How long were you on Clomid before you/doctor switched you?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
LanasMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I had been on clomid for quite some time. I am done with the prescription and refills the doctor ordered and still no baby. I went back to the office for my check up and the doctor recommended we try naturally for the next 3 months, well there is still nothing. I have another appointment with him on 3/15 and I want to suggest further treatment.

How long were you on Clomid (if you were on clomid) before you or your doctor suggest a more advanced process?

What was the next step for you? IVF, IUI etc.

Has anyone ever had their doctor tell them to try naturally after you have been on a medication for months?

to all

Me: 30 two blocked tubes
DH: 30 Perfectly healthy
TTC #2 since April 2009
February 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I think it varies from woman to woman, depending on the issues that she has and how Clomid affects her. Generally, though, doctors don't like to go past 6 months on Clomid, and will often suggest a different path, which may include trying naturally, moving on to a different drug like Femara, or stepping up the process with IUI or IVF.

What testing have you had, and what issues are you trying to overcome? Have you been monitored while on Clomid?

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 22nd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Jenn in DC's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi. My OB wanted me to try Clomid for six months before I tried an IUI or IVF. I was kind of impatient and ended up going to an RE and they suggested three cycles of Clomid, Injects and IUI. I did this and all three failed. Now I am moving on to IVF.

My feeling is that, for me personally, just taking Clomid wouldn't have done much for me. When I was taking it along with injectible meds for the IUIs, I didn't have a huge response to it. The monitoring for the IUI was able to show me that. So even though the IUIs didn't work for me, I'm glad to have that information.

I don't know if this helps. Are you considering moving on to IUI or IVF? I wish you the best!
Started TTC #1 July 2009
Summer 2010 - Three IUIs with Clomid & Gonal F - All BFNs
Winter 2011 - IVF Clinical Trial. Cycle Cancelled.
March 2011 - Minimal Stimulation IVF #1 - 2 eggs retrieved, fertilized and frozen on Day 3.
April 2011 - Mini-IVF #2 - 2 eggs retrieved, fertilized and frozen as expanded blasts on Day 5.
May 2011 - Mini-IVF #3 - 4 eggs retrieved (two mature and 2 immature), one egg made it to blast and was frozen. Five snowbabies in all!! Hysteroscopy.
July 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP and then miscarriage

November 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!! Aven Robert Born on August 4, 2012

July 2014 - Got Pregnant Naturally with Twins! Miscarriage at 9 weeks.
November 2014 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!
Beta #1 12 DPO = 45
Beta #2 14 DPO = 118
Beta #3 21 DPO = 3,451
February 22nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
Super Mommy
We did Clomid for 4 months starting with 50mg and ending with 225mg. We did an IUI on the 225mg Clomid cycle. Then we moved onto injectables. We did 4 cycles of injectables, only 1 with IUI. My RE said he will do max 6 cycles in injectables before we have to move onto IVF.

I just finished cycle #4 on injectables and had no luck. I'm actually going to see a new RE this week since I'm not happy with my current one.
February 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
LanasMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I wasn't monitored on Clomid. I had regular check ups all during the months I had taken it but nothing as extensive as what I read on JM. There were no ultrasounds to look at ovary size or anything like that. My doctor seems to think I have "unexplained" fertility issues. He actually thinks trying naturally would work best for us, because I have no health concerns, my husband is in perfect health. He prescribed me Clomid because he though trying it at a lower doseage would give my body a boost. I was on a VERY low dosage 50MG I asked for a higher doseage but he wouldn't agree to it especially because medically I was in perfect health. Its because of that I feel like I won't be approved by a doctor to do an IUI. We have been trying for almost 2 years. We have one daughter already who we conceived with no problems, although she wasn't exactly planned.

I am concerned because I feel there must be something wrong but how do you prove a doctor wrong? :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
I think it varies from woman to woman, depending on the issues that she has and how Clomid affects her. Generally, though, doctors don't like to go past 6 months on Clomid, and will often suggest a different path, which may include trying naturally, moving on to a different drug like Femara, or stepping up the process with IUI or IVF.

What testing have you had, and what issues are you trying to overcome? Have you been monitored while on Clomid?

to all

Me: 30 two blocked tubes
DH: 30 Perfectly healthy
TTC #2 since April 2009
February 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My RE let us do 3 months of Clomid, all along she was recommending IVF though. So we did the three months and now were just waiting to do IVF. To be totally honest, Ive rarely heard of a BFP from Clomid after the first few cycles. My RE said if its gonna work, it should work in three cycles.
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

February 22nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
brynnkelley04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was on Clomid for 2 cycles when we did our IUI's. When that did not work we did the HSG and then moved on to IVF.

Brynn 30,
Rich 41, Marcus 11, Gavin 8
~~IVF #4 using Donor Eggs=BFP
~~April 18th 1st U/S=TWINS! Baby A 128bpm Baby B 124bpm

February 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
I did clomid for only 2 cycles and stopped because it screwed up my cycles when I had normal 28-29 day cycles before it. My doctor told me that there was a 70% chance of conception in the first 3 months of taking it, seems unlikely but she said the percentage starts to go down after 3 months and most don't do it more then 6 months because of it thinning your lining too much. Our next step will be IUI "only" if our new insurance starting in a couple months covers it, if not, I am saving for IVF in summer since the chance of success is so much higher for that verses the 8-12% chance of success with IUI.

