IUI Question...

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For those of you who have had to move from IUI to IVF, is there a reason why it may not have worked or is it just unexplained? Can they ever give you a reason? I ask because on our own, due to my PCOS and DH's MFI we have less than 1% chance of conceiving on our own, so obviously our chances will increase dramatically, but I'm just wondering for those that it didn't work for if you know why?

I don't even know if I'm making sense, just getting somewhat nervous that IUI is actually here and like everyone else that's going through ttc, so scared it won't work...

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 30th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For DH and I it was MFI. He has low motility so the RE thought that they needed to do ICSI in order for us to conceive. They indicated that before we did IUI but we still wanted to try one IUI cycle. They were right, IUI did not work. With IVF, 15 eggs and millions of sperm not one egg got fertilized on it's own. They did ICSI and 13 fertilized.

I really thought that IUI would work when I did it and I really liked my IUI cycle. That sounds weird but I knew I had 3 or 4 follis, that my estrogen was up, that I Oed, that my progesterone was very high at day 7, that the sperm were in my uterus with the 3 or 4 eggs. I just felt much more in control and I knew exactly what was going on each day of my cycle.

I know it's scary but get excited. You are one step closer to getting pregnant! Good luck, I hope this is all you need. KUP

September 30th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think I have poor egg quality. My RE suggested it in the beginning but the only true way to know is to retrieve eggs and see what they look like.

I probably could do IUI's until I'm blue in the face and I really don't have any faith they would work. However, I do think that maybe IVF MIGHT work if we could pick and choose which embies to put back. But, there is a huge chance that I would have little to no embies to choose from, even with good response to the meds. We were at the point of deciding if we wanted to give IVF a shot, and we both agreed that with PCOS and my crappy eggs we'd put that on the back burner and go forward with adoption.

There are TONS of ladies that have successes with IUI... keep your chin up and keep the faith!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

September 30th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Veteran
Hello! Stay Positive. For me and DH it was both unexplained. We gave it a try for four IUI and decided to stop spending money on that and save towards IVF...we will be starting those meds in October.

My nurse actually did 8 cycles of IUI and got lucky on the 8th try. So definately keep the faith, it works for many people out there!
Started TTC in June 2008
First RE appt. March 2009

Oct. 2010 - 14 Eggs Retrieved and 6 Fertilized with ICSI
November 4th - ET put back two Blasts!
November 16th - BFP!!!!!
December - M/C Lost Heartbeat
December 31st - 2nd Misscarrige with Ectopic Egg (2nd egg was missed in tubes )
May 4th - Starting Stims for second IVF Round! STICKY VIBES!
May 17th - ET 13 Eggs Retrieved only Two Fertilized due to maturity. Put Back my TWO LUCKY CHARMS!
May 31st - Its official! 559 HCG Level! Im Pregnant!
June 2nd - 2nd HCG Test we are now at 1145!! Yay it more than doubled!
September 30th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Regular
We did one iui but our chances with dh's count and motility were less than 5% and on our own she said less that 1%( I look at it like the equivalant of the chances of getting pregnant on birth control!). My re pretty much said his numbers are not in the range for anymore iuis and she really pushed ivf with icsi, but we just can't afford it. So we are trying dh on lots of supplements and I tried soy this month, I am praying for a miracle. Good luck!!!
September 30th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We did 4 IUIs before moving to IVF. I had a lap after the first 3 IUIs to check for endo. I was diagnosed with stage 3 endo and my tubes were nonfunctional. My RE said she thought she fixed my tubes. So, we did one more IUI after the lap before moving to IVF.
September 30th, 2010, 10:12 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We did 6 IUIs before moving on to IVF. We did IUI because we flunked the post-coital test...DH's sperm were either dead or swimming in circles in my CM This was th eonly issue ever found with us, so we had a good chance of IUI working....we don't know what went wrong.

There are so many IUI success stories, and I hope you are the next one!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

September 30th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you ladies! Your encouragement means the world to me! I wish they had tested DH again before we did IUI, his last test was in April and since then he has quit smoking and has been taking Fertilaid. So, I'm hoping his numbers have improved, but I guess we'll find out in a few days right

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 30th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With us they actually had suggested IVF first given our ages, etc. But since there is a waiting list I was the one who opted for Clomid and IUI while we waited for IVF (I was hopeful that we wouldn't need to do it).

I think the reason that our IUI didn't work is because our embryos basically fell apart when fertilized. I think that we were lucky that we have the Progeny, he is the only of the 13 embryos who survived.

Stay positive Tammy! My friend from high school (who I was ranting about in another post) is pregnant with an "oops" and she has PCOS too. My fingers are crossed that this IUI is all that you need to get your BFP!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search