my RE's take on progesterone

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Super Mommy
so, i was concerned that he did not prescribe progesterone after the IUI and asked him today exactly why - he said they only usually give to women using injectables, and, being tha ti used femara, i should have plenty of progesterone; something w injectables lessens the progesterone levels or something

anyway, i had my blood drawn this am to check levels and to make sure i ovulated; knowing my luck, i took the trigger and still didnt ovulate!

hoping my levels are good

Married May 2010
TTC since August 2010, almost a year
IUI in December 2010 - BFP - chemical
IUI on 3/13/11 - BFN
April natural cycle - BFP on 4/22 - chemical confirmed 4/28
IUI done on 5/12 - BFN

IUI #4 done 6/6 - BFN
so sick of getting BFNs

total of 4 failed IUIs
IVF in July

using acupuncture 1x week, Royal Jelly, pre natals, organic Spirulina, Maca Root and Red Raspberry tea
March 18th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm thinking that progesterone must really be decided on a case-by-case basis because my doctor only gives me progesterone if I get pregnant - he prescribes it as soon as I call in with a bfp because I had 2 early miscarriages. My friend who has the same doctor gets it as soon as she has her IUI, and I know some other women don't get it at all. They also prescribe progesterone to make AF come for women who have crazy long cycles, so it must do different things for us at different times in our cycles.

When do you get your levels back?
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
March 18th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I respectfully disagree with him. There are plenty of us that not only struggle to ovulate, but our hormones also don't play nice together. We ovulate on meds, but progesterone just never rises like it should. There is no reason NOT to give progesterone supplementation, it hurts nothing to try it. I have to fully disagree with his take on it. I need it on natural cycles, on clomid cycles, on any cycles. It just will not rise on it's own and I can tell you countless women with the same story.

March 18th, 2011, 01:08 PM
ccartanddesign's Avatar With Faith
After each IUI my dr. has given me a progesterone injection and this time she prescribed progesterone pills to start 4 days after the IUI. Prometrium I think.

I think its to help my lining thicken to be perfect for implantation which WILL happen for me this cycle!

FYI ON my CD14 ultrasound my lining was 7.5 which is on the lower level of acceptable. Hopefully it has thickened significantly since then.

And I took an injectable HCG trigger this cycle.
Me-38 DH-38. TTC #1 since August 2009
2/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection BFN
3/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection
4/2011 - not doing IUI - DH out of town
5/2011 - IUI with Femara and HCG trigger. In hospital due to infection from IUI.
Took a break from all meds this summer.
9/2011: - Start with new RE - testing begins.
10/2011: - Hysteroscopy - determine tubes are blocked.
10/2011 : - Laparoscopy - clip blocked tubes, determine right ovary is adhered to pelvic wall, cut adhesions
11/24/2011: IVF cycle #1 begins. Start stims.
12/2/2011: End stims. HCG trigger.
12/4/2011: Egg Retrieval. 9 eggs, only 1 embryo.
12/7/2011: Transfer.
12/20/2011: IVF #1 failed.
1/16/2012: IVF #2 first scan
"Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible." Matt. 19:26
March 18th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Super Mommy
well my progesterone level was 27 - i cant believe it

and the reason also for not giving me progesterone is that it is still a hormone and can screw up cycles; i took vaginal supps months ago and it really screwed w my period coming

Married May 2010
TTC since August 2010, almost a year
IUI in December 2010 - BFP - chemical
IUI on 3/13/11 - BFN
April natural cycle - BFP on 4/22 - chemical confirmed 4/28
IUI done on 5/12 - BFN

