Is it my decision how many embryos to transfer?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2011, 02:37 AM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am trying to pick a clinic to do IVF at... Much harder than I thought it would be! Well I am noticing that a lot of clinics are now routinly doing single embryo transfers on women who qualify. This is something I do not want. I want two embryos transfered regardless of how good they would be. We are accepting of getting twins and I am starting to kind of like the idea of twins now since I want 2 more children anyways and than we wouldnt have to do IVF again to have the 2nd one. Plus I want the absolute highest chance of success for the money we are paying. I am worried that our doctor may refuse to do more than one embryo if I quality for a single embryo transfer. Or would they transfer two if I absolutely insisted that this is what I wanted. So whose ultimate decision will it be on how many will be transfered? I can understand them refusing to transfer 4 or more but Im not asking for that, just 2. I feel like I would be extremely furious and very upset if during transfer time they refused to transfer 2 and only did one. This is really upsetting me even now!

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

February 24th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Super Mommy
I agree with you. I would be upset too if they were insisting on only transfering 1. From what I've read from other people's posting, it is most common for RE's to transfer 2. My RE recommended 2, but we also worked with him for 2 years so he knew DH and me very well and honored our wishes to transfer 3 with our last IVF cycle. My age was also a factor.

I would definitely meet with the RE's to find one who understands you and what you expect. Your expectations are not unreasonable!

3 failed fresh IVFs, 1 failed FET
Surprise BFP in 12/10 after acupuncture & herbs!!
1 beautiful, perfect daughterl!

February 24th, 2011, 07:42 AM
brynnkelley04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My RE said based on my age(29) he will only transfer 2. He did say that if need be we would do 3 but that would be after 2 failed IVF cycles. We only want 2 transferred at this time. If that is very important to you to have 2 transferred he should respect that. After all your paying thousands of dollars. You should get what you want.

Brynn 30,
Rich 41, Marcus 11, Gavin 8
~~IVF #4 using Donor Eggs=BFP
~~April 18th 1st U/S=TWINS! Baby A 128bpm Baby B 124bpm

February 24th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
My RE would only do 1 since i had no history of infertility and it was my DH who had the issue. My clinic is very anti multiples and will only put back more then 2 embies when mom has had multiple IVF failures or miscarriages
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
February 24th, 2011, 09:09 AM
mojo-risin's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes, and no. Most RE's will allow you to choose between 1 and 2. However, if they feel like you have a more likely chance of complications die to multiples (uterine issues, previous late losses, etc) they will usually push one embryo. I think that if they counsel you on the risks of two, and you are fine with that, you should have no problem getting them to transfer two. Our clinic does a mix of one or two, and rarely three based on failed cycles or poor embryo development.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggie!!

February 24th, 2011, 09:38 AM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo-risin View Post
Yes, and no. Most RE's will allow you to choose between 1 and 2. However, if they feel like you have a more likely chance of complications die to multiples (uterine issues, previous late losses, etc) they will usually push one embryo. I think that if they counsel you on the risks of two, and you are fine with that, you should have no problem getting them to transfer two. Our clinic does a mix of one or two, and rarely three based on failed cycles or poor embryo development.
Same here. Ultimately, it my DH and I's decision if we wanted to transfer 1 or 2. After a second failed IVF now though, I'm wondering if my RE may bring up the possibility of transferring more next time. I only have 4 frosties.

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

February 24th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My clinic gave me the option of 1 or 2 this last time, we chose to do 2 and only one stuck resulting in our daughter.
February 24th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriyan View Post
My RE would only do 1 since i had no history of infertility and it was my DH who had the issue. My clinic is very anti multiples and will only put back more then 2 embies when mom has had multiple IVF failures or miscarriages
That's how my clinic is. If the issue seems to be within the male and there are no previously documented MCs they will only transfer 1.

made by BAM

February 24th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks everyone it seems to vary. These particular clinics seem to pride themselves on single embryo transfers and their low multiple rates. The two clinics I am interested in claim 60-65% pregnancy rate with single 5 day transfers. Ive been reading about how even normal looking embryos have around a 50% chance of not developing properly and the whole cycle would seem like a waste if the one they put in was one that would never be compatable with life. I feel like with 2 atleast one would likely be healthy. Im just afraid these clinics would argue against what I want and than the whole experience would be negative. I am 28 now, will be 29 when we do IVF and I have no know fertility issues. This is male factor only, bypassing DH's vasectomy.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

February 24th, 2011, 02:34 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Nicole ~ View Post
The two clinics I am interested in claim 60-65% pregnancy rate with single 5 day transfers.
That is pretty awesome!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 25th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Yah it is pretty awsome. Seems almost too awsome to be true. I hope these are honest statistics. Im still researching the clinics.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

February 25th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My clinic pushes for one most of the time. When we went in for our transfer, the RE doing the transfer really wanted to only transfer one. He said that he was concerned that if we transfered 2 that I could end up with triplets if one split. I told him that I was more scared of not getting pregnant than having multiples. So, he talked me into transfering one perfect grade A embryo and one good grade B embryo (instead of transfering 2 perfect grade A). I'm glad I had 2 transfered because I got pregnant with one baby.

