Tell me about Triggers, Please?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2011, 03:48 PM
carolinagirl05's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies. I'm primarily a lurker in TTCMA, although that is definitely where I belong. I was hoping any of you who have used a trigger injection along with clomid, or femara, could tell me how it worked for you. I'm on my 5th cycle of clomid- and am probably getting ready to start AF. I had a loss in April, and my OB started me on clomid in June. This past cycle I got a positive OPK on cd13, and my temps seemed to point towards O. I also had an ultrasound on cd14, and my nurse checked my cervical fluid and it looked fertile (ferning). But now I'm 21 days past my supposed ovulation and haven't gotten AF, and haven't gotten a BFP. So we're thinking I O'ed later than we thought- especially since they checked my progesterone on cd22- which would have been 8dpo- and it was super low, like I'd just O'd. Anyways- they agreed to doing a trigger injection on the next cycle so we'd be able to pinpoint O better. This is the second cycle in a row where I've gotten a positive OPK, then apparently O'ed later. Any advice you ladies have is GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks KimberlyD0 and Claire1979 for my LOVELY siggies!
December 5th, 2011, 04:33 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Trigger shots are pretty awesome...they can definitely help you time things right so you can catch that egg! The shot itself is given with a pretty small needle, and most are just sub-cutaneous...no big long needle in the rear Mine were self-administered in my belly, and I didn't really feel anything.

The trigger shot itself is HCG...the hormone your body makes when you are pregnant, so there are usually side effects similar to when you are pregnant. You might feel nausea, headaches, fatigue, sore breasts, etc. while you wait for the shot to wear off.

Testing can be tricky after a trigger shot...you'll get a BFP for several days after the shot. The general rule of thumb is that it takes 24 hours for every 1,000 units of HCG to leave the body, so the typical trigger is gone after 10 days. Some people metabolize the HCG faster, and some slower, so around here we recommend testing out the trigger. You will watch the tests get lighter and lighter while the HCG leaves your body until you get a BFN...then you just wait for that BFP to show up again

Hope that helps!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 5th, 2011, 04:37 PM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
Melissa covered it pretty well, though the trigger type depends on your doctor. I've always had to do the trigger in the butt, it doesn't really hurt, just is annoying.

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

December 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Luvgreen19's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine was also in my stomach, and was pretty painless. I went in 24 hours later and had my IUI. When I went through all of this I was pretty innocent and knew nothing about testing out the trigger etc, so I didn't POAS until after my blood work confirming pregnancy, so I am not much help there.
Round 2- 2013
Two failed Clomid cycles in May-June of 2013 followed by35 days of Follistim at gradually building levels + trigger+IUI= in August 2013!
It's a boy! DS#2 due April 28th, 2014!
Born via planned C-section April 22nd,2014 due to being breech

December 6th, 2011, 05:52 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
My trigger shots have also been in my butt. No pain no worries. Like Melissa said it is a big ol dose of pregnancy hormone. I didn't have any side effects except for super emotional and weepy for about 48 hours after the shot. In fact, I was so emotional and stuff I was on here asking the ladies if I was really crazy or was it the shot. LOL

The trigger will force you to O when the dr feels your eggs are ready. Then you can time everything better. When you O on your own, it is hard to tell even when you get a positve opk. The trigger shot will force it even if your body wants to wait a few more days.

Good Luck - don't be afraid of the shot. It's easy! Just emotional if you are like me.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
December 6th, 2011, 04:00 PM
carolinagirl05's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the info. AF showed this morning, so it looks like we'll probably be doing the trigger this month. The only thing that might hold it up is that the infertility coordinator at my OB's office will be out of town from Dec 24-Jan1st so if I O during that time frame there will be no monitoring and probably no trigger shot. This past cycle I got the positive OPK on cd14, but obviously didn't O until probably cd22. I've been ovulating primarily around cd 18-21 no matter what the dosage of the clomid has been. This past cycle was 100mg cd3-9. I'm sure thats what we'll do this cycle too.

Thanks KimberlyD0 and Claire1979 for my LOVELY siggies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search