RE vs OB/GYN?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2010, 09:46 AM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been seeing my OB/GYN for fertility stuff this whole time. We've done the usual tests, bloodwork to see if I have PCOS, ultrasounds, SA, HSG, Clomid, IUI... and still I have no explanation for why nothing is working, or what I'm doing wrong, or anything like that. IUI is the last part my OB/GYN can take care of.

Would it be better if I saw an RE instead? Would he be able to tell me anything different? I understand that if I need to move past IUI to IVF, I would need to see the RE, but I'm not financially prepped for that yet. I guess it doesn't matter?

No clue... help appreciated!

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

September 23rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
hmm I'm not sure. I see the OB/GYN at the fertility clinic. I've only met the actual RE once and it was because the OB/GYN was at a meeting.

I've never had an issue but I would think if you needed more answers it wouldn't hurt to speak with the RE.
September 23rd, 2010, 10:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I definitely recommend seeing an RE. In my experience they are way more knowledgeable about infertility than OB/GYN's are. I also believe that RE's have a more extensive "bag of tricks" if you will. I did clomid with my OB, but it was never monitored and this is also the OB that wouldn't up my dose of clomid even after I never ovulated from 50mg. I think OB's are more hesitant at treating infertility than an RE. I don't think IUI was even an option with my OB, so at least your OB is willing to try a more agressive approach. And for the record, I adore my OB - I just found that my RE was willing to go the extra steps to get me pregnant. Hope this helps! GL!

September 23rd, 2010, 11:27 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
OB/GYNs, for the most part, deal with pregnant women. They do some training in infertility, but a lot of them don't have a lot of infertility patients. When we switched from an OB/GYN to an RE, it made a world of difference. We were able to have more tests, more treatment options, and more hope for a good outcome. His whole job was to get me pregnant! I would highly recommend seeing an RE if you can.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

September 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
Super Mommy
My ob/gyn recommended my RE after 4 failed cycles of clomid. I think (IMO) REs have a better/more indepth understanding of what's going on and deals with things more specifically vs. a regular ob/gyn who is more general with ttc.

September 23rd, 2010, 12:19 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just feel like RE's are much more knowledgeable about infertility than an OBGYN.
Good luck!
September 23rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
IMO, I think you should give you OB a shot especially if things are covered. I saw a gynecologist with a specialty in infertility. All of my tests basically concluded that nothing was wrong with us - they would say this was a factor but then rule it out (for example, I saw my OB's partner for my first IUI and he noted I had scar tissue on my cervix but the cath went right in...no problem - so I was told that we had a cervical factor. Then my OB took a look down there when i was on my period to see how my scar tissue impeded dialation and although there was scar tissue my cervix was still able to open correctly, so that got ruled out as a factor).

During my second IUI...I really doubted it would work and really contemplated contacting an RE. I even chatted with another JM'er Astrid about who she used since I would have to go into her neck of the woods cause we don't have an RE here.

You may end up with an RE, but I'm very glad that I gave my gynecologist a shot and if I were in your shoes, I would give her or him a few months (six at most before moving on). Patience is hard, I know. Honestly, my experiences with a gyn. are very similar to the ladies who used an RE for an IUI.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
September 23rd, 2010, 02:07 PM
Super Mommy
I went to my OB/GYN a few times for help when we first started trying. The only thing he did was give me Provera to bring on AF and then 50mg of Clomid. I was not monitored at all that cycle with b/w or u/s. He said he couldn't give me a higher dose of Clomid, I would need to see an RE and he gave me the name of one he recommeded.

I've been seeing the RE for 2 months now. He is definitely a lot more aggressive than my OB/GYN was and got right into trying a higher dose of Clomid and IUI. I'm actually going for my 2nd IUI tomorrow

I would definitely recommend going to an RE. Ask your OB/GYN who they recommend.
September 23rd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks so much everyone... this has really helped. I've been working with my OB/GYN since February, so I'm thinking that it's probably time to move on. I know which RE that he'd recommend as he's mentioned his name before, but I guess I'll have to ask if I need a referral or can just call and make an appointment.

Thanks again!

September 23rd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We started off seeing an OB that was a part of a Woman's Specialty Center. They can pretty much do everything that an RE office can aside from IVF and we stayed with them for about 10 months before moving onto the RE that they work with directly. Sooo... even after "leaving" that clinic we still went there for all of our monitoring and b/w. The RE is about a 2 hour drive so we opted to go to the satellite clinic in town and save the drive.

I think that if you have a knowledgeable OB then you can stick if out for awhile, but eventually you'll want the RE opinion and work up as well.

Good luck hun!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

September 23rd, 2010, 10:45 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
Well alot of times the RE will want to be sure you have been trying for a year before they do anything..however..if you have a known medical problem an RE would probably be best! I wish you the best hun! good luck!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
September 24th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Definitely have the year covered! Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. <3

September 24th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Jes, something else I wanted to add... I'm not sure if your OB has already thought of this, but an RE would also do BW and a SA on your DH. That way if your DH has an issue it can be addressed and fixed as well. He may have already had it done, I just wanted to throw that out there just in case because a lot of times we assume that we are the only ones with the problem that needs fixing. GL to you sweetie!

September 24th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Thanks Leah. Fortunately, DH has had that done twice, and we were able to determine he's sort of borderline (but had an improved second SA.) We also found out he has a pretty rare blood disease, but it's not supposed to affect fertility. Basically all we've been able to find out is that we're both borderline in a lot of things, which probably just means it'll take us forever to conceive, but it's still possible, I guess. I'm clueless, really.

September 24th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I'm glad (and impressed) your OB/GYN was on top of the possibilities - mine was clueless. I still think seeing an RE could be a huge help - getting fresh eyes on your situation may yield new findings and solutions. Did you decide to go ahead with the RE? It was actually a hard decision for me because I felt like I was cheating on my OB, (haha) but it sounds like yours is definitely on board.

September 24th, 2010, 08:38 AM
LindseyandJoeinAL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did I read in another post that you're in AL? If so, I would love to recommend my RE, he's in Mobile and I think the world of him.
TTC baby #2

lap surgery Apr 2010 stage 2 endo removed
IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
Wonderful, sweet daughter Khloe born August 2011
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
2nd lap surgery Dec 2012 stage 1 endo removed
IUI Apr 2013 cancelled due to producing 10 mature follicles
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN
IVF #4 Nov 2013 BFP! on 8dp3dt
Expecting boy/girl twins 8/1/14

September 24th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I am in AL, but I'm in Huntsville. I'd still love to hear your recommendation, though-- if he's amazing, it's worth a bit of a drive!

September 24th, 2010, 03:18 PM
LindseyandJoeinAL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oooh, that would be a long drive! :-) My RE is Dr. George Koulianos in Mobile. So far he has been wonderful. Good luck if you choose to pursue the RE route.
TTC baby #2

lap surgery Apr 2010 stage 2 endo removed
IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
Wonderful, sweet daughter Khloe born August 2011
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
2nd lap surgery Dec 2012 stage 1 endo removed
IUI Apr 2013 cancelled due to producing 10 mature follicles
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN
IVF #4 Nov 2013 BFP! on 8dp3dt
Expecting boy/girl twins 8/1/14

September 24th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Angel_Maker
I would think an RE would be the way to go at this point. They are in the business of MAKING babies, OBs are in the business of DELIVERING babies, so IMHO RE's are more adament about getting you to that

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search