IUI #4 done 6/6 - BFN
so sick of getting BFNs

total of 4 failed IUIs
IVF in July

using acupuncture 1x week, Royal Jelly, pre natals, organic Spirulina, Maca Root and Red Raspberry tea
March 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM
ccartanddesign's Avatar With Faith
27 is a great number! You ovulated!
Me-38 DH-38. TTC #1 since August 2009
2/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection BFN
3/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection
4/2011 - not doing IUI - DH out of town
5/2011 - IUI with Femara and HCG trigger. In hospital due to infection from IUI.
Took a break from all meds this summer.
9/2011: - Start with new RE - testing begins.
10/2011: - Hysteroscopy - determine tubes are blocked.
10/2011 : - Laparoscopy - clip blocked tubes, determine right ovary is adhered to pelvic wall, cut adhesions
11/24/2011: IVF cycle #1 begins. Start stims.
12/2/2011: End stims. HCG trigger.
12/4/2011: Egg Retrieval. 9 eggs, only 1 embryo.
12/7/2011: Transfer.
12/20/2011: IVF #1 failed.
1/16/2012: IVF #2 first scan
"Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible." Matt. 19:26
March 18th, 2011, 01:55 PM
AllisonC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
I respectfully disagree with him. There are plenty of us that not only struggle to ovulate, but our hormones also don't play nice together. We ovulate on meds, but progesterone just never rises like it should. There is no reason NOT to give progesterone supplementation, it hurts nothing to try it. I have to fully disagree with his take on it. I need it on natural cycles, on clomid cycles, on any cycles. It just will not rise on it's own and I can tell you countless women with the same story.

Congrats on O'ing! 27 is a great number!
March 18th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Quote:
Ditto!!!!

It seems I make enough pogets to get me to 17dpo but pregnant or not it tanks then. This time around my RE put me on it right after O.

made by BAM

March 18th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Another ditto! My Ob has me take it til af starts. Yes my period is late and annoying as all, but it is supposedto help build up your lining also. And my levels are still kinda lower IMO (Ob says ok - she wants 10 but I know most vary between 10-15. My last one was 14). Plus, most studies suggest progesterone if needed needs to start asap after o otherwise it's not as effective. I know for me, if I wait til a bfp to start progesterone the pg is already doomed, at least that's been the case so far. Im on femera cd 3-7 so I doubt the reason is the femera.
March 19th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I agree, all the studies say that it must be started after O, and waiting until pregnancy confirmation is too late

March 21st, 2011, 07:33 AM
The Wife's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to The Wife
I started progesterone WEEKS BEFORE a transfer b/c I have low progesterone EVERY cycle.

Supposedly if you find out you have low progesterone after a BFP it's 'too late' to start supplements. However, I have a friend who didn't realize she was pregnant, but was spotting for 3 days and then figured out that she was miscarrying.

She went to the doctors and they put her on 3 forms of progesterone, Pill, Shot and suppository. She then went on to have a healthy baby.

You never know. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'm almost 10 weeks and still on the suppositories, it's not supposed to hurt, so that's why they are keeping me on it until I complete 10 weeks.

By now the placenta should've taken over in the progesterone dept.

Stop by, we'd love to have you!
--> www.BECAUSEOFMATCH.com

March 21st, 2011, 08:59 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Quote:
and yet another

I liked my RE's explanation. If you don't need it it's like spitting in the ocean. But if you do, it can mean everything.

March 22nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
After 5 miscarriages, you will ask for it from every single RE you ever meet, no matter how fast they dismiss it. I'd leave an RE over that. and have I honestly would. If he wont' give me a harmless medication that could potentially save me from miscarrying, he's literally not worth one single ounce of my time. It's ridiculous to imagine an RE that won't give progesterone to women who are TTC and struggling with infertility.

You'll also find if you continue down this road for long that you won't get too emotionally tied to any RE, especially if they aren't willing to hear you on protocols and are dismissive. I am their client and I will be heard. If they won't hear me, my money can talk elsewhere. You learn they are not gods, they are wrong, and that infertility is a business, one that is not regulated or watched by any real agency with any real mandates or protocols on how to treat patients. Any doctor can really try anything or dismiss anything they don't want to do purely because it might mess up their stats. They can refuse you service, refuse an approach, and not because it is bad for you, but because it's bad for them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search