Is Infertility Cool? Discuss.

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2011, 11:17 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Is it suddenly "cool" to be infertile? I just saw an article on US Weekly where Khloe Kardashian is complaining that she can't get pregnant and she doesn't know what the issue is. She also states that they "aren't actively trying." What the heck? I also have a friend who didn't get pregnant in her first four months of trying, so she wants a prescription for Clomid. She doesn't think she can take the stress of TTC anymore. Am I missing something? Is it the new, fashionable thing to struggle with fertility? These women make me want to scream!!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

February 24th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Super Mommy
If so, I want to be the uncoolest person in the world.

3 failed fresh IVFs, 1 failed FET
Surprise BFP in 12/10 after acupuncture & herbs!!
1 beautiful, perfect daughterl!

February 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone who thinks it's cool obviously hasn't really struggled with it. Making people aware of it is one thing, glorifying it is totally different.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

February 24th, 2011, 11:42 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Amen, Tracey

Melissa & DH

February 24th, 2011, 11:56 AM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
HA! It definitely doesnt feel cool! Im starting to get more and more annoyed with people who have been trying to conceive for a few months and think theres a problem because it didnt happen the first or second month.

How in the world could she say "She cant get pregnant and doesnt know why" but then that they're not "actively trying"? That doesnt make one bit of sense to me. Infertilty is the toughest thing I have ever been through in my ENTIRE life. And people who think it is "cool" honestly havent been through it because its just the opposite. 99% of the time im extremely embarrassed about it and would never think to tell the public crap like that. And people who do, like I said, havent really been through it and want attention.

Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

February 24th, 2011, 12:10 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥Ashley♥ View Post
havent really been through it and want attention.

That's how I feel about my friend...she just wants drama in her life, and since she knows about our struggle, she thinks she can come to me for support. I am really having a hard time being nice to her. Four months of not getting pregnant does NOT equal infertility. Thanks for letting me vent, ladies!

Melissa & DH

February 24th, 2011, 12:12 PM
brynnkelley04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WHAT? She has only been TTC for 4 months and is ready to give up? REALLY????? Those girls make me want to puke

Brynn 30,
Rich 41, Marcus 11, Gavin 8
~~IVF #4 using Donor Eggs=BFP
~~April 18th 1st U/S=TWINS! Baby A 128bpm Baby B 124bpm

February 24th, 2011, 12:22 PM
lynnette74's Avatar Super Mommy
Wish my wait was four months.... almost 3 years is driving me crazy!!! Although.. this 2WW is a short time but man it feels like years.. hahahaha

IVF Cycle #1
01/18/11... Egg Retrieval - 22 Eggs!
01/19/11... RE called: 15 eggs mature and of those 12 eggs fertilized!
01/21/11... RE called 7 eggs are good quality, 3 eggs are questionable, and 2 eggs didn't advance and were disgarded.
01/23/11.. 5day Transfer - 2 Embryo - Quality 1DD - No embryo's made it to freeze.
IVF Cycle #2
02/16/11... Egg Retrieval - 11 Eggs
02/17/11... RE called: 9 eggs mature and all 9 eggs fertilized!!!
02/19/11... 3day Transfer - (3) 8 Cell Perfect Embryo - No Fragmentation - No embryo's made it to freeze.
02/26/11... HPT - very light BFP 02/28/11... Beta Test - 12dpo - 20
14dpo - 31 / 16dpo - 75.3 / 19dpo - 343.4 / 21dpo - 1028 / 23dpo - 2459 / 26dpo - 5933 / 29dpo - 13643
03/10 - Saw Sac and Yolk - - 03/16 - Saw Heartbeat!!!!

Remembering my lost one 02/05/09
February 24th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
I am probably going to get chastised for saying this, but I feel that even on this board and JM in general there are some that want it fast and want twins so they keep bugging Drs to give them Clomid. When that doesn't work fast enough they want something more/stronger.

I hate the fact I have to spend thousands of dollars just to have children. And then at that I've got a 50% chance of MC.

made by BAM

February 24th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Angel_Maker
I think a lot of people like the attention.....DH and I have been TTC since September 2006....so yeah, we're coming up on 5 years and I'm praying that I'm actually holding Miss Ally in my arms come September
February 24th, 2011, 01:37 PM
hollann1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Its hard to see or hear something like that. Its not like its been my choice to spend the last 17 cycles trying so hard for something. Not even to mention money. I would have taken 4 months of trying and been happy with that

** Thank you Oona for the awesome siggy**

Last edited by hollann1984; February 24th, 2011 at 01:41 PM.
February 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I find myself getting really worked up about people who freak out when it takes more than one month to get pregnant. A family friend who just started TTC in December. A couple weeks ago, my sister told me that this friend 'is having trouble getting pregnant'. Really? 2 months is trouble?

