What the Doc's don't tell you about IVF or IUI

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think we've all had experiences along the way that have been enlightening to say the least, whether through IUI or IVF. I've had a few that were eye opening, despite my almost 5 years on these forums.

Feel free to add to the list, and maybe we can even sticky this.

I'll start with the very one that will haunt my dreams for the rest of my life and almost convinced me that birth is out of the question for me.

1. You will get constipated beyond your wildest imagination after egg retrieval. You will think you are going to die, and you will wish for death. And you'll fret over the silliest things, as if you can really push out an embryo. And you'll worry anyways, even though you know it's not logical.

2. Organize your meds, and prep them nightly. After you take your shots/meds, prep your meds for the next day, in case you have to take them hurriedly or if you have to run out of town.

3. Give your RE your cell phone, house phone, work phone, husband's phone. You absolutely want to give complete access to your medical team to report back on tests and medication changes

4. If you have a doc that wants you to remain lying down after embryo transfer for more than 30 mins, go ahead and ask for the bed pan. Or you'll possibly pee all over the table. Don't worry about keeping any dignity at this point

5) Spotting:

IVFers SPOT. You should probably expect to spot. A normal IVF pregnancy will spot. Your endometrium should be fairly thick from all the estrogen, and given that this is a good thing for implantation, it means you'll probably get some spotting. You will get poked, examined, and have various instruments shoved in that general area. You'll probably spot a bit.

July 12th, 2011, 10:20 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
1. Piggybacking on what Lauren said...the embryo transfer was absolutely awful for me. My bladder was BEYOND full, the nurse was pushing on my belly w/ the ultrasound thingy, DH is holding my hand, and the RE and embryologist are down there doing their thing. First, the RE gets the catheter in. Only when he is in does the embryologist prep the embryos. They put the embryos in. Then the embryologist looks in the tubing, etc. to make sure the embryos are actually in my uterus and not the instruments. This process takes FOREVER when you are deathly afraid of peeing on someone.

2. Write EVERYTHING down. Write down everything the RE says, write down when you take your meds and the dose, write down any questions you have, and write down your thoughts, feelings, and symptoms. Your head will be fuzzy from stress and hormones, and you need to have this info available at all times. This is NOT the time to be scatterbrained!

3. DVR lots of stuff to watch before bedrest.

4. Cook ahead! I made all kinds of casseroles, pot pies, soups, etc. ahead of time and froze them. We had to drive 2 hrs. each way for every RE appointment, so there were many days that I just did not feel like cooking a healthy meal. Having things frozen ahead helped relieve stress and made sure that DH and I were taking care of ourselves and our bodies during this stressful time.

5. Be prepared (and make sure DH is prepared) for "pelvic rest." My RE told us not to BD starting about the 5th day of stims, and it stayed that way until I was 10 weeks pregnant. I know it is not like this for everyone...I had a rocky first trimester...but it would have been good for DH to know that he might have to do without for a while

6. Buy cute Band-Aids. Seriously, so much about injecting yourself sucks, and at least if I could put on a Barbie, Curious George, Snoopy, or Bob the Builder Band-Aid, it made me smile for a second

7. If you don't have a little soft-sided insulated lunch tote, get one. At some point, you'll likely have to tote your meds around, and this is the easiest and least embarrassing way to do it.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

July 12th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Two things I will not miss, and that make me hope it works the first time- full bladder during embryo transfer for 4 HOURS, and the constipation. Those two things alone made me ready to never do this again!

July 13th, 2011, 08:37 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I've been trying to think of something on the IUI/Injectable

Best I can come up with- if your DH is giving you the shots- DO NOT LET HIM LAUGH DURING THEM! First time he gave me a shot is was like a Lucy episode, him laughing me crying because he was freaking me out.

After the IUI, if your SO/DH is not there, make sure you have a book, magazine, phone or something. It's only around 15 minutes you have to lay there, but it really drags if you are alone staring at the ceiling. Especially since you most likely are all ready anxious.

July 13th, 2011, 11:09 AM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also dont have much to add since we've only done IUI's but the things you and Melissa mentioned are very nice to know! I hope everyone keeps adding!

*It is very normal to spot after an IUI, I have never spotted any other time than right before my period so it really freaked me out that I spotted for a couple days after the IUI.

*You are not going to "pee" the spermies out. I was soooooooooooo scared to go pee after my IUI's because I was so certain that everything in there was going to fall out. Hahaha.

*Ovidrel (trigger shot) NOT BAD in the slightest bit. Dont be worried or scared about this one.
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

July 13th, 2011, 11:40 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I am constipated now, and I am still only on my Lupron and stims. It SUCKS. I cano only imagine it getting worse.

Only in my personal experience so far:

1. Expect some mood changes. You are on tons of hormones and going through a big thing. It is normal to feel slightly crazy.

2. Definately agree with Lauren, prep your meds the night before. I found that this helps me while I am half asleep in the morning trying to give myself a shot.

3. Have some type of support system. Whether it be your SO/DH or whatever. It is nice to talk to someone about your fears.

4. Relax! Pamper yourself if needed. I might have my hubby give me a neck rub when he gets home.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
July 13th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Mmm here is a big one

Crinone, or vaginal gel for progesterone, will not absorb in the body and blood stream like injections will so do not freak out if your P4 numbers come back a little low. It's normal. They can't test vaginal levels of progesterone, but this is the only place that it counts, so not showing up in your blood stream doesn't matter in the end as long as it makes it where it needs to be.

July 14th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Based on injectables and IUI experience:

1. Progesterone suppositories can give you pregnancy symptoms, as well as UTI and yeast infection. They also tend to melt really fast, so you need to lay down as soon you put one in for best effect.
2. It's important to keep up with your cycle and be very organized, as your doctor might not remember much from one visit to another(especially if they are months apart) and you need to keep reminding them of what has worked or not in the past.
3. Do lots of research and keep on top of things. Sometimes you need to convince the RE to try something different based on what you've read or heard of others' experiences.
4. Needing to BD or collect a sample at a certain time during the cycle can put lots of pressure on DH/SO. I know my DH prefers not to even know what's going on and then things work better. Of course if you need to collect a sample for an IUI, he has to know in advance. LOL
5. Don't be afraid to administer the shots yourself. I was freaked out at first and DH did them for me in the past, but now I am doing them myself and that also helps in not stressing out DH as much.
6. Definitely have at least one person you can confide with (preferably someone who's gone through infertility treatments as well) to talk about details and daily struggles.

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search