How much will IUI increase the chance of getting a BFP

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2010, 09:49 PM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If your working with a low sperm count of about 40-60million total per ejaculate? I read information that the vagina and cervix are very hostile to sperm and that most dont even get into the uterus wich is concerning when dealing with a low sperm count. So if we bypass those two obstacles how much does that increase the chance of conceiving. I know no one can give me an exact % or anything but I mean does it increase the chances a lot or just a little.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

October 10th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
Well i think it probably would..but im not a dr so i cant say for sure..however im not familiar with how the count works with iui..but i wish you the very best!! good luck!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
October 10th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With my DH's 1st SA, he looked at the morph count & also viability....said although they arent **that** abnormal he recommended us going to IUI. That was over a year ago, I wanted to give it more time so now, we are trying it finally this month after 2 1/2 yrs of TTC. He stated in general IUI works about 8-10% of the time. Not great, but I'll give it a whirl !

October 10th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Unfortunately, sperm is washed prior to IUI, so the count can be even lower after the fact. But you are right, by bypassing everything and injecting the sperm directly into the cervix the boys have less work to do on their part. They still need to make it to the egg and still have to penetrate the egg.

Each month there is a 15-25% chance that a "normal" fertile couple will conceive. Now, the stats for couples using fertility drugs and IUI around between 5-25% (depending on your circumstances and drugs that you use). So, the way that I see it.... using IUI and fertility drugs will help bring your chances of getting pregnant up to where the rest of the fertile world is at on a monthly basis. It basically evens the playing field. Does that make sense?

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

October 10th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard that too Kari... for us, dealing with PCOS and male factor, our chances on our own are less than 1% each month. But, using Clomid, giving me a strong O and putting the sperm right where they need to be, makes us a "normal, healthy couple" for that month. So, depending what doc or site you talk to and age, your chance could be anywhere... so like Kari said, up to 25%.

I like to do different searches on FF to see, like what the pg rate is for Clomid and IUI, then add male factor, then I'll play with different search parameters. For the most part, the pg rate is around 20-25%, though there are times when it's up to 40% pg rate!!! That makes me feel good and I think hope can do amazing things

Make a pregnancy ticker
October 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did IUI with male infertility. My doctor told me the same thing Kari said, basically since we had been ttc for a year without success IUI would bring out chances back to what it is for a fertile couple. Best of luck

October 10th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
Its not something we have dealt with so I am not sure, but I hope you get some helpful answers. But I do know that IVF with ICSI certainly increases your chances to about 50%

October 11th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Super Mommy
My chances of getting pg with IUI (dh had a sperm morphology issue) was 4% and 60% with IVF w/ISCI. Hope that helps!

October 11th, 2010, 07:14 AM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually just talked to an RE about this yesterday...

IUI+Clomid - 8-10%

IUI+Injectibles - 10-20%

That is what he told me, now im sure everyone is going to have different statistics these are his though!
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

October 11th, 2010, 09:32 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck!!!!!!!!
October 14th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Thanks for all your feedback. If we havent conceived by one year after DH's vasectomy reversal Im just not sure if I should try IUI because it costs less or go right to IVF with ICSI wich has the highest chance of working. Im just afraid of wasting a bunch of time and money on IUI just to not have it work and than we have less money to use towards the IVF. Its a hard decision with no clear answer. We could get lucky with IUI and save A TON of money or we could do it and regret the money spent when it doesnt work. I guess there are no easy answers.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

October 14th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You are right, there are easy answers. When you get to that point, I think you'll know what you want to do. Maybe you'll need to give IUI just one shot to see if it works. Good luck with things!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

October 14th, 2010, 05:34 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Nicole ~ View Post
Thanks for all your feedback. If we havent conceived by one year after DH's vasectomy reversal Im just not sure if I should try IUI because it costs less or go right to IVF with ICSI wich has the highest chance of working. Im just afraid of wasting a bunch of time and money on IUI just to not have it work and than we have less money to use towards the IVF. Its a hard decision with no clear answer. We could get lucky with IUI and save A TON of money or we could do it and regret the money spent when it doesnt work. I guess there are no easy answers.

I'd talk to your RE and his urologist about this. We've gotten different answers about it because status post-VR is different than normal low sperm count usually, because they also worry about scarring over and such, but the odds are usually about the same from what I have seen so far. It really just depends on how things went with the VR and such as to what their ultimate advice seems to be.

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

October 14th, 2010, 06:45 AM
LindseyandJoeinAL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm doing IVF now and was in a class this week with a couple who was doing IVF with ICSI in lieu of a vasectomy reversal. The husband was having sperm taken directly from his "area" for the fertilization. That could be an option if you haven't already done the reversal. There are so many stories out there, and I typically hate to share anything negative, but I would like to know if it was me.

One of my best girlfriends has been trying to get pregnant for almost two years. Granted she is 39 (I think you're much younger) and her DH is early 40's. They opted to do the reversal and then IUI and IVF. I think they did 4 IUIs and 1 IVF and it didn't work. She now says she wishes she had saved the 10K they spent on the reversal and used it for another IVF with the sperm aspiration.

Either way, good luck to you! As you stated, there are definitely no easy answers in TTC. ((((HUGS))))
TTC baby #2

lap surgery Apr 2010 stage 2 endo removed
IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
Wonderful, sweet daughter Khloe born August 2011
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
2nd lap surgery Dec 2012 stage 1 endo removed
IUI Apr 2013 cancelled due to producing 10 mature follicles
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN
IVF #4 Nov 2013 BFP! on 8dp3dt
Expecting boy/girl twins 8/1/14

October 14th, 2010, 08:13 AM
The Wife's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to The Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Nicole ~ View Post
Nicole -- I've gone through 4 rounds of IUI -- I have PCOS. I was told that the success rate is 20% with women with PCOS making up a large part of that 20%. I got 4 BFNs.

My hubby has a sperm count avging 200mill-300mill each time with the wash containing 150mill-200mill. However, I was told that he only has a 1% morphology rate so out of all those spermies, only 15-20mill are good. While that is a good number, they still have to fight through about 145-180 mill bad sperm!

What are the chances then??

I sorta WISH I had gone straight to IVF and ICSI which is what we are doing now.

First off, they can tell if you have poor egg quality, which is something they can't tell from IUI...
And 2nd, there is a 70% success rate when transferring 2 embryos... I can't believe the odds, and am HOPING that i don't have poor egg quality and it works for us.

I would say that the 4 IUI's without insurance, probably cost more than the 1 round of IVF, but the chances are so much greater.

You really have to factor in everything. The SA and any symptoms you have...

They also told me that people with less than 4% morphology usually go straight to IVF ICSI, but since I had PCOS I had a great success rate with IUI ... which wasn't the case...

POOP --

This all encompassed the past 8 months of my life for the 4 IUI's. It's a lot of time waiting.

Just all my opinion of course!!

Stop by, we'd love to have you!
--> www.BECAUSEOFMATCH.com

October 16th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Thanks thats really helpful. I am still quite young and always ovulate so I am confident my IVF would have high chance of success also. I think I will probably skip IUI just because of the fact of low sperm and usually low morph and motility after a vasectomy reversal. Id rather just go straight for what I know works. Just the cost makes me sick because it will be coming out of our downpayment savings and probably delay us from getting a house for a couple more years. But I guess you can always get a house later. You cant go back and have kids once you run out of your egg supply.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search