Sister of the Week ~Amy~ Oct. 4-8th

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our Sister of the Week this week is Amy (eccomi)!!!

If you want to request specific pics from Amy (for Friday) please remember to have your requests in before Wednesday 9 PM. And please save all of your questions for Amy for Thursday. I appreciate all of the love and support we give each other on the board, let's keep it going strong!

Monday: Post an introduction about you, your family, your TTC story, etc... (it can be as long or as short as you would like).

Tuesday: Post 20 facts about yourself. (It's harder than you think! )

Wednesday: Share pictures of yourself, your family, etc. Try to save requested pics for Friday. Get creative ladies! (Also, remember to keep these appropriate for the board.)

Thursday: Answer any questions the ladies might have for you. Please save all questions for this day ladies!

Friday: Pick at least 10 pics that other members request from you. These will probably be things you might not think to post yourself. All pic requests must be submitted by Wednesday 9 PM of your week, that way you have Wed - Fri to get them taken, uploaded and posted. Even if you get more than 10 requests....you can pick the 10 you would like to share, or share more than 10. It's up to you!

Most importantly.... HAVE FUN!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

October 4th, 2010, 06:39 AM
eccomi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ECCOMI! (that means "here i am!" in italian)

i never know how to start these sorts of things. hmmmmm...

my name is amy, i'm 31 years old. DH is francesco and he's 28. we live along the coast in NW italy. we've been TTC our first since july of 09.

our TTC history>>>

our first cycle or two we took a relatively relaxed approach to TTC. my friend (who gets pregnant like clockwork) told me to look online at a fertility calendar and based on the number of days in my average cycle to BD around the date indicated as my probable O date. well, we tried that (for a cycle, i think) and it didn't work for us so in august i decided to get proactive and started looking for information online.

i found and joined JM in august of 09 and a wealth of knowledge about TTC that i never knew existed opened up to me! seriously, how did women find all of this stuff out before the age of the internet? i REALLY can't see speaking with my mom about TTC stuff. anyway, it was through JM that i learned about OPKs, temping, charting, etc. according to my charts and OPKs i O regularly but despite this it was cycle after cycle of BFNs.

after 6 months of well-timed BDing i made an appointment with my OB/GYN. at first she didn't take me too seriously. there were the standard, "you know, these things can take some time," and "don't worry." then i pulled out the big guns... my charts. she carefully looked them over with me and in the end she said "you're right, you should have been pregnant by now." she ordered a SA for DH (which came back relatively within the norm) and referred us to a fertility clinic.

the clinic my OB/GYN referred us to in FEBRUARY didn't have an appointment available until OCTOBER (21st to be exact)! i started doing my own research and found a clinic further from us (it's in florence) with glowing reviews from past patients so i called them up and was able to get in for the first appointment in may! i was thrilled.

our first RE appt was just an informative meeting and an internal U/S was performed (all looked normal). we were given a HUGE list of exams to be done (b/w, another SA for DH, etc. etc.) and then our 2nd appointment was made for a diagnostic hysteroscopy. unfortunately the hysteroscopy failed (talk about PAIN!) due to cervical stenosis. as a result, we had to make another appointment for an operative hysteroscopy (with anesthesia this time... phew!). thank goodness that went much, much better than the first attempt! they had to lyse tissue from my cervix to get the endoscope to pass into my uterus but once they got there my uterus looked normal! woohoo! the day of the operative hysteroscopy i felt a little off and had lots of bleeding but already the next day i was much better and went to work. i thought that was that until just recently when i had THE wonkiest AF ever! i guess your first AF after your operative hysteroscopy can be off.

next on the agenda is yet another hysteroscopy, diagnostic this time so no anesthesia. i have to admit that i'm pretty worried about it just because i know how badly the first one hurt. i hope that all will go well and that they will be able to check my tubes, too, so that we can move on to the next step in trying to diagnose why we aren't getting pregnant.