February 22nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I would ask your OB to do some testing, for both you and your husband. If he/she doesn't think it is necessary, I would find another doctor. You need answers, and it sounds like your current doctor isn't willing to find them for you. Even some basic bloodwork could shed some light on an issue that could easily be fixed so you can get that BFP!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 22nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did a total of 6 (my doctor wouldn't go over that due to problems it can cause), but I had a break between the 4th and 5th cycles of almost a year.

After starting with the RE, he explained how most ladies won't get pregnant after 3 cycles of Clomid (statistics show it- not sure why), but he didn't want me to do any more. We of course moved on to IVF because my issue is with endo, which was actually getting worse with Clomid.

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 41 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- August 2014: All but 7 cycles on BCP due to endometriosis.

IVF#3/FET#2 (November 2014) Transferred two perfect blasts- First BFP Ever. EDD 8/18/15

February 26th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did 2 Clomid cycles without extra help and 4 clomid cycles with IUI (our 4th is coming up in a couple days). I don't know what he'll suggest next, I did get pregnant once and we are dealing with male factor, but I think he will take me off Clomid and move onto different meds still with IUI. I have heard about 6 cycles of Clomid being the max due to risk as well. And with IUI, I know the stats are that it should work within the first 4 cycles, with the 1st cycle not usually being successful.

That being said, I've been on these boards for 2 years and have not seen the exact same fertility plan yet, I think every doctor has a different way

Make a pregnancy ticker
February 26th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Angel_Maker
Are you ovulating with the Clomid?? I ask because I had issues where I wasn't Oing on Clomid and then my RE discovered I had elevated androgens [testosterone] and prescribed prednisone as well, and that worked like a champ

In got pregnant my first round of Clomid, but it resulted in non viable conjoined twins Then I was on it for months and months after that...sometimes Oing, sometimes not...then in 2009, I tried Clomid and Prednisone and got pregnant the first time (with IUI) but that was a blighted ovum....

I researched some natural ways to improve fertility and have gotten pregnant twice on my own since then....unfortunately my first naturally ocurring was a little boy whom we lost at 21 weeks due to incompetent cervix....but I'm now 26 weeks pregnant with a baby girl

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
February 26th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did 4 months of clomid with my OB/GYN. She wanted me to keep trying clomid, but I decided it was time to see an RE at that point. My OB wasn't making sure I Od and I wasn't comfortable with the result I was seeing. My period was almost non existant, which to me meant that my lining was thin and my LP was still short, which meant that I wasn't Oing like I should. The RE had me to 1 more round of clomid so she could do a bunch of blood work while I was on it. Since it was a "diagnostic" round, my insurance paid for the ultrasounds. We decided to do a trigger shot and IUI with that. That didn't work and we were going to try one or two months of injectibles with IUI and then onto IVF.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

February 26th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanasMommy View Post

How long were you on Clomid (if you were on clomid) before you or your doctor suggest a more advanced process?

What was the next step for you? IVF, IUI etc.

Has anyone ever had their doctor tell them to try naturally after you have been on a medication for months?
I was on clomid for 3 months, each month upping the dose and had no luck.

We then saw a new dr and did IUI with injectibles (because of the lack of response) and only got one egg - negative cycle. I wasn't happy with the dr one bit and so I chose to wait. We then moved to CA where I found a new dr in October, did IVF (our choice not their suggestion) and got pregnant in November. Lost the baby in April at 21 weeks, did another IVF in August and am due in May.

And any months we weren't doing something medically we try on our own. We will do the same when baby is born, until we are ready for another IVF cycle.

February 28th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did 7 months on clomid. My OB that was prescribing the clomid would have kept prescribing it as well, but I insisted on a referral to the fertility clinic at that time. The OB had been prescribing 50mg from day 3-7. I am 34 and ovulate every month on my own (I chart and use the CBFM to prove this), but I was ovulating late and he felt that clomid would make me O earlier. I was O'ing around CD 24 before and CD 17 on clomid so it did what he expected it to. When I got in to see the fertility clinic doctor, he was concerned that I had been on clomid for so many months. He said that typically people are on it for 3 months and then off for a few months as it can cause you to have a thin lining. He gave me a prescription for 100mg of clomid for one month only to try IUI but then suggested that if it didn't work, I should take a 3 month break.

I have now been off clomid for 3 cycles and have been taking natural herbs to thicken my lining. I tried soy isoflavones for the first month this cycle and they moved my O date to CD 17 just like clomid (but they don't thin the lining).

The fertility clinic wants me to try 3 more cycles of IUI (with clomid) prior to going to IVF, but will jump straight to IVF if we wish. If I do another cycle of IUI, I will not use clomid though, I will continue with the soy instead.

It's your body and your money, I'm pretty sure you can insist on any course of treatment that you want.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
February 28th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
With DS he was our last and final round after 6 cycles. The RE said we'd come up with a new plan if that didn't work. With this one it was our 3rd cycle.

made by BAM

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search