it's a more painful procedure...

cycles 1-16: TTC naturally, all BFNs
cycle 17 & 18: not TTC (due to diagnostic tests)
october 14: RE appt with follow-up hysteroscopy + saline sonogram... TUBES ARE CLEAR!
cycle 19, 20 & 21: natural TTC cycles = BFNs
cycle 22: another natural cycle, but preparing for our first IUI with injectables for cycle 23! FINALLY!!!
FEBRUARY 10th... our very first when we least expected it!!!

october 26th... our little miracle arrived via c-section at 12:19pm weighing 3.920 kilos! we are in love.

Last edited by eccomi; September 14th, 2010 at 01:08 PM.
September 14th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
voted wrong. finger slipped.
I didn't take meds and I didn't feel any pain.

I do however have a freakishly high pain tolerance. I have had two cesareans without taking drugs during recovery.

as for the hsg I had some cramping but it wasn't anything major.
September 14th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Super Mommy
DH was not allowed to come back with me. Only the RE, a radiologist and a nurse were in the room with me. I wish he was there though - the nurse was not comforting in the least!
September 14th, 2010, 02:16 PM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine wasn't horrible. It was totally and completely uncomfortable, but I didn't have much pain. I did get cramps, but I get ridiculous AF cramps, so it's all the same to me.

One thing I wanted to mention is how important it is to just go to your happy place. I made the mistake of reading as much as I could about the procedure, and then looking at the instruments the nurse had prepped. I nearly passed out before anything even happened, and I was weak and shaking the entire afternoon after the HSG. When I had my IUI (which is sort of similar I guess) I was given a magazine to look at while everything was going on. It was SO much better.

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

September 14th, 2010, 02:18 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I was the "didn't take anything but wanted to die"

In reality the placement of the catheter was the only bad part. They had me on a CT type table with no stirrups and the doc had a hard time finding my cervix. The speculum was huge, metal, and painful. My cervix would not cooperate and they had to use a dialator. I was literally screaming and crying while my husband held my hand. I have since found out than my cervix curls over on itself... no wonder! If your cervix is normal, you should not have this problem!!! So don't let that experience scare you too much.

The actual test was painless. I truly felt nothing. The put in the dye and everything lit up. I had a partial blockage on the left. The doc tried really hard to blast it open with the dye. Who knows if it actually worked.

I had no cramping afterward either. Just lots of bleeding from the evil dialator.

I got pregnant the next cycle.

September 15th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The worst part about my HSG was when they inserted the speculum because the tech didn't use any lubricant! Ouch! Otherwise I had some slight cramping when they put the catheter in my cervix and that was it. I felt a bit of pressure when they injected the dye but no pain. The whole procedure was maybe 5 minutes. But, I did spot for the rest of the day - so bring a pad in case they don't have one to give you (or in my case, they give you a humongous one).

What I had imagined and worked up in my imagination was much, much worse than the actual HSG.

I hope it goes well for you.
September 16th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Hospital called to pre-register me today. I'm a bit nervous!

September 16th, 2010, 09:03 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
*Hugs* don't be scared. All in all its very quick and hopefully they can give you some good info to get you preggers!

September 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My HSG was a breeze. DH was not allowed with me. I took a couple tylenol about an hour before. The HSG honestly felt like a bad pap. I did not have blockage, so the dye going in didn't hurt.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

September 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Sota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To be honest my HSG was a cake walk compared to my IUI. I think the radiologist was just really good at getting the catheter in and it didn't hurt at all. I took 800 mg of motrin prior to the test and only had mild cramping afterwards. Dh was not allowed in the room when I had it done. I did have tubal abnormalities, but my lap showed that they were not as bad as the HSG indicated.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search