Finnally some answers! Getting hope back!

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2010, 06:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The question that still baffles doctors and nurses is: How did I get pregnant and stay pregnant with my daughter. All I can say it she is my complete and utter maricle baby! I love her to death and so glad that my body decided to cooperate! Words don't even begin to describe how thankful I am!

I missed doing day 3 bloodwork (we had a state inspection that day, so no way I could leave to go). However, I did an ultrasound on day 14. It showed a healthy, mature follicule. No other issues (fibroids, cysts, etc). However, just as I suspected I didn't O until CD 16. When they tested progestrone on CD 21 (Tuesday), my level was 7 which my doc said 10 is considered borderline. Making me have a short luetal phase. And explaining my losses among other just general cycle issues!

So here are my questions:
My OB wants to pull out all the guns! She does not want to see me back in the office pregnant unless its one that is sticking! I really *heart* my doctor right now. Her suggestion is progestrone shot, followed by daily <vaginal> suppliments until AF comes or 10-12 weeks pregnant. She said, even if we don't get a BFP right away it will help to get my doing what it should be doing and building up a healthy lining on my uterus (good right?). Then she said, that it was up to me, and she knows i'm not a medicine person and she respects that (bonus points!) but she wants me to do clomid CD 3-7 and on CD 14 do an u/s to check follicules and do an injection (Assuming what most here refer to as the trigger shot), then start the progestrone on CD 21.

1 - is that the normal protocal?
2- what side effects or general things should I expect doing clomid, the trigger shot, and progestrone?
3- how long does it typically take to become pregnant doing all of this? We've never had a hard time getting pregnant - its just staying pregnant.
4- By using medical assistance were you considered higher risk pregnancy or will be? This is one of my biggest worries because I want to use a birthing center nearby.

I'm so thankful to finnally have a doctor that I really like and can trust! I usually don't have a doctor that I like and can really trust. I have been so terrified of a hospital birth because I had a doctor that *SUCKED* for lack of a better word with my daughter's birth and I realized it too late in the game. Even little things now, she has been respectful.

So maybe, just maybe, for the New Year we can start it off with a new addition!!
December 23rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
1 - is that the normal protocal? I haven't used progesterone, but yes, it seems normal to me. I think your doctor is on the right track.
2- what side effects or general things should I expect doing clomid, the trigger shot, and progestrone? Clomid side effects vary. I almost always have hot flashes. The first few cycles I got headaches too. I didn't get that these last two though. Trigger-this depends on if you have Ovidrel or Novarel. (The location on the injection is different.) I've heard that women that use Ovidrel generally don't have any side effects. For me, on Novarel, I usually have some muscle soreness for a day or so. Progesterone-I've never used this but have heard that the side-effects mimic early pregnancy symptoms.
3- how long does it typically take to become pregnant doing all of this? We've never had a hard time getting pregnant - its just staying pregnant. I can't really answer this. I used to not have any problems getting pregnant either; but after my last chemical pregnancy I have been unable to conceive - even with meds. I have done three rounds of 50mg Clomid, one round of 50mg Clomid, Mucinex, and trigger, and one round of 100mg Clomid, Mucinex, trigger, and IUI.
4- By using medical assistance were you considered higher risk pregnancy or will be? This is one of my biggest worries because I want to use a birthing center nearby. Another one I can't answer. I would LOVE to know though because I would like to do a homebirth. If I had to guess, I would say as long as you conceive a singleton pregnancy you wouldn't be considered any higher risk that if you conceived naturally. For me though, not only do I have my losses and MA but I will be on Heparin during the pregnancy.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
December 23rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm. what is the Mucinex for? I've had an ear and sinus infection - I finished antibiotics BUT still very stuffed up so I'm still taking the Mucinex. Never heard of it for fertility!
Although it was interesting reading about B6 vitamins and progestrone.
December 23rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
It thins the cervical mucus. I was told to start it when I started Clomid and take it until my follie scan. Unfortunately for me, DH's swimmers were still having trouble so we moved to IUI. BUT I have heard MANY success stories. I was told to take 1800mg (three pills a day) and that I should spread it out over the day.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
December 23rd, 2010, 07:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OK Here's another question:
I told DH it would probably be a good idea to start doing an O predictor kit thingie. Any suggestions for brands?

Second - I am terrible at using the BBT. I mean, I hit the snooze 3 times before I wake up at least! From my understanding you've got to take it right away right? No snooze? I'm just worried I would be able to temp right so I haven't in the past. Any suggestions?
December 23rd, 2010, 08:01 PM
OPKs - I use Answer brand. Personally, I prefer the dipstick kind and buy the larger pack.

As for the BBT, yes it needs to be done right away. When I temped I set the alarm for 5:30am seven days a week. I would temp, jot it down, and then go back to sleep. Keep the thermometer next to the bed. You never have to get up.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search