O/T: Im feeling like the worst aunt EVER

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2010, 04:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I babysit my cute little nephew who is 1 1/2 pretty much every other w/e or so. Well we were invited to a coworkers son's bday party & I told DH, well we are going to "borrow" my nephew, I just felt weird going to a one yr old bday party kid-less. So we got there, we were having a dandy time and all of the sudden BAM my nephew trips & face-plants directly onto a brick window-sill . I was about 2 arms-lengths away & knew immediately there was going to be a bloody mess. OMG it was awful, huge gash right above his sweet little eye & blood everywhere. I'm a nurse so that part didnt freak me out, I took him inside frantically asking for a towel, held pressure on it, we called my SIL & told her to meet us at the ER. After 3hrs they were able to stitch him up, he was a champ throughout it all, barely cried, he hated beings strapped down from head to toe on a board though I wanted to cry so badly several times I feel just awful. My SIL told me over & over dont feel bad, it was due to happen. Still though, I was just sick to my stomach. She sent me at text after we left the ER & they were back home saying "he's happy & playing outside now"......ugggg. I will never ever forget that experience & why me ?? Its just been one of those days!

October 2nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
demumbran0516's Avatar Veteran
Kids have accidents all the time. And they also have a very short memory. Dont let it get you down! You are a great aunt, and it would have happened anyway to you or someone else. Just think how lucky he was that you were so close and knew what to do. If it was me I would have freaked out and cried with him, while calling 911, and telling them he was dying.
October 2nd, 2010, 09:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I guarantee that it was worse for you than for him. He will probably never even remember it. Kids have accidents all the time - no matter how close you watch them. I apparently went face first into the coffee table when I was about 2. I have no memory of it, except for a small scar.
October 3rd, 2010, 12:46 AM
eccomi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
don't feel bad... these things happen. i do know how you feel, though. when my best friend's son was a toddler i was watching him at their house. he was walking but he still wasn't super steady on his feet. well, he tripped on the carpet and hit his eye on the bottom of the banister for the stairs. OUCH. luckily no stitches were required but he ended up getting the biggest, ugliest black eye ever. i felt HORRIBLE. but want to know the funny part (funny haha i can laugh about it now part)? this all happened a few days before halloween and the costume his mom had made for him was to be a BOXER! it all looked REALLY authentic with that black eye. poor baby.

cycles 1-16: TTC naturally, all BFNs
cycle 17 & 18: not TTC (due to diagnostic tests)
october 14: RE appt with follow-up hysteroscopy + saline sonogram... TUBES ARE CLEAR!
cycle 19, 20 & 21: natural TTC cycles = BFNs
cycle 22: another natural cycle, but preparing for our first IUI with injectables for cycle 23! FINALLY!!!
FEBRUARY 10th... our very first when we least expected it!!!

october 26th... our little miracle arrived via c-section at 12:19pm weighing 3.920 kilos! we are in love.
October 3rd, 2010, 01:42 AM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
Ditto to what these girls have said!! Even if he wasnt with you he probaby still would have done it! Its what toddlers do!! I understand why you feel the way you do..big huge hugs!!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
October 3rd, 2010, 06:44 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If it makes you feel any better, then my son was 14 months old, just after he learned how to walk, I went to a playground with him and went down a slide with him on my lap... which resulted in his leg getting caught and breaking. He was in a full leg cast for 3 weeks and unable to crawl or walk, and totally miserable about it! He is totally fine now (well, maybe a little fearful of big slides), but doesn't seem to hold a grudge
October 3rd, 2010, 07:54 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You poor thing!
Your heart probably hurt WAY worse then his littl noggin.
I'm sorry that happened to BOTH of you.
But, like everyone else said, it was bound to happen.
It's not like you shoved him into the wall, ya know? He's just a clumsy little walker now. I understand why you feel that way, though.
October 3rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
October 3rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Awe, hugs! These things happen... I know how it feels though when it happens on your watch. Not fun. Definitely don't beat yourself up... maybe he'll get a cool little scar from it to impress the chicks on the playground.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search