I know that people just want to immediately get pregnant and that any BFN is hard to see, but it is NOT infertility and it does belittle what we go through.
February 24th, 2011, 06:55 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
its very "in fashion" right now to be infertile.

i see it on here and other boards too..everyone wants to ride the cool infertility train...because they KNOW they arent infertile..it just makes a great sob story to tell everyone.... oh it took us SIX months and one script of clomid to have our " micracle baby " especially when they dont have pcos they dont have mutltiple losses or any other reason except IMPATIENCE

they wouldnt want to be part of the club if they had spent years ttc...crying until your eyes are on fire...sobbing so hard that your husband doesnt know what to do with you...feeling so low that nothing looks beautiful anymore....waking up after a d/c knowing you just lost a miracle and thinking that you are so desperate for a child that you would be willing to risk anything..everything ..just for a chance to hold a baby.

any takers for this cool club???

February 24th, 2011, 07:47 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Gee, Christin, you make it sound like so much fun...I hope there is an "I'm Infertile" t-shirt to go with the club membership!

Seriously, it is really sad. I wouldn't wish infertility on my worst enemy.

Melissa & DH

February 24th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *CAMM* View Post
its very "in fashion" right now to be infertile.

i see it on here and other boards too..everyone wants to ride the cool infertility train...because they KNOW they arent infertile..it just makes a great sob story to tell everyone.... oh it took us SIX months and one script of clomid to have our " micracle baby " especially when they dont have pcos they dont have mutltiple losses or any other reason except IMPATIENCE

they wouldnt want to be part of the club if they had spent years ttc...crying until your eyes are on fire...sobbing so hard that your husband doesnt know what to do with you...feeling so low that nothing looks beautiful anymore....waking up after a d/c knowing you just lost a miracle and thinking that you are so desperate for a child that you would be willing to risk anything..everything ..just for a chance to hold a baby.

any takers for this cool club???

I couldn't have said it better myself!

made by BAM

February 24th, 2011, 09:33 PM
hopingforbabymc's Avatar Finally Pregnant!
Popping in, but Christin said it all. Everyday is so very hard. Going into public and seeing people happily playing with their babies is almost unbearable. To want something so badly, and know deep down that wanting it isn't enough.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Team BLUE!! Two precious boys born on October 28th, 2013.
Liam - 6lbs 7oz
Micah - 6lbs 10oz
February 24th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only cool part is that we all become stronger and more capable of taking on life than we ever imagined. The hard part is that sometimes we stop wanting to take on much of anything after awhile.

I wrote on my blog the other day that infertility steals from us. It we lose our finances and most of the time we lose our minds

Quote:
The saying goes that it's no use crying over Spilt Milk. I disagree. It's very useful to cry at this point. It's very useful to feel these emotions, because they are real, and this is real life. Grief means that we feel pain. Sadness and tears usually indicate loss, and if infertility doesn't equal loss, then I'm not sure what else does. It's a loss for many of us even before we HAVE children because we lose the right to "do this like everyone else". We lose the ability to usually feel normal. To feel fertile. To feel feminine. To feel useful. We lose finances. We lose sleep. We lose time at work and at our families to spend it at doctor's offices. We lose what we thought pregnancy and conception was going to look like. We lose innocence. We lose babies and that takes pieces of our heart we never get back. We lose sanity at times, and we lose our minds most of the time. We lose in most areas and loss means tears. You lose before you ever start to win, and for a very long time all you ever feel is loss.
So if it's cool to get robbed, lose your mind, and go in debt, then by all means, sure consider yourself awesome.

February 25th, 2011, 03:46 AM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I doubt anyone would think it was cool. Im sure anyone would rather conceive naturally than have to spend money on treatment and go through meds and/or procedures. I just think infertility is getting more common, especially among celebrities, because people are waiting longer before having kids.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

February 25th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Dh and I have never ttc. My Ob is treating me for infertility. We ntnp until the ma cycles. If it wasn't for me having 3 m/c and one amazing Ob we'd still be back at square one. I have said for years I have a problem and my daughter went against all odds. I thank god every day for her making it here safely against the odds. I didn't need to ttc to know something was wrong, 3 m/c are more than enough. One year or One month wouldn't make a world of difference since my cycle has a mind if ts own.

I do agree it's so not cool. I hate seeing medical bills, bruises on my arms from blood work, the Ob office knowing me by name, hate having to take medicines and be reminded of everything that my body isn't doing right despite being otherwise healthy. Of course many more person reasons. I'd never wish this upon anyone. To say this is cool is just wrong.
February 25th, 2011, 05:53 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
there is w/out a doubt people who that think its cool or maybe just a little bit exciting...they are the ones who are not truly infertile...they are the ones who are just impatient...ttc for a couple of months and then think "hmmm well i know sally was able to get clomid from her OB..i bet if i tell them ive been trying for XX they'll give it to me as well....eek i wonder if we'll get TWINS"

people are learning its a quick fix...if you arent truly experiencing problems.

infertility has become more acceptable, more popular, and more in fashion...partly because of celebrities..partly because of groups like ours where its an open forum and everyone can read about it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search