How much did you pay total for your IVF Meds?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My husband started at Starbucks around April, and I've heard that they often cover the meds for IVF, or at least cover a large amount of the cost. I've been searching their prescription cost "pricer" and I'm finding injectibles like Lupron, Bravelle, Menopur etc at only $65 when you input the number of vials you'd need and so on. I know that's drastically cheaper than the average amount paid, so I'm wondering if they Starbucks Insurance IVF legend is turning into fact here. What did you end up paying total for your meds?

I also should say that I'm not sure we'll need a high dose of injects. I respond incredibly well to even 25mg of Clomid (I ovulated 3 eggs the month we did IUI). I however have tubal issues, so IVF is my best bet.
batduppa likes this.

January 14th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
My IVF meds were 3900 dollars. (I paid nothing though cause I was on a grant - thats what the receipt said from the pharmacy)

ETA: That was for lupron, bravelle, menopur, sharps container, needles, syringes, estrace, baby asprin, progesterone shots (used about 6 vials total for 6 weeks), progesterone vaginal inserts (1 box a week for 6 weeks), HCG trigger, doxycycline & Medrol.

I stimmed for 10 days. I remember i used 4 vials of one and 1 vial of the other (I think 4 menopur and 1 bravelle.. I remember the dosage was 300 and 75).
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)

Last edited by Oriyan; January 15th, 2011 at 06:02 AM.
January 14th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Veteran
Only ~$120 I work for the government so I have great insurance but low pay. I won't be using Lupron, just Gonal-F, Cetrotide, Novarel, Doxycycline, and Progesterone. That price includes the needles, alcohol pads, and sharps container.
January 14th, 2011, 06:49 PM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My cost was $3,078. That was the cost of Gonal-F, Cetrotide, Medrol, Anti-biotic, and progesterone-in-oil. Like the other ladies, that includes the needles and alcohol pads.

Edited to add this-- when I go on my insurance website, I can look up drug prices. For instance, I looked up the cost of the Estadiol patches that I will be using for my FET cycle. They gave the co-pay amount of $8.00 for a box of 4. Unfortunately, with the dx of infertility, they don't 'really' cover it. I guess they'd cover it for different reasons, like menopause for example. So instead I'm paying the out-of-pocket price of $14/patch and I had to get 40! I mean, it's possible your insurance covers it, but you'd have to look into the quantity and diagnosis first with them.

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

Last edited by ~*Jackie*~; January 14th, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
January 14th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Ahh good info to know then. I know of the "other" methods to get meds too, so maybe I'll use those if this doesn't end up working out

January 15th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I did not do IVF, but we did have to buy injections for IUI. Granted, we probably did not buy as much as we would have for IVF. But what we did buy was good for 3 cycles.

So anyway, we bought Gonal-F and Lupron. My insurance at the time paid 80% and we had to pay 20% I believe we paid around $800-so you can imagine what it would have been for the whole price! This time, my insurance is even better, so I may only have to pay around 100 bucks for injections.

I hope your insurance is awesome-it makes things so much easier!
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

January 15th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Scubagirl, what insurance do you have? We have Premera Blue Cross Blue Shield

I'm also a good responder, so I'm worried that I'll overstimulate too

January 15th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post

I'm also a good responder, so I'm worried that I'll overstimulate too
The reason I stimmed for 10 days instead of the 7-8 i was told was because I was a good responder and they grew my follies slowly. My med dose never changed it was the same all 10 days. A good RE with the right protocol should not overstim
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
January 15th, 2011, 02:25 PM
That's what I'm really hoping for- one of the RE's I'm looking at does Micro IVF when needed, and while I know we'll do regular IVF, at least that tells me he's willing to go more conservative when needed

I wanted to add that I'm incredibly grateful for this board because I think I might have been too timid with my last RE and just fully trusted everything that he said. He appeared to be a very cookie cutter RE, and rarely did he even do much testing beyond progesterone and FSH. I don't know that he ever once checked my prolactin and T3 AND T4, despite the fact that I leak from my friggin boobs! What else screams high prolactin and/or possible thyroid dysfunction more than leaky non pregnant boobs?

