Embryo's never make it to blast???

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
lynnette74's Avatar Super Mommy
I am in the 2WW right now for my second IVF. First IVF had 12 embryo's that most made to pre-blast but never blast. IVF #2 had 9 embryo's - (3) transferred on day 3 and the rest made to pre-blast but never blast. This is the second time. I was online reading and I am feeling that this cycle isn't going to work because they haven't made it to blast.

Has anyone else had problems with their embies going to blast and then have a successful 3day transfer???

IVF Cycle #1
01/18/11... Egg Retrieval - 22 Eggs!
01/19/11... RE called: 15 eggs mature and of those 12 eggs fertilized!
01/21/11... RE called 7 eggs are good quality, 3 eggs are questionable, and 2 eggs didn't advance and were disgarded.
01/23/11.. 5day Transfer - 2 Embryo - Quality 1DD - No embryo's made it to freeze.
IVF Cycle #2
02/16/11... Egg Retrieval - 11 Eggs
02/17/11... RE called: 9 eggs mature and all 9 eggs fertilized!!!
02/19/11... 3day Transfer - (3) 8 Cell Perfect Embryo - No Fragmentation - No embryo's made it to freeze.
02/26/11... HPT - very light BFP 02/28/11... Beta Test - 12dpo - 20
14dpo - 31 / 16dpo - 75.3 / 19dpo - 343.4 / 21dpo - 1028 / 23dpo - 2459 / 26dpo - 5933 / 29dpo - 13643
03/10 - Saw Sac and Yolk - - 03/16 - Saw Heartbeat!!!!

Remembering my lost one 02/05/09
February 23rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
brynnkelley04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you because with my 1st IVF I never made it that far because of the overdose. I just wanted to tell you I'm thinking about you and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I hope someone can give you some good advice.

Wishing you the best!!!

Brynn 30,
Rich 41, Marcus 11, Gavin 8
~~IVF #4 using Donor Eggs=BFP
~~April 18th 1st U/S=TWINS! Baby A 128bpm Baby B 124bpm

February 23rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So in two cycles, all of the eggs have arrested? What are your blood hormone levels? Do you know your last Day 3 Estrodial and FSH?

February 23rd, 2011, 08:48 PM
mojo-risin's Avatar Super Mommy
Embryo quality is affected by both sperm and egg quality, either of which can be contributing to your poor embryo development. However, I would say that you are just a victim of the numbers game, and the following might help.

You had 9 oocytes fertilize normally. Knowing that aneuploidy (chromosome issues) affect 40-50% of embryos, you should expect 4-5 embryos to develop normally up until day 3. (Some women have more and some less due to the fact that some embryos develop despite having chromosome issues, you have to take into consideration maternal diagnosis, and age). After day 3, there is typically a large drop off, and another drop off for day 5, for a total decrease to about 30-40% of the 4-5 normal embryos. That would give you 1-3 genetically normal embryos making it to blastocyst. By your cycle statistics, they chose 3 non-fragmented 8 cells for a Day 3 transfer. Those embryos are exactly where they should be for day 3, (and as they were the best on day 3, have a strong chance of being your 1-3 embryos I quoted above). I wouldn't have expected for you to have anything to cryopreserve, especially with your previous cycle outcome, but you should have quite a bit of hope for the BEST three embryos that you got back.

I would never discount a cycle based on what you have left after transfer. Embryologists know what to look for, and will make the best choices based on what they have in the lab. I know a 39 year old woman with previous failed cycles who only had 6 embryos. She transferred 3 on day 3, she had none to freeze. Now, she has triplets!!

Keep incubating, Mama, there is always hope!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggie!!

February 23rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only had one IVF cycle. I only had a few embryos and they were afraid they would not make it to blast so they actually did a 2 day transfer on me. I really only had 2 good embryos. I had 2 others that were low quality. They put all 4 back in me and I got pregnant. I am pregnant with one baby right now from it!!

Good luck!!!

February 24th, 2011, 08:53 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
while it is ideal for embryos to grow to blast it doesnt happen for everyone. It doesnt mean you dont have good embryo's though... and it doesnt mean you wont get pregnant on a day 3 transfer.

there are to many factors that can contribute to poor embryo developement...the meds you took, your age, your reason for infertility, the lab conditions...the list goes on and on...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search