Progesterone/HCG support in an IUI cycle question ( loss men )

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Super Mommy
Hello ladies,
I was on here for awhile late last year through early this year . I got pregnant in April from our first IUI with injectables . We were going to have twins but lost both . After the miscarriage they sent them away for testing and e foudn otu that they were both boys that were chromosomally normal . Some comfort I guess but the hard part was that they can't tell us why it happened . I have PCOS and I am sure that I suffer from low progesterone . I know lots of RE's will supplament with progesterone in an IUI cycle but not so many use HCG boosters unless you do IVF . We are trying on our on this month because I coudl not bare not to try . Hubby will do a short deployment for a month in October and then we are going back to the RE to do an IUI, our first since we lost the twins . I have a really good feeling about November but I want to take every precaution possible . When e were trying to get pregnant with low level fertility help IE: clomid,metformin, hen they did blood draws at the normal scheduled times my progesterone was really low, even when I did ovulate it was low . I asked my RE at the start of our last IUI cycle about progesterone but I did not ask him about the HCG . With the progesterone he said it is not normally something they do but that they can... He is old school, very old school but open to trying things and very open to my ideas . I am sure that this upcoming cycle he will let me try it to calm my nerves . How did your REs do the progesterone and or HCG suplaments? Did you use HCG and progesterone, or one or the other . was it an injection, pill or some other form? and when did you start and stop it ? What else did your DRs do for an IUI cycle? Thanks !! I am so super excited for november to come and plan to lose some weight and exercise for the rest of this month and part of October.. I just want to be more prepared.. maybe there is something I can do or be treated with to give this next possible pregnancy a chance for success .
September 19th, 2010, 01:58 AM
sweetdreamer1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
well when i got pregnant last time.. my dr immediately put me on pregesterone pills..thats from 15dpo till 12th week of my pregnancy..! and in between at about 5weeks and 8weeks he gave me the hcg boost shots..!i have a beautiful 3yr old girl from all of that..! good luck for coming nnovember..!

My BFP Chart
pregnancy/baby blog pw. 0000

September 19th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know exactly what you mean by HCG supplements -- I've never heard of this.

For both of my IUI cycles, I did an HCG trigger (which some people don't do and instead use OPKs and just time the IUI well) and endometrium suppositories, which is progesterone.

Endometrium suppositories should give you enough progesterone. During an IVF cycle, you usually have to use intra muscular shots of progesterone. But this would be an extreme measure for an IUI cycle, as your hormones are not disrupted the way things are in an IVF cycle.

I think you should ask for endometrium. Best of luck and I hope this is all you need! And I'm so sorry for your loss.

September 2009 IVF - BFN; November IVF -Ec topic Pregnancy; May 2010- IVF cycle- BFN,
July 2010 IVF cycle: BFP - m/c induced at 8 weeks because of no heartbeat
March 2011 IVF: BFP!!!
September 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
tyggrlili25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to tyggrlili25 Send a message via Yahoo to tyggrlili25
Sorry about your loss's *HUGS*
I didnt do an IUI but I miscarried a couple years ago due to low progesterone and my current dd was held onto because of Progesterone. And now we are ttc again I am once again on progesterone. The first time was progesterone cream and thats what helped me keep my dd. But this time the cream didnt work. I tried progesterone pill (prometrium) and it didnt do anything for me. So now I am on Progesterone vaginal suppositories and it seems to be working for me. hopefully it helps support my next pregnancy. Good luck!

September 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'm sorry about your losses (((HUGS))) I am glad that you have a positive outlook about trying again and hope everything goes well!

I was never diagnosed with low progesterone (all of my tests came back fine) but I would start to spot about 11DPO. During my last couple of IUIs, I did booster shots of HCG to help with progesterone. This differs from just using progesterone supplements because the HCG stimulates your body to make its own extra progesterone instead of just adding some to your system. I did 2,000 unit boosters 1, 4, and 7 days after ovulation. This cleared up my spotting, but unfortunately I did not get pregnant.

For my IVF cycle, I did 1,000 unit boosters on the same days, along with intramuscular injections of progesterone every day. I did not have spotting, and fortunately the cycle was successful. My progesterone levels were always off the charts.

I believe that the HCG boosters definitely helped me, and I"d ask your doc about it!

