14 1/2 weeks a bit early to find out a gender?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
A good friend of mine just announced that she is having a girl but she is only 14 1/2 weeks, I've never heard of anyone finding out this early, I was sooo convinced she was having a boy so I am shocked. Can you find out this early or is there still room for error this early?

March 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
I didnt think anywhere would let you find out for sure untill at the earliest 16 weeks.
I think they can take a guess - but it might not be very accurate - a bit earlier then that.

March 15th, 2011, 01:33 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
If she had an amnio it is completely possible. Otherwise I wouldn't be buying too much pink yet, it's still a little early to get a clear look.

March 15th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
She didn't have an amnio, just a black and white ultrasound, they do them as early as 14 weeks in this area but I just find it unlikely that its accurate that early.

March 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I certainly wouldn't be confident in the result of a 14-week ultrasound...there is definitely lots of room for error that early.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Angel_Maker
With all of my pregnancies, we found out the gender at 12.3 weeks

It was accurate with all the boys and with Aaliyah; HOWEVER, sometimes boys are mistaken for girls if the U/S is early, but we were told that Aaliyah was "most likely" a girl at 12.3 weeks, and they were right....we had it CONFIRMED right before 16 weeks
March 15th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
yes..my OB does an u/s at 13 weeks and they were totally accurate for me (a (girl) and my friend (a boy)..like Brandi said though sometimes boys can be mistaken for girls..however you do get a confirmation u/s at least at our office

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
March 15th, 2011, 05:01 PM
JulieC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't trust that its accurate until at least 16 weeks.
March 15th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I found out at 16 -- My SIL was 13! weeks when it was clearly shown to be a boy.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
March 15th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I am thinking its probably right but I think she is so excited she is going to run out and buy pink, I just want her to wait to make sure.

March 16th, 2011, 07:45 AM
The Wife's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to The Wife
my sister just had her 13 week NL scan and they doctor said she thinks it's a boy. I was reading that between 12-13weeks there is a nubbin' down there. And it can go either way. Most people will assume BOY b/c it stick out a little bit... but that's b/c the genitals may just be forming to be boy or girl.

My sister was excited with the news and I felt like Debbie Downer telling her this little tidbit of info. I know that some people have had success at that stage with the doctors getting it right, but it doesn't mean it's accurate. There is a 50-50 chance so yeah, some ppl will get it right! LOL.

Some people have used the intelligender to help them confirm or the chinese gender predictor... but what if you're having multiples?? My husband wants me to do the intelligender but with twins, um... he's being a bit naive.

Stop by, we'd love to have you!
--> www.BECAUSEOFMATCH.com

March 16th, 2011, 10:13 AM
WrightWife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My sister was told she was having a girl at 14.5 weeks with her last pregnancy and my neice is now almost 2. On the flip side, my friends sister was told all throughout her pregnancy she was having a boy (at every ultrasound) and Maggie Grace is a healthy little GIRL. They are never perfect, there is always room for error, but as long as she understands that there is nothing you can do. I am sure we would all be just as excited, although nervous, and want to buy for the gender as well.

March 16th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, we had u/s every other week for my whole pregnancy due to triplets. I found out very early as well. I think it was 14 weeks when I found out all 3 were boys and it was very obvious on the screen, but I had a high resolution ultrasound.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
March 16th, 2011, 03:28 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We found out with both kids at exactly 15 weeks.

now I had always thought it was opposite that GIRLS could be mistaken for BOYS...because a lot of little girl parts are still protruding and can be mistaken for a boy...thats why they have the "angle theory" because early on little boys and girls look identical except that little girl nubs tend to run parallel with the spine and little boy nubs often point up at an angle (this is all before 15 weeks..usually around 10-13 weeks)

March 16th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
we learned at 14 weeks with wyatt, 13 weeks with cody, later with garrett, and 13 weeks with baby joslyn (after we did the intelligender at 10-ish weeks and it said girl). with her, we confirmed it at 15 weeks and 20 weeks and one other time.

~~terre~~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search