Do Fertility clinics/REs usually charge consult fees?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2010, 11:39 PM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am starting to study into IVF incase we need it and I definatly want to be choosy about who we use. I want to be able to personally ask a list of questions to each place before picking wich place feels most suitable. I read a few places that they charge fees for consults? Well if I want to consult with several places I dont want to be paying out hundreds of dollars just to pick a place. They obsiously have to meet with people to get clients. That would be messed up if they charge us for this visit.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

October 3rd, 2010, 01:51 AM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
your best bet would be to call and verify. Our RE (well both REs) never charged a consult to our knowledge. (our insurance covered diagnostics) We never got anything saying the insurance paid it either..but just call..thats probably gonna be the only way..and as far as finding a good RE..in my experience..you just know! Good luck and i hope you dont need ivf!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
October 3rd, 2010, 06:32 AM
Super Mommy
hello,
When I was in NC, I went to a fertility dr . The first consult was I think 90 but he also did an initial internal exam... odd way to meet I know.. he was one of the better docs in the area.. but then we moved overseas .. Here I go to an American dr in a japanease hospital.. So I know it is probably very different. but our first visit was 75, lasted about 35 mins and we got to ask all of the questions we wanted to about meds,IUI and IVF and fees and so on . After the consult visit I went back the next time AF showed.. each visit thereafter was only 50, ultrasounds are 50 ... he won't do IVF on me because he does not feel we need it but an IUI here runs 800 a cycle with meds,labs and visits( thats what we are about to start again ) . IVF runs 4,500 to 5,000 for a full cycle incliding everything, meds,labs,ultrasounds,ER,and ET .. So it is much cheaper here then there.. thats why I hope we get pregnant here because we can't afford fertility treatment in the states :-( ..
anyway got off track there for a moment !! I wish you the best of luck !!
October 3rd, 2010, 06:48 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
My RE has free consults and actually met with us for almost 2 hours! He went over EVERYTHING with us. Most do charge however probably around 150-300.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
October 3rd, 2010, 07:49 AM
Angel_Maker
Our IVF consult was free, but our initial consult with the RE (before we knew we'd be doing IVF) was over $300.
October 3rd, 2010, 07:51 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Jessie...I would call & ask.
Also, I would research there clinic & if it sounds like a great doctor with satisfied patiensts, then maybe it would be worth the consultation fee, kwim?
Good luck finding the right one but I hope you don't have to do IVF!
October 3rd, 2010, 08:45 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our RE consult was 150 and another one in the area was 300.

Most RE's charge for the consult because they go over EVERYTHING with you..all your past medical procedures, records, any treatment you've done prior, most do an internal exam at the first meeting and go over your options if you happen to know prior what your diagnosis is...otherwise they will explain all the infertility testing.

Expecting Vivienne Monroe!
14dpo 311!
18dpo 2440!

October 3rd, 2010, 09:20 AM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
to Christin- it was around $150 for our initial consult, but insurance covered it because it was considered and "office visit".

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

October 3rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My dr charges 150 but it's covered by provincial health care.
October 3rd, 2010, 11:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Our RE did charge a consult fee for our first visit...don't remember what it was because it is one of the few things that our insurance actually covered.

You can research clinics and check out their success rates for different types of IVF here: SART - Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

October 3rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure how much the ones I talked to charged since our insurance did cover figuring out WHY I couldn't get pregnant but I know they charged at least an office visit charge. I did have one phone consult with a clinic out of state and they did not charge me.
October 3rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our initial consult fee for our RE was $350 OOP. Had we gone with IVF we wouldn't have had to pay another IVF consult fee.

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

October 7th, 2010, 12:07 AM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all your replys. I have been researching IVF in case our vasectomy reversal fails than we will need it. I know its a little pre-mature but I like to have plan B figured out and be knowlegable about it so I feel less panicing if plan A fails. I hope we wont need IVF but if we do there are some very specific preferances I have so if they dont do it this way than I dont even want to consult with then. Hopefully those Q's could just be asked on the phone.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

October 7th, 2010, 05:27 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Nicole ~ View Post
Thanks for all your replys. I have been researching IVF in case our vasectomy reversal fails than we will need it. I know its a little pre-mature but I like to have plan B figured out and be knowlegable about it so I feel less panicing if plan A fails. I hope we wont need IVF but if we do there are some very specific preferances I have so if they dont do it this way than I dont even want to consult with then. Hopefully those Q's could just be asked on the phone.
You might be able to talk to a nurse regarding the basics of their IVF cycles..but anything specific about your IVF plan they wont tell you until you've talked to the dr and usually that wont happen until you fork out the dough....its crappy but infertility is a huge money making business...and its pretty rare to find out anything about an RE w/out paying for it.

If you have any questions maybe we could answer them for you...tell you how likely your preferences are at happening. I've done IVF 3x and there are other ladies on the board who have done IVF as well.

Expecting Vivienne Monroe!
14dpo 311!
18dpo 2440!

October 7th, 2010, 08:31 AM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
My DR charged $250 for the initial visit but he is also a gyn so our insurance paid for it

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

October 7th, 2010, 08:34 AM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ive been to two different RE's and neither charged a consult fee
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

October 7th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
The couple places I called had them, but not the one I went with.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search