So angry

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Super Mommy
Today Dh and I had our appt with an RE. To make a long story short he basically said we should bypass IUI and go right to IVF.

He said we have about a 3% chance of conceiving on our own, and we are at high risk for having an ectopic

He doesn't have much faith in Dh's surgery helping his count.

He was concerned that the endo that was on my ovaries, will come back and damage my ovaries more jeopardizing my future eggs.

He said we can try IUI after my get dh's SA results (cant do the sample till late Jan early Feb bc of his surgery. But he feels like we will be wasting money.

He recommends I go on high dose of birth control to "shut down" everything until we save money for IVF.

Right now i'm not too sure what to think. He totally knocked the wind right out of my sail.

I'm so angry. If the odds are stacked to greatly against us. Why did my pregnancy have to end in miscarriage?

What do you ladies think?

Thank you Katie-shortcake for the siggy!

December 16th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Im so sorry for what you've gone thru so far....all I can say, is that you need to stand up & do what you feel is right. My RE has pretty much been one that insisted we do IUI (before really even just trying meds alone) and I've stuck to my guns and drug my feet. Now after 2+yrs I'm giving in and we are going to try the IUI. He almost seemed hesitent then about trying that & I cant tell you how many times he & the nurse have both said "Are you sure you dont want to try IVF" ?? That is an absolute no, we made that decision awhile back & will stick to that. Just wanted to say good luck with whatever decision you opt for ..... HUGS!

December 16th, 2010, 06:16 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You have to do what you think is right for you. If you do not like his opinion is it possible to get a second opinion from another doctor?

December 16th, 2010, 06:23 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Karen, just stalking you over here

I'm sorry the RE didn't have good news for you. Are you opposed to IVF or unable to do it because of the cost or did he just shock you with that opinion? There are some benefits to jumping straight to IVF- it does have a higher success rate and I have read that cycling on meds for multiple cycles can make endo progress faster.

It's so true, though, that it's your decision, and you are the one paying the RE to do what you want to do. I hope DH's count comes back much higher and that calms the RE down a little. But most of all I hope you find peace with whatever decision you make and get your beautiful BFP
December 16th, 2010, 07:31 AM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Send a message via AIM to LindseyMarie
i was told the same thing last month... I was in shock as I was hoping for an IUI. Turns out my Dr doesn't like to do IUI's at all...

You have to step back and see if you are comfortable with this being the next step. If not, time for a second opinion for sure.

*hugs!*

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

December 16th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry you're going through all this. ((((HUGS))))

We were ttc for 3 years. In that time I also had a m/c that I didn't understand. But, we did get pregnant on our own, so we held onto hope that it would happen again. We started fertility treatments with an RE about 9 months after the m/c. We went through 3 IUI cycles with no luck and then had a Lap where it was discovered that I have stage 3 endo. All endo was removed, but I had lots of damage already done to my tubes. My RE said to TTC on our own for a few months and see it that worked.

We still didn't get pregnant. So, after about 4 cycles, we went back to the RE and she suggested we moved to IVF, so we could bypass the endo problems (giving us a 40% chance of conceiving). We felt exactly how you feel....it completely knocked the wind out of our sail. I think I was more prepared to hear that then my DH was. He wanted to give IUI a few more tries before moving to IVF (if we even moved to IVF). So, knowing that he wasn't ready to move to IVF, we tried IUI again and it didn't work. In the back of our minds this whole time all we could think of was, "But we had gotten pregnant on our own! Why won't it happen again?".

After the last IUI, DH realized that it would be a waste of another $1000 to try IUI again, so we decided that IVF was the next step. But, we didn't move onto it immediately. We took time for ourselves to pray, research and save money. We didn't move onto our IVF cycle until almost 5 months later. In that time, we did TONS of research so we would know exactly what we were getting into. So, when our IVF cycle started we were as prepared as we could possibly be. We had a positive outlook going into our cycle, but also tried to stay realistic that there was a good chance it wouldn't work too.

IVF is a personal decision between you and your DH. Both of you need to be comfortable with whatever you choose. Feel free to PM me with any questions about my experience if you want. Good luck to you, hon!
December 16th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry Karen. Being faced with news like that is NEVER easy. I wish that I could give you the answers you are searching for but it's something that only you and your DH will be able to decide on. I'll be here cheering you on, whatever you guys move forward with.

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 16th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Super Mommy
I am sorry you are going through this. I do understand how you feel - we were fortunate to conceive naturally with our son - but then need MA if we wanted more kids. No exlanation for it what so ever - we were shocked. Our doctor told us that we should completely bypass the IUI as well - only 4% chance of success. Our RE recommended going straight to IVF w/ISCI and used used birth control shut everthing down as well. It's alot to take in and understand. I know you may not what to hear it right now - our first cycle didn't work. I was devestated - what was wrong with me? We went for our 2nd cycle and I wasn't responding to the meds. I pushed to finish the cycle and was a mess - to make a long story short-by some miracle it worked and we are expected twin girls in April. As I said I know it's alot to take but we are all here for. Feel free to pm is you would like and I wish you good luck.

