A bunch of questions

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect if we decide to go ahead with IVF. I have heard that you have to go on bc for a period of time, I've heard there are injections, I've heard a bunch of things, but nothing in any sort of detail or with any explanation. We are thinking we will do 2 more cycles of IUI and then go for IVF. I've been crying most of the day.

Second, has anyone bought/read Lisa Olson's ebook Pregnancy Miracle? The website looks like any other "this will solve all your problems, just give me your money" feel to it, so that's not much help. Every other "unbiased review" of the book from regular people seems endorsed to me, although maybe I'm just being unnecessarily negative. Basically I can't find a bad review of the book, the author offers a 2 month money-back guarantee and personalized sessions with her if you need help. It's not going to break the bank if I buy it, but I really would like to hear a real person's take on it first if at all possible.

I know that my presence here is sporadic, I lurk a lot...as I'm sure most of you would understand, I am just very sad about my ttc predicament and try not to think about it 24/7 if I can help it. I really appreciate any response though.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
March 7th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In short, some people do take BC pills so the doctor gets to take complete control over your ovaries. You shut down the hormones that fire up the ovaries to make eggs, so that the next month you control how much hormone "fires up" the ovaries, and which hormones should stay turned off.

Some people do BC, some people do an injection called Lupron starting on Day 21 of the cycle before IVF to shut down the ovaries. Other don't do this at all.

Starting at the beginning of the cycle, you start taking injections to "start up" the ovaries. However you are telling your ovaries to create more eggs than just the normal 1 egg. Instead of your body finding and growing the best 1, it grows and matures more than 1, hopefully around 10 or more.

You take these injections leading up to ovulation, just like your body would naturally do, pumping hormones into to your body to slowly grow eggs. Your body naturally does this starting at your period leading up to ovulation, but the injects are just doing it on a bigger scale, making more than normal.

A few other injects can be given. Some people take an injection that stops them from ovulating early, others don't take this because they fear it can slow the growth of the eggs in general.

Then you usually take a final injection to tell the eggs to prepare to release, and the next day the doc takes them out through a minor surgery, instead of the eggs being ovulated into your tubes.

You are done with the fertility injections, but now you start taking either injectible progesterone, or vaginal progesterone. Some docs prefer diff kinds

The doc takes the eggs and sperm, puts them in a dish, and hopes they fertilize. They watch them grow for a few days, and the standard rule is that embryo's that make it, meaning they keep growing, after 5 days, stand a good chance of implanting.

Then you put embryo's in the uterus. If you have any left over, you freeze these in case this cycle doesn't work.

Some of us have to do IVF over and over because we grow few eggs, or our eggs don't fertilize well, and we have none left over to freeze.

Honestly, my opinion-- SKIP the IUI's. Save that money for IVF. You only have around a 15% chance with IUI each month, and upwards of 40% with IVF. It's more expensive, but if you need IVF, those IUI are just a waste of money and time.

March 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM
THANK YOU!

That was very helpful.

So do people typically inject themselves, or do they go to the doctor for injections? If you inject yourself, is there a chance of messing it up? The thought of giving myself a needle kind of freaks me out, but you do what you need to I guess.

I was given vaginal progesterone by this doctor when I was pregnant with my daughter because of 2 prior miscarriages, so I'm assuming he'll do that again.

So they take the eggs right out of the ovaries? I didn't realize that. I'm assuming they go in vaginally to do this?

Thanks again for the quick and informative response. This is a road I didn't think I would ever have to take (pompous of me I suppose) and I'd prefer to arm myself with information prior to talking to the doctor about it.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
08/27/05:
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:

TTC #2:
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
March 7th, 2011, 04:59 PM
See, I think the same way that you do - that we should just go straight for IVF. I have not been able to convince my husband of this though - he feels that if we could get away with spending $250 instead of $12 000, that's better. I get where he's coming from, but we already have one failed IUI and I just don't have a lot of faith that it's going to work.

That said, we are taking our daughter to Disneyland for 2 weeks at the end of May, so this allows us 2 cycles of IUI prior to the vacation and then if I have to do a month of birth control then that will be the month of vacation and then we can do IVF when we get back. We have an 8 hour drive to the fertility clinic for the IVF, so we have to do a bit of planning around when we can go.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
08/27/05:
08/31/06:

TTC #2:
March 7th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most inject themselves or get a family member, but they offer a class to totally teach you how to do it. Many find the hormone needle to be fairly small and relatively painless. The progesterone shots are harder, but usually require someone to help you because they go in the "derriere"

They do vaginally and use a thin tiny needle to go into the ovary, guided by sonogram. It has a tiny tiny vacuum on the end that "sucks out" or more technically aspirates the eggs

Quote:
Egg retrieval procedure

* A needle is passed through the top of the vagina under ultrasound guidance to get to the ovary and follicles.
* The fluid in the follicles is aspirated through the needle and the eggs detach from the follicle wall and are sucked out of the ovary (see video above).
* The oocyte-cumulus complex is pulled from the follicle wall when we aspirate the fluid through the needle.
* The procedure usually takes about 10 minutes at our clinic
I also do alot of educational posts about stuff like Immune issues and infertility in my blog-- it's in my siggie. It also has a section about doctors and protocols

What meds are you using for IUI? How do you respond? What is your Day 3 lab levels?