I think if I"d continued to be timid, I'd have accepted his cookie cutter IVF approach, but something told me to pay attention to my gut. I know that I'm not that different from anyone else with fertility issues, but I also know that if he's not even paying attention to my basic hormone levels, he's going to possibly prescribe a regimen that doesn't fit me at all.

January 15th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I'm really really hoping the insurance cost holds up when we actually get to that point. I did some checking again on the name brand, "IVF only" kind of meds like Gonal F and Follistim and still got messages that said I'd pay $65 and they covered $5000, etc

January 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Some of my meds were covered by insurance. The only one that had no coverage was the Gonal-F. Our total drug cost was just under $2000.
January 15th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Super Mommy
My insurance is United and prescription drug program is Medco. One thing I found out after ordering several rounds of meds is for follistim, no matter whether I ordered the 300iu or 900iu, my co-pay was $100. And also with Follistim, if I ordered 1 or 10 vials, my max co-pay was $100. The $100 was per order, so if I ordered 1 vial and ran out and needed more that cycle, it was another $100. After I figured that out, my RE worked with me to order enough meds at one time to get me through cycles.

3 failed fresh IVFs, 1 failed FET
Surprise BFP in 12/10 after acupuncture & herbs!!
1 beautiful, perfect daughterl!

January 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Mine is Medco too through Blue Cross. So maybe the coverage really is what I heard! I noticed the same amount too no matter how many units or vials I entered into the calculator. It just said $65 or $100 no matter if it was a 1 day supply or 14 day supply

Is this the site you used for ordering?

https://host1.medcohealth.com/consumer/site/login

Tracey what was your protocol and what was your final total per round?

January 15th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Super Mommy
Yes, that is the same medco site. Medco didn't actually have the drugs that need to be mixed, like Follistim. They "referred" me to Accredo Specialty Pharmacy, which meant I still received the drugs at a discounted rate. I just signed in to confirm that on my last order in March 2010, I ordered 5-975iu's at my cost of $100 and the total cost was $5471! I like saving $5300!

I haven't done an IVF since April 2010. I took a break to do accupunture and was going to do a final IVF starting this month. I was pleasantly surprised to find out I got pregnant on my own.

For my last IVF cycle, I stimmed for 12 days, taking 300iu's of Follistim & 150 Menopur daily, and ganirellix for 4 days. After retrieval, I took Estrace and Endomterin. I have the details on the total cost on an AMEX statement, which I need to go find. I will get back to you on that.

I see that you are in North Texas. A good friend recently saw a great RE in Dallas and is about to deliver her miracle IVF baby. She also is the one who turned me onto Acupuncture. I can get more info for you, if you would like? PM me if you want more info.

3 failed fresh IVFs, 1 failed FET
Surprise BFP in 12/10 after acupuncture & herbs!!
1 beautiful, perfect daughterl!

January 15th, 2011, 04:42 PM
PM'ed!

January 15th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
My husband is military so we have that insurance..we paid for the ivf out of pocket..but some meds were covered..we had a few copays and we paid for one medication out of pocket..it totaled $1800.00...but im very sensitive to the stims (i only stimmed 6 days) and had a pretty low dosage..although i ended up with extra..so really it depends on how much and your insurance..total with ivf we only paid $8000 for our ivf cycle! (with meds) good luck hun!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
January 15th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jackie*~ View Post
Unfortunately, with the dx of infertility, they don't 'really' cover it. I guess they'd cover it for different reasons, like menopause for example.
It's commonly used for people that are younger than menopause age that have had a complete hysterectomy, where they take ovaries and all.

made by BAM

January 18th, 2011, 07:48 AM
NCAMomma's Avatar Veteran
We went to Guadalajara for our third try and the entire cycle including meds was 6k. We did a fresh cycle in the US and the meds were around 5k for the lupron flare protocol. I help others find cheaper meds when needed now and have found freegaragesale online has a section for unused ivf meds at a big discount listed. I have also been sent many meds to pass on to others after someone has been successful and not doing more IVF.
January 18th, 2011, 11:04 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
$0.

our insurance covered the entire cost for meds when we did IVFn The entire cost was around $3000 though each time. I stimmed for 9 days each time.

May 23rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
Lash, did the insurance through Starbucks cover meds only or did it actually cover the IVF? Thanks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search