ok, phew. that's our TTC history, but here's a bit about my background...

i grew up in the mountains of central california (just 10 miles from yosemite). i have an older brother (he's just a year and half older than me). our father was diagnosed with cancer right around the time i was born and he passed away when i was about a year old. my mom at age 22 was a widow with two kids in diapers. my mom is a very proud & headstrong person and the last thing she wanted to do was to move back home with her parents. in the end (i think partly out of necessity) she ended up remarrying. stepdad #1 was a widower (he lost his wife to cancer, too) and had four children of his own though they were much older than us (the youngest was in high school and the others had already moved out on their own). we lived on a huge ranch with thousands of acres and i have the fondest of memories of my brother and i playing and exploring outdoors. we had all sorts of animals... horses, cows, pigs, sheep, chickens, a turkey, cats, dogs, etc. etc. and our daily chores involved taking care of some of these animals. only in hindsight do i realize just how lucky we were. my mom was a SAHM with us until i started kindergarten, and then she started working part-time at the school.

flash forward>>>

when i was in fifth grade my parents were in the process of building a new custom home on part of the property. it was a very exciting time for all of us... i was able to pick out the carpet in my room and some other details as well (for a 10 year old this is VERY exciting stuff). we moved into the new house and for a few months all seemed well but soon the fairy tale ended.

i started noticing that my mom was acting strange and doing things that i had never seen her do before. she would talk to a plant, she was humming and singing a lot and she just seemed a little dreamy. now, i know some people do this and for them it's totally normal but for my mom it wasn't. these were the first red flags that something was amiss, though at age 10 i had no idea what it could have been. then one afternoon she didn't come home from work and when she finally did get home late that night it was a disaster. she was crying and screaming and the truth came out. she had been having an affair with someone from work. she wanted to leave stepdad #1. my brother and i were literally dumbfounded. oh, and the plant she would talk do? i found out later that it was a gift to her from (future) stepdad #2.

that night my mom left and wanted us to come with her. my brother told my mom he wasn't going. i felt bad for her going by herself so i went with her. a whole summer passed with me being with my mom (and with stepdad #2) while my brother stayed on with stepdad #1. as much as my brother and i had always fought like cats and dogs that summer we really missed each other. at the end of the summer stepdad #1 told my mom that if my brother was going to stay with him then he wanted to adopt him and for her to give up parental rights. in a flash my brother was with us again (my mom said she wouldn't even think of letting that happen and forced my brother to come stay with us). my brother and stepdad #2 didn't get along so well and to be honest i think they've always held a bit of a grudge against one another.

stepdad #2 had his own share of problems. he, too, was married at the time of the affair so it was as if we were living two divorces rather than just one (my mom's divorce was relatively amicable in comparison with stepdad #2's divorce which was very, very bitter). as soon as the divorces were finalized my mom and stepdad #2 were married.

flash forward>>>

when we were in high school stepdad #2 started drinking quite heavily. sometimes he'd drink and be funny and jolly and sometimes he'd drink and get quite mean. my mom would justify his behavior and tell us "he only drinks on the weekends." in high school i was oftentimes afraid to have friends over because i felt embarassed and afraid of how stepdad #2 might act in front of them.

my mom became very depressed and at one point even suicidal. obviously this was a very tumultuous time for our family. my mom voluntarily entered a clinic and stayed there for a few weeks. luckily, she rebounded.

my brother and i were growing up and getting ready to move on with our lives. my brother graduated from high school and moved out at 18 and joined the military. the following year i graduated and left home as well to go to college. things seemed to get better for all of us and i ended up feeling much closer to my mom even though i was farther away.

at the end of my first year at college my mom was diagnosed with MS. i was terrified. she was told that she had relapsing/remitting MS, which has the most optimistic outlook of the different types of MS (you have an episode but then you seem to "bounce back" afterwards whereas with progressive MS you get progressively worse).

