accupuncture and IVF/FET

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Veteran
does this really work? i feel like a lot of people have had success. i really don't know anything about it...what is it like? how often do you go? does your insurance cover it?

Cycles 1-12 all BFN's. Going straight to IVF per RE advice.

February 2011 IVF
2.24.2011. Retrieval 16 eggs! 15 were mature and 12 fertilized!
3.1.2011. Transferred 2 blasts!!
3.2.2011. 4 "beautiful" blasts on ice
3.11.2011. IVF #1 unsuccessful

5.20.2011. FET BFP!! 82
5.23.2011. 83
5.25.2011. 130
5.27.2011. 168 devastated
5.31.2011. 293 (saw sac on u/s)
6.3.2011. sac not growing m/c confirmed

9.2011. Planning another FET
March 14th, 2011, 05:55 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
There are girls on this board who have used it and had success...hopefully they will chime in.

I asked my RE about it, and he told me about this study. He used to work with the doctor that did the study and based on these results, he did not recommend it.

BioNews - Acupuncture may reduce the success of IVF

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 14th, 2011, 06:47 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started acupuncture at the start of my first IUI cycle. I went twice a week for a few weeks and then started going once a week. I did end up with a BFP on my second cycle, but I don't really know how much of that is because of the acupuncture.

That said, it's really relaxing. The needles usually don't hurt at all (every once in a while one does just for a few seconds when it goes in). Usually I take a nap If nothing else, it's good for stress relief.

My insurance does cover it with a yearly maximum, which is nice. With my insurance, I have a $20 copay per visit. Otherwise it would be $70 per visit.
March 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never tried it, but my cousin swore by it. She said it relaxed her and made the whole ttc w/ ma easier to handle. Not sure how often she went, but I do know she went straight from her IVF transfer to accupuncture. She got pregnant that cycle and had a healthy baby.

March 15th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did just acupuncture, no IVF. I started seeing changes in my cycles immediately and was prego within 3 months. My LP was lengthened and my O date was moved up to CD21. I was usually Oing on CD28 at the very earliest. I am a total believer in acupuncture. I don't know how much it would work for IVF if you're doing it just for that cycle and not for a couple cycles ahead of time. If you do decide to do acupuncture, I would make sure that the person you go to specializes in fertility and doesn't just treat fertility as one of their many things. Just about any acupuncturist will treat fertility, but I think it's better to have one who mainly does that and really knows what he/she is doing. If you can find out that's been trained by Dr. Randine Lewis, that would be ideal. You can look at Dr. Lewis' website to see if there is one in your area. I called and talked to a bunch of acupuncturists before finding one in my area that I liked and she just happened to have been trained by Dr. Lewis. Most good acupuncturists will do a quick free consult over the phone. You can use that to screen them and see if you like them or not.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

March 15th, 2011, 07:04 AM
The Wife's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to The Wife
My doctors told me that the laser acupuncture procedure done before and after transfer increases the success rate by 5%

Stop by, we'd love to have you!
--> www.BECAUSEOFMATCH.com

March 15th, 2011, 08:27 AM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My acupuncturist had ever high success rates with her IVF patients (somewhere around 60-65%). Unfortunately I didn't help her rates.

I went 4 times in my FET cycle. Once during week one and week two- these visits were 30 minutes long and were the electronic stim stuff- they hook you up to some sort of little electronic thing that puts a current through the needles. I think I had a few in my ankles, legs, and back. Then I had one session right before transfer (like 10 minutes before)- which was about 30 minutes long, and one for 25 minutes right after transfer- as soon as they got me back to the 'recovery' bay. Those were not electronic, and the needles were in different places (wrists, ears, etc.)
Although I am 100% sure it helps in some cases, but it didn't in mine so I can't say one way or another. I do know that if I do ever end up doing another FET, I will not be adding those extra appointments.

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search