Ureaplasma anyone? (x-posted)

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Toots216's Avatar Super Mommy
I started seeing an RE two weeks ago to try to get some answers regarding my two losses, and so far all of my blood tests (for clotting disorders and what-not) have come back negative. I did, however, get a letter from her on Christmas Eve telling me that my cervical swab tested positive for ureaplasma urealyticum. According to the letter, this is a small organism "which has been implicated, not only as possibly causing early miscarriages, but also in negatively affecting sperm mucus interaction, preventing normal fertilization of eggs." WTH!!! The letter stated several times that this is a fairly common finding and no cause for alarm. DH and I both have to take 2 weeks worth of antibiotics to clear up this bacteria. I have absolutely NO symptoms of anything being wrong!

Anyone have any experience with this? Does it cause damage to the reproductive tract, like scarring or anything like that? And has anyone had a successful pregnancy after being treated for this? I'm actually kind of glad they found something wrong with me, but nervous because there isn't a whole lot of info out there on this.

9/27/10 @ 7w1d
12/3/10 @ 5w4d

Our rainbow baby, William Patrick, finally arrived at 39w5d on 2/23/12!
7 pounds, 19 inches of healthy baby boy!
December 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM
eccomi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
been there, done that! we found out after DH's first SA that he had tested positive for ureaplasma urealyticum. we had never even heard of it before! we were both completely symptom free. my OB/GYN prescribed antibiotics for both of us and we thought that that was that. well, i guess it's a bit pesky to get rid of sometimes because when i went for my swab a few months later it still came back positive! we went back to my OB/GYN and got a different antibiotic and luckily that time it did the trick! honestly, i had hoped that that was the mystery card that had kept us from getting pregnant but to be honest we haven't had any luck since that was cleared up. i have since had my uterus and tubes check (everything appears to be a-ok). i have noticed that since our 2nd round of antibiotics i have had less EWCM than before.

i hope that once you get the u.u. taken care of that you get a quick BFP! if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me!

cycles 1-16: TTC naturally, all BFNs
cycle 17 & 18: not TTC (due to diagnostic tests)
october 14: RE appt with follow-up hysteroscopy + saline sonogram... TUBES ARE CLEAR!
cycle 19, 20 & 21: natural TTC cycles = BFNs
cycle 22: another natural cycle, but preparing for our first IUI with injectables for cycle 23! FINALLY!!!
FEBRUARY 10th... our very first when we least expected it!!!

october 26th... our little miracle arrived via c-section at 12:19pm weighing 3.920 kilos! we are in love.
December 26th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Toots216's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks so much for the input! Do you remember what antibiotics your dr had you on? We have to take doxycycline twice a day for two weeks, with an additional "megadose" of two pills on the first day. The instructions also said for us to start taking in on the first day of my next AF, which probably won't be for another two weeks, so of course I'm imagining that this symptomless bacteria is wreaking havoc on my uterus.

I'm really hoping this is the problem for me - I don't seem to have any issues getting pregnant, just staying pregnant. Ugh. When my AFs finally regulate after this latest m/c, I will be getting the whole gamut of fertility testing done and then hopefully we can be on our way to a sticky one.

I hope 2011 is your year and you can get some more answers and your BFP!!

9/27/10 @ 7w1d
12/3/10 @ 5w4d

Our rainbow baby, William Patrick, finally arrived at 39w5d on 2/23/12!
7 pounds, 19 inches of healthy baby boy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search