Last edited by AllisonC; February 25th, 2011 at 07:33 AM.
February 25th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Our clinic will usually only transfer 1 depending on the embryo quality. Our embryo quality was so poor that they gave us the option to transfer up to 3 - which is what we did.
February 25th, 2011, 07:54 PM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
They should give you the option to choose.

My RE recommended only transferring 1 but we really wanted to transfer 2 and he agreed. He wouldn't transfer any more than that though because of my age and our diagnosis (MFI only).

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

February 25th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Im so torn. Some of the clinics claim that if they transfer one excellent grade blast than you have the same chance of becoming pregnant as transfering two. And that transfering two will only increase the chance of twins. But I just dont feel hopefull only transfering one and transfering two makes me feel much more hopeful of getting a BFP. How do I know if what they say about transfering only one is true or not. Single embryo transfer seems to be starting to become popular only lately and it seems like the clinics are really supporting this. I dont know, this methoud just does not leave me feeling confident going into IVF but Im afraid since they support this so much that they wont transfer two even if I want.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

February 26th, 2011, 11:16 AM
mojo-risin's Avatar Super Mommy
Nicole - call each clinic and ask them questions regarding their policy on 1 vs. 2. Tell them that you are comparing clinics in the area, and you want to be sure that your wishes will be taken into consideration. If they want your business, they will be more than happy to talk with you over the phone prior to scheduling an appointment. If they don't want to discuss their policies over the phone, continue your search!

Also, if you want to be sure that their pregnancy rates are accurate, visit sart.org, and check their SART reports. Each IVF clinic reports to SART each year, and those rates are very accurate. You can see pregnancy rates for each age group, as well as the average number of embryos transferred, and how many live births there are.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggie!!

February 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo-risin View Post
Nicole - call each clinic and ask them questions regarding their policy on 1 vs. 2. Tell them that you are comparing clinics in the area, and you want to be sure that your wishes will be taken into consideration. If they want your business, they will be more than happy to talk with you over the phone prior to scheduling an appointment. If they don't want to discuss their policies over the phone, continue your search!

Also, if you want to be sure that their pregnancy rates are accurate, visit sart.org, and check their SART reports. Each IVF clinic reports to SART each year, and those rates are very accurate. You can see pregnancy rates for each age group, as well as the average number of embryos transferred, and how many live births there are.
The problem is that we are going to go to Canada since we can easily drive there in about 2 hours and the prices are much less than in the U.S. I have yet to find a database simular to SART for statistics so basically I am having to take their word for it. One clinic I have been very interested in I contacted them and every question I had for the receptionist or whoever answered the phone was she told me to discuss it during my consult! When I asked about the single embryo transfer success they seem to brag about so much on their site she said for me to discuss it with the doctor at a consult. Ok than I asked her for more detailed statistics since on their site they only list % of pregnacies per embryo transfer and again she said to discuss statistics with the doctor during consult! I think I should be able to get statics before I consult because I dont want to pay their $200 for a consult if their staticss suck! So now Im thinking I dont feel comfortable with them since they dont want to give me any information. This is the clinic that seems to do mostly single embryo transfers. Now I have found a clinic that seems to more routinly transfer 2 embryos so maybe this will be a better fit for me anyways.

I decided that I am going to research the risks and what is involved in a twin pregnancy to help me decide if I want to go for single embryo transfer or a two embryo transfer.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

February 26th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Here are some Canadian sites, I hope that this helps:

Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society
Assisted Human Reproduction Canada - Home Page
IVF.ca - On-line IVF Resource Network
Homepage - Support every step of the way - myfertility
Fertility - Medbroadcast
February 26th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
My dr's policy was for the first time around to do NO MORE then 3 embryos. He adjusted that based on quality and number of eggs as well as the day transfer we could do. Both times we put in two embryos that were perfect quality and both we 3dt. Both times only one took.

It is up to you to a certain degree. Had we not gotten pregnant the first time each time, he may have been willing to be more aggressive, but not right off the bat.

February 27th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the links. Im going to check them out. Im in the states so I dont know as well were to look for Canadian clinic informations. Im pretty annoyed with the clinic who told me I should have a consult to hear about their statics. Part of choosing were you want to have a consult is what their statics are!

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search