Anyone know about SA result levels?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2011, 07:39 PM
hopingforbabymc's Avatar Finally Pregnant!
DH had his SA done last Friday and we are just now getting his results back today (almost a week later...sigh). She gave me the results, and said that she would reccomend that I see a RE (was my OB) because at this point, she says there is nothing she can do for me. DH has been on a diet for 2 months now, and has dropped 23lbs so far. He's also been taking supplements and this would be coming up on his 2nd full month of taking them. I told him that we'd just continue to shed the weight, excercise, and take the supplements. Later down the road (3-6 months from now depending on his progress) we can do another SA to see if he's improved at all.

Any input you guys might have would be great. I'm gonna jot down a list of the stuff he's currently been taking in case there's anything we're missing. He's willing to take/do anything.

Total count 9mil
Motile Density 7.4 mil
Morphology 1%
Viscosity was a 2?

She called me of course while we were out having dinner, and it was loud. I grabbed DH's iphone (had no pen) and jotted this down in his notepad. I'm going by the office tomorrow to see if I can get a copy of the results. Lemme know what you guys think.

Team BLUE!! Two precious boys born on October 28th, 2013.
Liam - 6lbs 7oz
Micah - 6lbs 10oz

Last edited by hopingforbabymc; March 11th, 2011 at 03:08 PM.
March 10th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok I'll post the medical stuff and then comment

Quote:
* Volume. This is a measure of how much semen is present in one ejaculation.
* Liquefaction time. Semen is a thick gel at the time of ejaculation and normally becomes liquid within 20 minutes after ejaculation. Liquefaction time is a measure of the time it takes for the semen to liquefy.
* Sperm count. This is a count of the number of sperm present per milliliter (mL) of semen in one ejaculation.
* Sperm morphology. This is a measure of the percentage of sperm that have a normal shape.
* Sperm motility. This is a measure of the percentage of sperm that can move forward normally. The number of sperm that show normal forward movement in a certain amount of semen can also be measured (motile density).
* pH. This is a measure of the acidity (low pH) or alkalinity (high pH) of the semen.
* White blood cell count. White blood cells are not normally present in semen.
* Fructose level. This is a measure of the amount of a sugar called fructose in the semen. The fructose provides energy for the sperm.
Quote:
Sperm concentration (also called sperm density) is measured in millions of sperm per milliliter (mL) of semen. Normal is 20 million or more sperm per mL, with a total of 80 million or more sperm in one ejaculation. Fewer sperm and/or a lower sperm concentration may impair fertility. Following a vasectomy, the goal is to have no sperm detected in the semen sample.
Over 20 Million is considered the cutoff. Under this number is when docs start to take a closer look. 9 million is low, but there are still plenty there, especially if using IVF. Men have fathered children with under 1 million.

Quote:
Motility is the percentage of moving sperm in a sample and an evaluation of their rate and direction of travel. At least 50% should be motile one hour after ejaculation, and they should be moving forward in a straight line with good speed. The progression of the sperm is rated on a basis from zero (no motion) to 4, with 3-4 representing good motility. If less than half of the sperm are motile, a stain is used to identify the percentage of dead sperm. This is called a sperm viability test.
For morphology, I've always been told over 40% is good, however I've read online that some standards don't count as normal until 60%. At 1%, this is going to be a real issue in getting pregnant without IVF intervention and ICSI

Viscosity is how well the sperm move, on a scale of 1-4. I understand either a score of 2 or 3 to be normal.

March 10th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Viscosity is like oil- the thicker the oil, the more viscous this is. Good for oil, bad for sperm. Thicker is bad, as sperm move slower, similar to cervical mucous that is not "slippery". It's too thick, and the agents can't move through the sticky fluid. Semen should liquefy, so if it's still thick after a period of time, they give it a number rating. 4 means it liquefies quickly, this is good.

Quote:
Usually after ejaculation the semen should liquefy again in about 30 minutes. This allows the sperm free motility. If the semen does not liquefy or if it is very thick in consistency even after liquefaction, this suggests an infection of the seminal vesicles and prostate.

March 10th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks so much for posting this, it gives me a better idea of what is what. I have been sitting at home by the phone waiting for her to call, I just wish I hadn't been out and had been able to write more down. I'm going to make an appointment for him to see a Urologist so maybe he can get stuff checked out. DH had always been a bit heavy, but has made some big changes this year and is continuing to do very well. I guess my worst fear is that there might be some kind of permanent damage done, but most that I have read is that male factor is and can be treatable.

I don't know. I guess we're both kinda bummed and confused, but we'll move forward and do as much as we can to get things better. Here's a list of things he's currently on...if you have any additions/subtractions, I'd be greatful.

500mg L-Arginine
100mg B6
Super B Complex with 400mcg of Folic Acid
50mg of Zinc
Fish Oil 1200mg/360mg Omega 3
Magnesium 200mg
Megamen Energy and Metabolism multi vitamin (he was taking a daily Geritol, but changed over to this recently)
1000 mg Vitamin C

I want to add Vitamin E and Selenium to this, but I'm trying to not overwhelm him so much with the vitamin regimine. Before this, dh wasn't a "supplement" person. But...he says if it'll help, to just order what he needs.

