operative hysteroscopy (really long... sorry!)

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2010, 11:06 AM
eccomi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
today was my operative hysteroscopy (after my failed "normal" hysteroscopy in july)...
all in all i'd say it was a success though i am feeling a bit perplexed in the aftermath.

our appointment was in florence at 10am so we were out the door by 7:30am this morning. we arrived to the clinic right on time to find it JAM PACKED with people. every time we go there are lots of people but today there wasn't even a spot to sit in the waiting room! apparently the better part of their staff was out sick today and it really backed things up.

luckily, i was called right away (along with another woman who was having the same procedure as me, we ended up sharing a room). as for the procedure... this time it was pretty much a breeze... PHEW! i wasn't completely out but i was definitely in la-la land thanks to the anesthesia. i do remember that at one point something they did HURT and i kind of jumped (even though i was strapped in to the stirrups) but other than that it's kind of a blur. they took me back to my room and i slept there for probably a good hour (if not more). eventually they came back to wake us up and my doctor popped in for a nano second to say that everything went well, that my uterus looks fine and that with the anesthesia they were able to get into my uterus just fine (which made me feel like it was my fault that the first hysteroscopy failed ). when i stood up i realized that in the hour of sleeping i had bled quite a bit (sorry TMI!) but luckily they had put in the bed one of those diaper-like pads. anyway, i asked my roommate (who was getting ready to go home, too) if she was bleeding and she said no. i'm still wearing a pad at the moment and more or less it's like i'm on my period (but i'm not). so obviously they did something up there, otherwise i don't think i'd be bleeding so much.

last time after the procedure the doctor called us in for a consulation and explained everthing to us in detail and answered all of our questions. today that didn't happen (i'm assuming because they were so far behind). so basically i'm left with quite a few questions and nobody to answer them. i think i'll try either phoning or emailing our RE in a few days when (hopefully) things will quiet down at the clinic for them.

on my way out i was given photos taken from the hysteroscopy> five photos are all pink and uniform, i'm assuming they are the insides of my uterus. three photos are of what appears to my cervix and an instrument which i'm assuming they used to help get past my cervix. on my write up that they gave me (all in medical jargon AND italian at that! ) i can decipher that i had cervical stenosis of the upper third of my cervix and that they lysed (?) it using some sort of instrument (i'm assuming the one that i saw in the photos). now, they've booked me in for ANOTHER post-operative hysteroscopy in one month (a normal one, not operative, so no anesthesia).

in all honesty i thought that once i had a successful hysteroscopy (like this one) that i'd be done with that and we could go on to the next step. now i know i have to go back for yet another next month. i'm assuming if that one is successful then we'll *finally* get to move on to the next step to help diagnose why we aren't getting our BFP.

cycles 1-16: TTC naturally, all BFNs
cycle 17 & 18: not TTC (due to diagnostic tests)
october 14: RE appt with follow-up hysteroscopy + saline sonogram... TUBES ARE CLEAR!
cycle 19, 20 & 21: natural TTC cycles = BFNs
cycle 22: another natural cycle, but preparing for our first IUI with injectables for cycle 23! FINALLY!!!
FEBRUARY 10th... our very first when we least expected it!!!

october 26th... our little miracle arrived via c-section at 12:19pm weighing 3.920 kilos! we are in love.
September 16th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Super Mommy
Amy - I'm glad to hear the procedure went a lot smoother this time. I would have assumed the same as you - that once you had the procedure done you wouldn't have to do it again. That stinks you didn't get to talk to your dr to ask why you have to do it again... I would definitely call and ask. Sometimes I think drs like to do more procedures than necessary! If things up there look good, why look again, you know?
September 16th, 2010, 11:23 AM
thanks filly! my thoughts exactly. the other woman who shared the room with me was given the exact same directions as me (another hysteroscopy in one month). *sigh*

october 14: RE appt with follow-up hysteroscopy + saline sonogram... TUBES ARE CLEAR!
cycle 22: another natural cycle, but preparing for our first IUI with injectables for cycle 23! FINALLY!!!

