Max number of follies allowed for an IUI ?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Super Mommy
So I was wondering what your REs/fertility doctors rule is on the number of follies allowed for an IUI ? Last IUI that I did I had 3 mature follies, got pregnant with twins but lost them both :-( . We don't have that much time left here to try , so I want to max my chances of it working and I am going to ask him to up my meds slightly , so that I can hopefully get 1 or two more eggs . For a total of 4-6 follies . I don't remember what he said the cut off is for him as to wether or not he will still do the IUI... How many is to many ?? Thanks !

Oh hey girls !1 I just got the best news :-) My hubby does not have to go on his deployment and we get to do the IUI now !!!! this month !!! I am on my 3rd day of provera.. I take two pills twice a day for 5 days . I was taking it to try and regulate my cycle because AF did not show thinking I was going to have to wait till november to take it again to do the IUI . Now I am so excited but also nervous ... Our first IUI worked last time,any tips to see if we can get it to work again this time? I am sure I am going to have a ton of questions over the next few days !!! thanks guys

Last edited by okiliz; September 29th, 2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: New news !!!!
September 29th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Super Mommy
hmm ok my edit did work.. oppsie.. sorry guys, still learning about posting and repoting and editing ...
September 29th, 2010, 03:01 AM
sweetdreamer1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
best of luck for ur coming iui cycle..!!!

My BFP Chart
pregnancy/baby blog pw. 0000

September 29th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That is awesome news about your hubby! How exciting that we could be celebrating your BFP even sooner now!

As for the number of follies, each RE will have different standards and it's going to depend heavily on each persons problems. My guess is that since you have a history of a multiple pregnancy, they aren't going to want to let you move forward with much more than they have in the past, meaning you'll probably be shooting for around 3 follies again. It worked last time, there is no reason to think it won't work this time around.

For me, I had done so many IUI's that my RE was willing to let me proceed in a cycle if I had a "higher number" of follies... knowing that if all stuck we would need to at least consider reduction. The cut off for me was 6... granted I never did an IUI with 6 follies, if I remember correctly the highest I had was 4 and it didn't work. The other cycles that I had more than was safe to proceed were canceled, but I had upwards of 12+ follies in there. Great numbers for an IVF, but WAY too risky for an IUI.

So long story short, I think it will likely depend on your RE and your history. Let us know what he says and good luck hun!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

September 29th, 2010, 05:59 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was allowed 5 mature follies but thats because I had 2 failed IUI's already and a failed IVF cycle.

Since you conceived twins I doubt they will let you go past 3.

September 29th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Super Mommy
Hey, thanks for your response !!! I am on day 3 of provera so I hope that AF will do her normal and show up within 3 days of taking the last pill . Question for ya though , when you did have to many follies, did they still give you a trigger and have you abstain? I would not want to sit a cycle out and would rather trigger and use a condom then wait for AF because I never o on my own with out a trigger and worry that one or more of the follies could turn into a cyst and waste more time and cause more pain ... Do you know if a Dr will do that ? Thanks, Liz
September 29th, 2010, 07:28 AM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had 6 once and my RE let us move forward....BUT I have a blocked right tube, so im sure that is why I am allowed more.

Good Luck with your IUI!
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

September 29th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiliz View Post
Our first IUI worked last time,any tips to see if we can get it to work again this time?

What meds did you all use & what monitoring did you have done? I'll be doing my 1st one soon, interested in other's experiences ...thanks! And GOOD LUCK TO YOU !!

September 29th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥Ashley♥ View Post
I had 6 once and my RE let us move forward....BUT I have a blocked right tube, so im sure that is why I am allowed more.

Good Luck with your IUI!
Probably because most the eggs on your right side, would never make it to your tubed for fertilization. It makes sense.
BTW I am still sad you left the May ddc. I miss you already

OP, I am SO happy you can do your IUI so quick and dh didn't have to deploy

September 29th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I still triggered with my canceled cycles. We just completely abstained.

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

September 29th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Super Mommy
Hey guys,
Last IUI I did cd 3 base line ultrasound and blood work, started FSH 150 IU per day CD 3,4 5 and 6,went in on day 6 for another ultrasound, no blood work, had 3 dominant follies was told to skip a day of FSH, then on CD 8 75 IU of FSH come in on CD 9 for trigger and ultrasound . CD 10 we did the IUI . I am a POAS freak and tested the trigger out from day one till day 8 , barely a line there on day 8 and 9 was negative,possibly an evap but the digis said not pregnant, day 10 it got darker again and was my BFP on both IC and digis and FRER.. but I still tested for like another week . I was told I could test in 2 and a half week but I could not wait that long .. They also said I could come back in 2.5 weeks post IUI to count how many sacs I had if I got a BFP at home .. I went back at 7.5 weeks, saw one baby, went to regular OB at 10.3 weeks and they said we had twins but lost one and then about a week later we lost the other .. I confirmed the loss with my RE and he said he plans to do the same treatment plan for this IUI . However he is out of town until the 12th of October.. I take my last provera pills tomorrow so AF should Ideally start sometime between the 4th and 5th.. So I would have to have my 1st apointment with a japanease DR.. he speaks english but I am kinda nervous that his plans will stray from my normal dr ... but then I normally don't go back in for 4-5 days ....So I should be able to see my normal doc for the monitoring ... I am crossing my fingers and praying !! Last time my DR also let me buy all of my meds at once instead of getting each shot a different day, which i common in this country I guess.. but then my normal doc is american.. So I just hope this doc will let me do the same, it is just easier to pay for it all at once... On the brite side, the DR at my military treatment center, is going to let me take the blood test for clotting and thyroid, which the OB was not goign to at the naval hospital .. So I kinda did the back door thing by going to a different doc but I just don't want to lose another baby.. They are also going to check my male hormone levels and my blood sugar !!! Whoot Whoot.. I know the OB dr aid he would not until I had at leat 1-2 more losses.. but hey.. I figure it is my medical care and I need to be strong to make sure things go better this time .. Any other advice for dealing with a new doc for 1 appointment?
September 30th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Regular
The one iui we did, the max my re would allow is 2 and if there were more she said we would have to scrap the cycle or aspirate the extra follies. She said that was because I am so young and as far as we know all of my test have come out normal so our chances of multiples was higher I guess.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search