Question about progesterone

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2010, 06:17 PM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm gearing up for my second shot with IVF next month, and our appointment is next week to go over everything with my RE, order meds, sign consent forms, etc. I already talked to him about switching from PIO because I had such an adverse reaction to it (I literally had a ping pong ball size welt on each side of my butt and bruising for a minimum of FIVE months-- I found others with the same problem, so I don't feel as bad!). Anyway, he was fine with me doing suppositories. Do you have a kind you would recommend? He is pretty free with me choosing brands of stuff (I picked my own stims when we started last time!), so I just wondered if you've had experience with a kind that you liked better than another. One that you got pregnant on, perhaps (I love success stories). Also which pharmacy did you get the best deal on that kind??

Thanks so much in advance!! T-1 month til it all begins with our frozen babies.

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

December 21st, 2010, 06:24 PM
txjovigal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to txjovigal Send a message via Yahoo to txjovigal
Don't know your answer but I wish you the BEST, Jackie.. I hope this is it for you!!!

You will be in my prayers.

working on my 3rd, for sure by 11/15/11
December 21st, 2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks so much Esmy!

I guess I should also add to my question-- estrogen patches... I'll be starting Climara 0.1mg, and I'm looking for the same advice!

Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.

December 22nd, 2010, 07:16 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
AAAAAHHH! I'm so glad to read this Jackie. Have ya'll thought about how many you will be transferring?

Best of luck!!!
December 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks, Lee Ann! We'll be transferring 2 for sure. I already had my pre-IVF consult with my RE a couple weeks ago. We're using a straw with 2 8-cell grade A's (near perfect!) so praying that one or both are sticky beans this time!

Does anyone have any progesterone advise? Thanks in advance!

December 22nd, 2010, 09:39 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did progesterone in sesame oil injections and I got the lumps as well as itching and soreness. My dr switched us to the injections of progesterone in olive oil and it was much better. I also began icing the injection area prior to the injections and doing them a little earlier in the evening so I did not go lay down right away. The dr said that moving around after the injections helps the progesterone to disperse.

I am now 7 weeks pregnant and am able to switch from injections to pills! I did that 2 days ago....but since I began the pills I have been feeling sick all day! BLAH!

I never tried suppositories. Good luck with IVF!! I hope you get your miracle

December 22nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
Hopingfor1soon's Avatar Expecting a Miracle!
Send a message via MSN to Hopingfor1soon Send a message via Yahoo to Hopingfor1soon
YAY!!! I am so excited for you! I know you are going to get your BFP? How many frosties do you guys have left again?

Sorry I know that is off topic, but I just am so excited for you!
Anyways, for both my IVF cycles (last one FET) we used PIO injections so I am not much help. I will just give you this to think about though. I also had ALOT of bruising and started getting whelts. There were 3 things they told me to do and it worked miracles and I had nothing after that other than a little soreness the next day. So first ice the injection site for about 5-10 minutes before the injection. Make sure it is good and numb...you really cant overice. Second right after the injection have whoever gave it to you massage the site for a few minutes. This helps to spread the oil around and helps it to dissolve easier (No lumps!!!). And then after they massage the site HEAT! This is the most important part for avoiding the lumps. I used a flax seed heating pad that you can throw in the microwave, but a heating pad works well too. Heat for at least 20 minutes following the injection. Just some ideas. For me I used suppositories following our IUI cycle and they didnt work for me at all. My progesterone was still low. So I had to use the injections since they were the only thing that would keep it up. Also, if you do decide to use PIO injections I can send you my flax seed heating pad! It is amazing! I even used it for my back and neck when I was feeling stressed or sore!

Goodluck though! I cant wait for all your updates! Do you have any dates yet?

December 22nd, 2010, 12:23 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I too had problems with PIO, and switched to Progesterone in Ethyl Oleate. VERY thin and I had no problems with it. I also had to be on suppositories -- Endometrin. The Endometrin was not strong enough itself to support my levels so I was back on the PIEO AND Endometrin till 10 weeks.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
December 22nd, 2010, 12:30 PM
adnelg775's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Check your mailbox, Jackie!

December 22nd, 2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks, Alicia!! I had actually posted in here after I started getting the soreness and welts and got this good advice. Unfortunately, it still didn't work and when I started doubling my PIO injections, it got worse even while following those instructions. I think I may have been allergic to something, who knows. Oh and to answer your questions, we have 6 total frosties and will be using 2 this next cycle!! I should be starting in about a month!!

Sam- I'll have to check on that, thanks for the info! The injections themselves weren't bad, and I wouldn't mind doing them again, so maybe the thinner type will work. I'll write it down and ask the nurses when I go in for my nurse talk next week!! If I have to do suppositories and the shots, I have no problem with that... thanks so much for bringing that up!!

Glenda- thank you!!!!

December 22nd, 2010, 04:56 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Jackie -- Some doctors don't like the PIEO (mine did not but i was having reactions to all the oils -- they didnt even give me the peanut oil because i was already reacting to the IVF meds -- they gave me seseme oil instead and I reacted badly to that too -- so they switched me to olive oil but i still was reacting to that!) because they don't like the EO suspension, but it worked perfectly for me combined with the endometrin. I had no welts, swelling or pain (I also was able to use a 25 gauge needle instead of 22 which makes ALL the difference in the world.)

If they are monitoring your progesterone levels weekly, I don't see why they would say no to the PIEO
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
December 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I used the suppositories Jackie. I'm not sure what brand they were (and I just gave my leftovers to my co-worker who is doing her second IVF in January, so I can't check). They weren't a problem at all, at least for anyone who has been TTC a while and is used to checking her cervix! My only advice is to wear a panty liner because there is a lot of discharge.
December 22nd, 2010, 05:28 PM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Send a message via AIM to LindseyMarie
I've only done prometrium as far as progesterone, so I'm not much help! But just wanted to say I'm excited for you guys as you get ready for your FET!

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search