october 26th... our little miracle arrived via c-section at 12:19pm weighing 3.920 kilos! we are in love.
September 16th, 2010, 11:40 AM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's good to hear that you were able to get this done and had a good outlook. As far as why you have to do it again, maybe it's so that they can check on the location where they lysed (had to look this up), to see if it's improved.
I can sympathize with you not getting answers and feeling totally confused. My RE clinic is super busy and I get that a lot as well. I just call and call and call and call, and if nobody calls me back, I call and call again. You definitely deserve to be able to know why you've got to go back for a procedure, but also should be able to ask details about your results. Good luck... be persistent about getting answers from them.

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

September 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad the procedure went well, but that stinks you have to go back again Hopefully that will be the last step before getting your BFP!
September 16th, 2010, 11:56 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad it went well!
Sorry you didn't get to talk to your doctor like you wanted to..I would most definitely call.
It may just be procedure there to get one done a month later to check to make sure they fixed the issue.
Good luck, hun!
September 16th, 2010, 12:49 PM
LindseyandJoeinAL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank heavens things are in the "so far, so good" category! Also thank heavens for (mostly) painless procedures. I would definitely have a list of questions for your RE including what's next? Assuming your next hysteroscopy is good, what will they do next?

Thanks for the update and congratulations on an excellent uterus!
TTC baby #2

lap surgery Apr 2010 stage 2 endo removed
IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
Wonderful, sweet daughter Khloe born August 2011
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
2nd lap surgery Dec 2012 stage 1 endo removed
IUI Apr 2013 cancelled due to producing 10 mature follicles
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN
IVF #4 Nov 2013 BFP! on 8dp3dt
Expecting boy/girl twins 8/1/14

September 16th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So glad to hear it went well. I hope you get answers soon to your unanswered questions. I also hope the next month flies so you can get back on the fast track to that BFP!

September 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM
hollann1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im glad that everything went smooth this time. I hope that your next one next month goes well too and you guys are able to make a plan as to how to get you that baby

** Thank you Oona for the awesome siggy**
September 17th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad its over, and that things went smoothly. I do think its odd that they would have you go back for another HSG, but it sounds like its standard procedure. I would definitely send them an email with all of your questions. Do you have a post op appointment? That is when we went over the details of my surgery and i could ask questions. I hope the bleeding has subsided. Sounds like things are moving in the right direction.

Thank you Sara (misfitinmn) for my awesome siggy!

September 18th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am frustrated for you Amy. Just because of how long you have been waiting for each step in this process. Maybe you won't need to go back next month. *dust* I'm glad it went well though. Do you know what the next step is after a good hysteroscopy? More tests? IUI?

September 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM
to all of you ladies for your kind words and support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurenj915 View Post
I am frustrated for you Amy. Just because of how long you have been waiting for each step in this process. Maybe you won't need to go back next month. *dust*
unfortunately, we've missed our window this cycle (i usually O on CD 12 or 13 and my procedure was on CD 12 and now i'm having to put in suppositories (i think that's what they're called in english? ) for another two days to prevent infection (so no BDing). next cycle the hysteroscopy is scheduled for my CD 14 so no trying next cycle either. *sigh* i just hate the waiting. i wish we could just know and then move on to our game plan.

Quote:
Do you know what the next step is after a good hysteroscopy? More tests? IUI?
good question lauren... had we been able to speak with our RE i think we would have a better idea. at this point i honestly don't know what is next on the agenda after we have this next hysteroscopy. i'll keep you posted.

BTW> how are things going with you?

September 19th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccomi View Post

BTW> how are things going with you?
I have to say that you handle ever set back with a grace and optimism. I'm sorry you missed your window this month.

I'm doing good. I've been so busy with the school year starting an IVF cycle at the same time. I don't know how people work full time and do IVF, I have never missed so much work in my life!

September 20th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope that after your next procedure they can get you on track for our BFP!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search