flash forward>>>

in 2002 i graduated from college with honors. my graduation gift from my parents (upon my request) was a 3-month trip to italy. don't ask me why italy, i don't know. i've always been fascinated with it. when i was five or six stepdad #1 was friends with a couple and the wife was from italy. on occasion we would eat together and let me just say that i LOVED my spaghetti! she would call me the "leeeetle eeeetalian" (her accent was still very strong) and i just reveled in the attention. i think that might be where the seed was planted.

as i planned to travel by myself for those three months in italy i brought the smallest of bags (i still have that bag, i hope to show it to my grandchildren one day so they can gasp in amazement, heeheehee!). would you believe that i pack more for a weekend now than i did for 3 months in italy?

those 3 months in italy were A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. i travelled all of italy from the far north (to the border with switzerland) to the far south (the southernmost tip of sicily), enveloping myself in the culture every chance i got. i stayed with a sicilian family for a week and learned more italian in those seven days than i had in two months in italy (they spoke no english whatsoever so it was sink or swim)! the culture, the people, the sights and the food all flabbergasted me. i was in love. with italy that is.

i returned to california after those three months abroad and the plan was for me to go on for my masters degree. after a month of being home i started feeling homesick for italy! i formulated this harebrained idea to move to italy. everyone (my family included) thought i was crazy. for me, this was the only time in my life where i thought i could really do something like this. i had no children, no husband or SO, no debts. had i waited until after my masters program i'm certain that i would have had some student loans to pay off and i wouldn't have been able to just up and move to a foreign country.

i took up two jobs waiting tables to make some fast money. i set a date for my return. i told myself (and my family) that if i went back to italy and ended up spending all of the money i had saved in those six months of waiting tables that that would be a clear sign that i needed to return home. well, i never ran out of that money. i found a job and a little one bedroom place to live in and just four months after moving to italy i met DH.

in march of 09, after nearly six years together, we were married at the castle in our village. gosh, i love him.

epilogue>>>

my mom's MS has been reclassified from relapsing/remitting to progressive. she's now using a cane and a brace and has limited mobility in one of her hands and legs. but she's a fighter and so stubborn and i'm so proud of her.

stepdad #2 got his drinking under control. he will still have a drink or two on occasion but that's it. my mom (obviously) seems happier, too.

my brother is now a helicopter pilot in the US army. he has lived all over the world and just recently returned from a 1 year mission in afghanistan. he currently lives with his wife and 2 year old daughter (an IVF miracle) in germany and baby #2 (another IVF miracle!) is due in late november. to be honest, my brother and i don't get along very well (he has a VERY strong personality and we don't seem to see eye-to-eye on any particular topic) but i really like my SIL and of course i adore my niece (though i've only seen her once in person). strangely enough, stepdad #2 and my brother get along really well now.

the end. for now.

cycles 1-16: TTC naturally, all BFNs
cycle 17 & 18: not TTC (due to diagnostic tests)
october 14: RE appt with follow-up hysteroscopy + saline sonogram... TUBES ARE CLEAR!
cycle 19, 20 & 21: natural TTC cycles = BFNs
cycle 22: another natural cycle, but preparing for our first IUI with injectables for cycle 23! FINALLY!!!
FEBRUARY 10th... our very first when we least expected it!!!

october 26th... our little miracle arrived via c-section at 12:19pm weighing 3.920 kilos! we are in love.