December 16th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I'm sorry you are going through this but I understand how you feel. DH has a vericole, and was told it would be a waste to even repair it because the urologist felt it would not significantly improve DH's sperm count to get me pregnant. For DH to go through the pain of surgery for nothing was not worth it, so we opted against it. The urologist immediately suggested that we see an RE and go straight to IVF w/ ICSI. The RE agreed that IVF was our only hope and with DH's numbers we only have a 0.1% chance of getting pregnant ourselves. In the almost 5 years together we never used protection and never got pregnant. We did 1 cycle of IVF -- we have our handsome son and 6 more on ice.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
December 16th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post. We're not against IVF just kind of shocked that we would be skipping all the other steps. We could afford one try. My biggest concern with IVF is the risk of multiples. My dh is in grad school and I am the main bread winner for the time being. If we had twins or more I would be out of a job bc I am a nanny. Our plan (so much for plans) was to have one baby just now which I wuould bring to work. We would then start ttc #2 after dh graduates. Then I would be a sham. I would never reduce so if we did do IVF and got prego with multiples dh would have to drop out of school.

I have an apt with my ob dec 30th to discuss my re apt.

Please excuse all my typos I'm on my phone.

December 17th, 2010, 05:44 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Karen, I'm sorry It is a shock to start thinking about changing your plans for MA. I hope your appt on the 30th goes well!
December 17th, 2010, 06:10 AM
JulieC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry. I wish I had some advice for you but I just started TTC with MA. Good luck at your next appointment.
December 17th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry I do think doctors are really quick to recommend IVF, and it is really hard to hear those 3 letters....I've heard them as well from my doctor. My husband also had the varicocele surgery done in September and will have another SA on Monday. He's also been taking TONS of supplements ( I have them listed over in TTC w/ MFI if you are interested). Like you, I got pregnant naturally in the past ( and thankfully had a healthy pregnancy and a wonderful son as a result) so it is hard to imagine that it just can't happen again but the odds aren't in our favor at all if the surgery doesn't help.
DH's counts are 3.2 million/ml with 36% motility. Can I ask what your DH's are?

My Ovulation Chart
December 17th, 2010, 07:46 AM
The good thing with IVF is you are in charge with how many eggs you feel comfortable putting back. We only put 1 back because we did not want multiples. Also my RE is very anti putting in more then 1 for women under 30. He will only do it in cases where there has been multiple failures.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
December 19th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Super Mommy
DH's counts are 3.2 million/ml with 36% motility. Can I ask what your DH's are?[/QUOTE]

Dh's count were 6 million/ml with an initial motility of 40%. I hope we see improvement from his surgery.

Samantha
Where you not worried about the one egg not taking? My Re said he would put back 2-3 eggs in our case and i'm only 28!

December 22nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
mojo-risin's Avatar Super Mommy
For a good IVF clinic, single embryo transfer rates for your age group should be at least 50%. Especially if you have more than one blastocyst at transfer. Transferring 2 embryos should yield a multiple rate of about 30%. In short, the number of embryos transferred should be decided at the time of transfer, and based on embryo quality. It is something you can control to some extent.

Also, IUI cycles are where the high order multiples occur. You can't control the number of follicles that are recruited, and so even with Clomid or Letrozole as your only medication, you could end up with 2+ babies.

Hope this helps!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggie!!

December 22nd, 2010, 06:10 PM
Angel_Maker
I'm gonna pull the BS card for your RE.....I was told that I wouldn't get pregnant without IVf, and wouldn't you know that we did IVF and they put back two "perfect" blasts and I got a

I have PCOS and slight endo, and my DH has LESS than 1% morphology We have been pregnat FOUR TIMES without IVF.

Stand up for your treatment, don't let a DR pressure you into anything you're not prepared to do. IVF needs to be YOUR decision....not your REs

GOOD LUCK
December 22nd, 2010, 07:17 PM
I was not worried at all. Since the problems were on DH's end and not mine, I figured there is no reason for it not to take.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

December 23rd, 2010, 05:51 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies dh and I have a lot of thinking to do. We wont make a decision until after my apt, and Dh's follow up SA.

December 23rd, 2010, 06:39 AM
LindseyandJoeinAL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to wish you lots of luck with whatever you decide. I'm on my 2nd IVF and although it was a dreadful thought in the beginning, I'm now at peace with our efforts. It truly has to be a personal decision, one only you and your DH can make. (((HUGS))))
TTC baby #2

lap surgery Apr 2010 stage 2 endo removed
IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
Wonderful, sweet daughter Khloe born August 2011
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
2nd lap surgery Dec 2012 stage 1 endo removed
IUI Apr 2013 cancelled due to producing 10 mature follicles
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN
IVF #4 Nov 2013 BFP! on 8dp3dt