For those of you who have graduated from Clomid to Injectables

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wondering if your doc wanting you to take a month off before switching from a Clomid cycle to an injectable cycle?

We just completed our 6th round of Clomid, and 4th round of IUI's and if it doesn't work we have a follow up appt March 24 to see what the next plan of action is. I'm assuming it would be injectables because I did get pg with IUI in Oct so we know it's possible.

Also what do I expect out of an injectable cycle? Medication, how often? U/S how often? Just wondering what everyone's experience is?

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 3rd, 2011, 05:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I did not have to wait a cycle between Clomid and injectables. Btw-I when it came down to it, I preferred the injects over the Clomid-way less s/e and I felt better. Anyway, I usually stimmed for 12-14 days (a shot of Gonal F and a shot of Lupron every day), then triggered and had my iui the following day. I was seen every other day for monitoring.

I hope this last cycle of Clomid works and you don't need to worry about all of this stuff!
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

March 4th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Super Mommy
Tammy - My RE did not make me take a month off before moving from Clomid to injectables. From all the ladies posting on here about their injectable cycles, it sounds like every RE has a different approach.

I did 4 injectable cycles and used Gonal F and Novarel HCG trigger for all of them. I did the injections starting on CD 3 and injected everyday usually until CD 12 or so, then did the HCG shot. My RE also had me do a booster shot of the HCG a week after I did the first HCG injection.

Each injectable cycle I did 3-4 u/s. One on CD 3, one around CD 7, and then another right before doing the HCG shot.

Definitely let me know if you have any questions! I'd be happy to share my experience
March 4th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Veteran
I just got gonal for this cycle and did clomid last cycle... They did not make me wait. Not sure what to expect yet!! I will take the first shot either Sun or Mon.
Good Luck!!
March 4th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Super Mommy
why would someone switch from clomid to injectables? sorry, i dont know the answer - doesnt it do the same thing?

Married May 2010
TTC since August 2010, almost a year
IUI in December 2010 - BFP - chemical
IUI on 3/13/11 - BFN
April natural cycle - BFP on 4/22 - chemical confirmed 4/28
IUI done on 5/12 - BFN

IUI #4 done 6/6 - BFN
so sick of getting BFNs

total of 4 failed IUIs
IVF in July

using acupuncture 1x week, Royal Jelly, pre natals, organic Spirulina, Maca Root and Red Raspberry tea
March 4th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Veteran
I think it does but in a different way ....??? Although I was making follicles with clomid, still no bfp.. Love to hear what other have to say on this as I have thought the same thing....
March 4th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Super Mommy
i just came from the RE - had to get a culture before IUI next week - asked about injectables and he said that he does not use them, unless a pt does not have IVF coverage; i guess it is a little more strong but he does not like to normally prescribe; he only reserves for some IVF pts that have not responded to clomid/femara, or those that donthave IVF coverage to move things along

Married May 2010
TTC since August 2010, almost a year
IUI in December 2010 - BFP - chemical
IUI on 3/13/11 - BFN
April natural cycle - BFP on 4/22 - chemical confirmed 4/28
IUI done on 5/12 - BFN

IUI #4 done 6/6 - BFN
so sick of getting BFNs

total of 4 failed IUIs
IVF in July

using acupuncture 1x week, Royal Jelly, pre natals, organic Spirulina, Maca Root and Red Raspberry tea
March 4th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
A lot of women switch because Clomid gives them bad s/e, such as thin lining (my issue with Clomid). Also, the s/e are generally worse with Clomid than injections. For example, I had vision changes, which is a pretty severe s/e. That means that when we do go back to our RE, I cannot do Clomid again.

Also, Clomid works on estrogen receptors in the brain, injections work on your ovaries themselves. So they act differently. You are more likely to get more follies on Injectables and your lining is likely to also be thicker. I did 3 rounds of Clomid, got pregnant the first one but m/c. The other two rounds on the higher dosage, my lining was thin which was probably an issue with implantation. My first cycle of injections, I conceived Alex. In part, I thank my very thick lining...that I did not have with Clomid.
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

March 4th, 2011, 05:24 PM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Send a message via AIM to LindseyMarie
I went from clomid to Femara, and then to injectibles.... But the only reason I took a month off was we spent 3 weeks in California, so wasn't here for appointments!

I was injecting 75-125 IU of Follistim once a day, going in for bloodwork and ultrasounds ever other day, and then around CD 10-14 triggering! No side effects, they were very very easy!

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

March 6th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My RE made me wait a month between our Clomid cycle and starting injections for our IVF cycle. I think they want to make sure that all of the Clomid is out of your system first.
March 7th, 2011, 12:09 PM
MrsB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by acgka View Post
why would someone switch from clomid to injectables? sorry, i dont know the answer - doesnt it do the same thing?
I did 7 cycles of Clomid with no results. Did 1 cycle of injections and got my BFP. In theory they both stimulate the ovaries to produce eggs. Injectins are just stronger.

I didn't wait between Clomid and injectables. I did my last month of clomid with my OB and had my 1st appt with the RE a few days before AF was supposed to start. If it didn't show it would have been an appointment for nothing, but since it did I just called them the day it started and they ordered my meds for me and I started that cycle.

I had blood work and an US on CD3 then started with 75IU of Gonal-F. I then went back a few days later to check follie growth (bld work/US), continued on the 75IU for a few more days. Went back again for another US/bld work and was bumped up to 125IU for 2 days. Had another US/bld work and triggered that night. I only had 1 egg at 18mm when I triggered on day 12.

After 2 losses, 2 rounds of fertility testing, 2 laproscopies and a D&C,
7 cycles of Clomid, an HSG and a cycle of Injections we finally received our BFP on August 19th!

Our Miracle John Michael was born April 25th 2011 @ 4:36pm!

March 7th, 2011, 01:26 PM
brynnkelley04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I waited only so we could schedule a HSG after 2 failed IUI's. I had a BFN, the schedule my HSG, had the HSG 2 weeks later, and 2 weeks after that we started our 1st IVF cycle.

That was the only reason we waited 1 month.

Brynn 30,
Rich 41, Marcus 11, Gavin 8
~~IVF #4 using Donor Eggs=BFP
~~April 18th 1st U/S=TWINS! Baby A 128bpm Baby B 124bpm

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search