March 7th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I ovulate on my own, but I ovulate late (sometimes as late as CD 23). My OB prescribed 50mg of clomid and we tried that for 7 months. When I got in to the fertility clinic, my doctor there was concerned that the OB had allowed me to stay on clomid for so long, so he did one cycle of IUI using 100 mg of clomid and then recommended that we take 3 cycles off to allow my lining to rebuild in case it had thinned from the clomid. This is the 3rd natural cycle.

On clomid I consistently ovulated on CD 17. This month I opted to try soy isoflavones (100 mg cd 3-7) and also ovulated on cd 17. I will discuss it with the doctor first, but from my own research I think I prefer to stick with they soy for the IUI cycles instead of the clomid. Clomid is the only med that the doctor had me on for IUI...are there others?

I don't remember what my day 3 lab results were, but I will ask when I call this week to set up the next IUI. I will definitely look at your blog!
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
08/27/05:
08/31/06:

TTC #2:
March 8th, 2011, 12:45 PM
ccartanddesign's Avatar With Faith
Femara is another medication like Clomid. That's what I take.
Me-38 DH-38. TTC #1 since August 2009
2/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection BFN
3/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection
4/2011 - not doing IUI - DH out of town
5/2011 - IUI with Femara and HCG trigger. In hospital due to infection from IUI.
Took a break from all meds this summer.
9/2011: - Start with new RE - testing begins.
10/2011: - Hysteroscopy - determine tubes are blocked.
10/2011 : - Laparoscopy - clip blocked tubes, determine right ovary is adhered to pelvic wall, cut adhesions
11/24/2011: IVF cycle #1 begins. Start stims.
12/2/2011: End stims. HCG trigger.
12/4/2011: Egg Retrieval. 9 eggs, only 1 embryo.
12/7/2011: Transfer.
12/20/2011: IVF #1 failed.
1/16/2012: IVF #2 first scan
"Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible." Matt. 19:26
March 9th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Lash, the link in your siggy is broken?
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
08/27/05:
08/31/06:

TTC #2:
March 10th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I never did BC or Lupron. I started on Suprefact for about 2 weeks before stimming. I then gave myself 2 injections every day (Gonal-F and another that I can't remember). I only stimmed for about 10 days before egg retrieval.

Every other day I had an u/s and b/w done to monitor my progress.

My egg retrieval was easy. I took a valium the night before and they gave me a muscle relaxer during the ER. I was not put under or anything.

I was on progesterone suppositories not the injection.

I experienced hot flashes galore on the Suprefact and bloating in the Gonal-F. I also developed a mild case of OHSS.

But really it wasn't bad at all. The worst part is the emotional roller coaster.
March 10th, 2011, 01:15 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did one cycle of IVF after many failed cycles of clomid, injectibles, and IUI's.

They had me on birth control for a week or so before starting stimms.

I had to give myself 2 shots a day of follistim in my stomach. I went to the dr 3 or so times a week for internal ultrasounds so they could monitor my progress.

Near the end I had to also do an injection of ganorelix to hold off ovulation and allow my follies to grow. About 36 hours prior to retrieval I had to stop ganorelix and give myself an injection of ovidrell to bring on ovulation. Both those shots were also in my stomach.

Then I had my retrieval. They put me to sleep and took my eggs out. They fertilizd them in the lab. Because I didn't have many eggs (only 5) they had to do a 2 day transfer (meaning they had me come in 2 days later to put the fertilized eggs back inside me). They were afraid that if they waited 5 days I would have no eggs that survived. I was sore for a day or so after retrieval.

The transfer was no worse than an IUI. I did lay around for 2 days after I had my transfer because I read stories of others who did that and got pregnant. After my transfer (I can't recall how many days after) I had to start progesterone in oil shots in my butt. I did get pregnant and had to continue those shots for the first 12 or so weeks of my pregnancy.

I had done IUI's with injectibles and I found my IVF cycle to be pretty similar, except for the retrieval part. The shots are really easy to give yourself and fairly painless because the needle is so small. For the shots in my butt I did ice the area first and that helped with the soreness I would get later.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search