Last edited by eccomi; October 4th, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
October 4th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Jenn in DC's Avatar Super Mommy
Amy - thank you for sharing your story! I loved reading it and learning more about you. I think it's so great that you followed your heart and moved back to Italy. You sound like a very adventurous and confident person. I look forward to learning more about you and seeing your pictures this week!
Started TTC #1 July 2009
Summer 2010 - Three IUIs with Clomid & Gonal F - All BFNs
Winter 2011 - IVF Clinical Trial. Cycle Cancelled.
March 2011 - Minimal Stimulation IVF #1 - 2 eggs retrieved, fertilized and frozen on Day 3.
April 2011 - Mini-IVF #2 - 2 eggs retrieved, fertilized and frozen as expanded blasts on Day 5.
May 2011 - Mini-IVF #3 - 4 eggs retrieved (two mature and 2 immature), one egg made it to blast and was frozen. Five snowbabies in all!! Hysteroscopy.
July 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP and then miscarriage

November 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!! Aven Robert Born on August 4, 2012

July 2014 - Got Pregnant Naturally with Twins! Miscarriage at 9 weeks.
November 2014 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!
Beta #1 12 DPO = 45
Beta #2 14 DPO = 118
Beta #3 21 DPO = 3,451
October 4th, 2010, 08:16 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All I can say is Wow. You are such an amazing, strong woman!
Your life is something out of a book...Seriously, the "Italy" part reminded me of "Eat Pray Love". I'm SO envious of you that you live/travel in Italy. That culture is so magical to me! You are so brave to make such a drastic change in you life! You have determination like no other! You should be so proud of yourself!
October 4th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Dóchas's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Dóchas
I love your story and getting to know you. It was like reading a book. You really are an amazing lady.
Myself & DH are planning a trip to Italy next year. And reading your story is making me want to go even more. We were supposed to get married in Italy but we changed it to Malta as it was easier for friends to fly to from where we are from in Ireland.
I'm glad your mom is doing ok MS is very hard to deal with & you have every right to be proud of her...
I'll be sending you some post very soon honey and will be in touch for your address.
I'm looking forward to knowing more about you.

[SIZE="3"]

October 4th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh Amy! What an amazing story - thank you so much for sharing part of your life with us. I truly admire your independence and strength! You go girl! You'll take the next procedure like a trooper, and then have a baby in your arms soon - I just know it!

October 4th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Amy that was an awesome intro! I feel like I totally know you now.... can't wait for more stuff later this week!

October 4th, 2010, 01:54 PM
thanks for your feedback ladies.

girls i have my long day at work tomorrow (opening to closing) so i thought i'd put my 20 facts up already today:

1. my favorite flavor of gum is spearmint.

2. i love, love, LOVE animals. if it were up to be our house would be a zoo.

3. my favorite food is thai food. YUM!

4. i'm a vegetarian (i started to cut meat out of my diet when i was 12).

5. i love to bake.

6. every day i check out the website AllRecipes.com - the top web site for recipes, food and cooking tips i love seeing the recipes of the day... i'm addicted!

7. we have two french bulldogs that we love with all of our hearts.

8. i love mustard but hate mayonaisse (unless it's mixed in something and you can't really taste it, like a potato salad).

9. i don't really like eggs either, unless they're mixed with something else (so they don't taste like eggs).

10. i'm an all-or-none perfectionist. there's no in between for me (example: the house is either spotless or a total mess ).

11. i was a cheerleader all throughout high school (and captain my junior and senior year).

12. academics became a priority for me only when i got to college (in high school it was more about my social life ).

13. there are a lot of things about italy that i love. there are some things that drive me crazy though.

14. i have a MonsterIL. i can't stand her. i wish that wasn't the case but it is. anything you've ever heard about italian mothers is true.

15. i adore my FIL. he's like the dad i always wanted but never quite had.

16. i'm better at spending money rather than saving it. i wish that wasn't the case.

17. i would do anything to have a house with a yard. too bad they are few and far between here.

18. i dream of being a SAHM, though i probably won't get to be one.

19. when it comes to friends i prefer quality over quantity.

20. i'm a planner and organizer. i love to plan and organize parties/dinners/events. my friends tell me that i'm very detail oriented.

tah-dah!

october 14: RE appt with follow-up hysteroscopy + saline sonogram... TUBES ARE CLEAR!
cycle 22: another natural cycle, but preparing for our first IUI with injectables for cycle 23! FINALLY!!!

october 26th... our little miracle arrived via c-section at 12:19pm weighing 3.920 kilos! we are in love.