ETA: The HCG boosters can REALLY screw up your pregnancy testing. I would get BFPs 14DPO and they weren't real...they were still the boosters. Definitely wait as long as you can to test, and be wary of any BFPs you get until you are SURE that all the HCG has left your system!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

Last edited by KMH; September 19th, 2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Cautionary Tale about testing and HCG boosters
September 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I took progesterone for the entire first trimester of my second pregnancy because I had a short luteal phase and an early loss in 2008.
September 19th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
I did an HCG trigger and endometrium suppositories were added before after a positive test. We didn't do IUI though. We did clomid, monitoring, trigger, and TI.

made by BAM

September 19th, 2010, 02:41 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry for your losses!
Hoping life works out for you really soon, hun!
September 19th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Veteran
the re puts me on prog. (crinone-its a suppository form) the day after the last iui and I continue for 2 wks when I take a preg. test and discontinue w/ a BFN or continue for 10 wks w/a BFP. I never had low prog. they do it as a precautionary measure. hope that helps!
September 20th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry for your losses. I used progesterone suppositories, 50mg twice a day, from 2dpiui until beta day. If I had gotten a BFP I would have continued through the first trimester.

You can also ask your DR about checking for insulin resistance. Metformin can reduce the risk for miscarriage in PCOS ladies and brings it down to normal range.

Good luck in November.... keep us posted!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

September 20th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
With my IUIs, my RE did the HCG shot to trigger ovulation, but didn't continue those for supplementing progesterone. Instead, I always took Prometrium after my IUIs. I took it in the pill form from 2 dpiui until AF showed.

During my IVF cycle, I did the progesterone in oil (injection) after the retrieval. After my bfp, my RE switched me to Crinone (vaginal progesterone gel) and continued that until I was 14 weeks pregnant. Usually you stop the progesterone around 10 weeks, but I was having a lot of bleeding/spotting throughout my 1st trimester, so my OB kept me on the progesterone longer than normal.
September 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks guys !! I am taking metformin XR for pcos now . I as on it hen I got pregnant but the doctor at the naval hospital here said I should go off of it . My RE said not to until I was 13 weeks .. The DR at the naval Hospital was so convincing, so I stopped taking it . He said basically metformin only helps to get you pregnant if you have PCOS so there is no need to keep taking it . I did not know any better and I hope that my stopping it was not what caused me to lose my twins . Still I have started taking it again . Before I as on the regular met but since they switched me to the XR formula it is soo much better . This time I think I may stay on it my entire pregnancy if I am indeed pregnant this cycle . Once I find out if I am pregnant I will make an Appointment with my RE to get on progesterone for sure . If this time did not work then it's on to IUI in november .
September 20th, 2010, 08:52 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I was on progesterone suppositories with this pregnancy until 14 weeks. I had previously suffered repeat m/c. Not sure if progesterone was the actual problem, but something worked this time!

I'm so sorry for you losses, and am hopeful this IUI works out!

September 20th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiliz View Post
Thanks guys !! I am taking metformin XR for pcos now . I as on it hen I got pregnant but the doctor at the naval hospital here said I should go off of it . My RE said not to until I was 13 weeks .. The DR at the naval Hospital was so convincing, so I stopped taking it . He said basically metformin only helps to get you pregnant if you have PCOS so there is no need to keep taking it . I did not know any better and I hope that my stopping it was not what caused me to lose my twins . Still I have started taking it again . Before I as on the regular met but since they switched me to the XR formula it is soo much better . This time I think I may stay on it my entire pregnancy if I am indeed pregnant this cycle . Once I find out if I am pregnant I will make an Appointment with my RE to get on progesterone for sure . If this time did not work then it's on to IUI in november .

It depends on the Dr with the Met. My RE was actually going to take me off it but decided to let the OB decide. Well my OB sent me to the high risk OB and he decided to keep me on it the whole pregnancy, well I stopped taking it the last month because I noticed I would throw up the meals I took it with. I was on the pogest till 12 weeks.

made by BAM

September 20th, 2010, 12:03 PM
jitterbunny's Avatar Super Mommy
get the HCG trigger shot so you will know when you ovulate. I believe most women ovulate 12-36 hours after the trigger. That way you will know exactly when to start the progesterone supplements.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search