Liam - 6lbs 7oz
Micah - 6lbs 10oz
March 10th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Tell him those pills could save thousands of dollars. COULD save, that's not saying those can totally save the problem at hand, but I know that antioxidants have really worked miracles for plenty of women with male factor IF, so tell him that downing those pills can possibly help with thousands of dollars down the road

March 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Haha, I will. He's really been awesome about the supplements. I've been reading articles about the different things that can help to him and he's all for it and has never once complained. I guess it's mostly me that tries to shelter him from so much of this, I remember talking to my OB about his SA and telling her that he'd already taken on a lot by marrying me (haha) and being a great father to my son, I didn't want to overwhelm him just yet. But 2 years (almost) of no progress is and has been overwhelming and time is moving right on along. I am so very thankful for him and for places like this to go to, to get feedback.

Liam - 6lbs 7oz
Micah - 6lbs 10oz
March 11th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
HUGS!! I am sorry for your news...i just wanted to tell you our story to give you some hope! We were told..dh had .5% morphology..then our follow up showed 0% and dh took all kinds of vitamins..vit c,d,e fish oil, zinc..and at this point i dont remember all of them..but i was always making him take a new vitamin...when we went back it didnt help at all!! We tried ivf/icsi and it didnt work..they told us we had 1% chance of ever concieving without ivf..Well we did..on our own!! 6 months after the ivf failed..Im not saying this to tell you to just give up..im telling you there is hope! We thought we were at our wits end and nothing was ever going to work and low and behold..we are almost 24 weeks with our little girl! So dont lose hope and think that ivf is the only answer! Hun it does happen!! I sure hope the vitamins help your DH it doesnt hurt to try!! Good luck sweetie!! I sure hope you dont have to go through ivf!!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!

Last edited by Jessie0505; March 11th, 2011 at 08:08 AM.
March 11th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
The vitamins do help -- my DH's morphology went from 1% to 4% in 3 months. However all the rest of his numbers were against us and we had no hope of conceiving on our own ever -- IVF w/ICSI was our only hope.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
March 11th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
We battled male factor issues for years before conceiving our son in 2007, but we conceived naturally! Looking at those numbers, I believe they are giving you kruger strict morphology and normal is 4% and up....so 1% isn't as bad as it seems when you compare it to kruger strict, thats what most offices do now....regular morphology is 50%+ but a 1% kruger would be about 25% of a regular morphology level, 1% kruger is still pretty low but not impossible to conceive with.

The total count of 9 million is low but my dh was diagnosed with only 1.3 million on his first SA 5 years ago, 2nd one was 3.6 million, and 3rd one was 5.6 million, we conceived our son about 4 months after the 3rd one naturally when they told us we had a 1% chance.

Well now we're trying for # 2 and I've had my dh on so many different supplements and believe it or not, his SA was considered normal now! Wow, I was shocked, he now has 55 million count, 58% motility, and 3% kruger strict morph, which was slightly low, 4%+ is normal and they said the average fertile man does not usually exceed 10% kruger strict. His viscosity was slight now which means slightly thicker then it should be but we now have him on lots of water and robitussin around ovulation time to thin it out.

These are the supplements my dh is currently on and his SA has dramtically increased in 5 years:

L-Arginine (helps motility)
Acetyl-L Carnitine (helps motility and count)
Fish oil
Men one a day vitamin
Fertilaid for men (I get it on ebay for about $29 for a months supply)
Zinc
Super goat weed with maca (sometimes known as horny goat weed)

Also, if money isn't a huge issue, this is a great product that has brought much success to male factor problems, its $100 a month and was a little too expensive for us so we researched the active ingredients in it and had my dh take that for about $40 for 3 months, this is it www.proxeed.com , the active ingredients are acetyl l-carnitine and l-carnitine fumarate.

Remember it takes at least 3 months for sperm to show any improvement from any type of treatment so wait at least 3 months between SA's when starting something new. Its not impossible to happen on its own, keep the faith! I hope it happens for you soon.

Last edited by Joliving4Jesus; March 11th, 2011 at 10:51 AM.
March 11th, 2011, 11:10 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DH had a couple borderline low SA's, so I started him on arginine, zinc, and selenium in addition to his multi. I wanted to add carnitine, but it was pricey His numbers did improve for our last IUI, so I think the supplements do help.
March 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks so much for your responses. You guys have some great sucess stories and it gives me and DH lots of hope. I'm definately planning on picking up some Acetyl-L Carnitine and the Goat Weed with Maca, I started to order both last week but didn't. Our insurance doesn't cover infertility (just testing) so we're hoping to do as much as we can on our own till we can save up for further procedures.

Liam - 6lbs 7oz
Micah - 6lbs 10oz

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search