Last edited by eccomi; October 4th, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
October 4th, 2010, 02:13 PM
LindseyandJoeinAL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wonderful! You're such and interesting and intriguing person Amy! I knew a few things about you, but didn't realize you had so many challenges growing up. You've proven yourself a survivor and this TTC stuff will be no different for you.

I LOVE animals too and would have a 100 kitties if Joe would let me. He loves them, but can't stand the fur all around. He also hates when they piddle around in the middle of the night and wakes us up. I always laugh at him as he growls at them.

I'll be thinking of questions and pic requests for the rest of the week.
TTC baby #2

lap surgery Apr 2010 stage 2 endo removed
IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
Wonderful, sweet daughter Khloe born August 2011
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
2nd lap surgery Dec 2012 stage 1 endo removed
IUI Apr 2013 cancelled due to producing 10 mature follicles
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN
IVF #4 Nov 2013 BFP! on 8dp3dt
Expecting boy/girl twins 8/1/14

October 4th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Super Mommy
Wow, Amy....thanks for sharing all of that about yourself. I didn't realize that you were born in the US and moved to Italy later! That takes a lot of guts to move to another country like you did - I don't think I could do it!
October 4th, 2010, 05:17 PM
hollann1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Amy i just loved hearing all about you! Thank you so much for sharing

** Thank you Oona for the awesome siggy**
October 4th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
Great intro!! Im so sorry about your mom im so glad you are getting to live your dream of being in italy! That is awesome!! I too love to bake and use allrecipes!! So nice to get to know you thanks for sharing!!
October 5th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I just love you!
I also love going to AllRecipes.com!
French Bulldogs are so stinkin cute! I want one!
That amazes me that Italian food isn't your favorite. haha!
I hope that one day you are able to be a SAHM seeing how badly you want it!
October 5th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyto4AngelBabies View Post
That amazes me that Italian food isn't your favorite. haha!
haha... well it was a toss up until i moved to italy and started eating italian food every.single.day. about a month into eating pasta every single day i had an italian food burn out. strangely enough you DO get used to eating it all the time though.

October 5th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Pics... Pics... I wanna see some pics!

Oh wait... that's tomorrow... guess I'll have to wait!

October 5th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
Yes..i cant wait to see your pics!!! Woo hoo!!
October 6th, 2010, 03:39 AM
ok, here come the pics!

childhood photos (i'm the blonde, my brother is the redhead)

francesco with penelope (our first-born) i've always loved this picture

penelope

love. photos with gustavo at our village's beach (he was just a three or four months old here)

gustavo in front of the leaning tower of pisa, isn't he adorable?

these are two of my favorite "family" photos... penelope's wrinkly chin cracks me up

the front of our wedding invites
my favorite color is red and i love it paired with black & white. DH's favorite soccer team il milan AC and their colors are black & red so lucky me! no qualms about our color choices for the wedding heeheehee!

march 21st, 2010

our cake. notice the cake toppers?

just a few photos from our honeymoon in namibia...

Last edited by eccomi; October 6th, 2010 at 03:47 AM.
October 6th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Your pics are amazing! You totally look like a movie-star couple on your wedding day... it's so GORGEOUS!!!!

October 6th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Wow!
You looked so GORGEOUS at your wedding!
I literally laughed out loud when I saw your cake toppers!Haha
The background of every single picture is glorious!!
Your dogs are too stinkin cute & look VER spoiled!!
Thanks for sharing! I truly enjoyed them!!
October 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Super Mommy
Very fun photos. You look like a movie star! I loved your wedding cake AND the toppers! And your pupdogs are the CUTEST!!!

3 failed fresh IVFs, 1 failed FET
Surprise BFP in 12/10 after acupuncture & herbs!!
1 beautiful, perfect daughterl!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search