New to all of this and would love some advice!

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2011, 11:11 AM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies!!

I am Samantha (24) and Dh is Daniel (26). We are currently about to start TTC our first. I have been off bcp for almost five months. I've been charting and have figured out that I am anovulatory. I went into two different obgyns. Both have recommended I go the Progesterone/clomid route to induce af and finally ovulation. If I don't have a successful pg within six months, they want to do further testing. I have done blood work and that all came back fine. So hopefully the clomid thing will work on the first try.

Anyway, my question for any of you is this: I chart my bbt and I am currently on day 3 of the progesterone today. Well I noticed a temp spike this morning. There was nothing done out of the ordinary to affect my temp, so I know it is accurate. I know this doesn't mean there is a guarantee that I O'ed yesterday, but now I am confused. Should I keep taking the progesterone even if my body did finally O on its own, and then just expect the withdrawal af after I take the progesterone and then continue with the plan to take clomid? Or should I just wait and see if my temps stay high on their own and let my body work it's way to Oing on its own?

I would call by obgyn but it's Sunday so I thought I would come here first for some insight.

TIA!!

Thanks to *Sharon* for my awesome siggy! My pregnancy blog

December 18th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Jenn in DC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Samantha. I'm Jenn. Welcome to the board. I have found that progesterone tends to raise my temps so you may just being seeing the effect of the progesterone. However, I might be wrong about this so I'll let others chime in.

I hope that the clomid/progesterone protocol works for you!
Started TTC #1 July 2009
Three IUIs - BFNs
IVF - Cycle Cancelled
Three Rounds of Mini-IVF = 5 frozen embryos
July 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP and then miscarriage
November 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!! Aven Born on August 4, 2012

July 2014 - Got Pregnant Naturally with Twins! Miscarriage at 9 weeks.
November 2014 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!

December 18th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks, Jenn! I was actually wondering if that could be the case. It would make sense especially since I wasn't seeing any other fertile signs (like ewcm or anything) that would indicate O other than the temp raise. Makes sense.

Thanks for your help!

December 18th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Erin84's Avatar POAS Queen
I agree with Jenn. Progesterone makes you "run hot" by a little bit. You probably already know this, but just to connect it all together, the follicle that ruptures in a normal ovulatory cycle then becomes the corpus luteum, which controls the progesterone. This introduction of progesterone is what causes the post-O temp rise. So naturally you would see it from the supplement as well. Once I start progesterone I quit temping because I know what's going to happen.

I hope the Clomid works for you. I started being seen by a reproductive endocrinologist at the beginning of this month and am on Clomid (as well as estrogen before the Clomid, a trigger shot, progesterone after the Clomid, and had a couple ultrasounds of my ovaries pre-O). A girlfriend is getting her Clomid, etc., done by her OBGYN, except the OB is doing nothing else. Both she and I think I'm getting better care, so she will be starting with an RE in January. More isn't always better, but I feel safer with more, and she wishes she had more, so really it's up to you If you're planning on sticking with your OB for fertility treatment, please make sure you're getting your money's worth.

With us on earth for five short days, with us in our hearts forever.
(Thank you Natasha for this beautiful graphic of Andrew, and to the ladies of the Nov 10 PR who help me in carrying on his memory.)

Jan. 2009: Came off years of BCP and started TTC
March 2010: BFP -- finally!
Oct. 22, 2010: Drew is born, but has to stay in the NICU because of cord complications resulting in oxygen deprivation and brain problems =(
Oct. 27, 2010: I held him in my arms while Daddy, Grandma, Great-Uncle and I sang him to sleep =( Hardest thing I've ever done...
June 14, 2011: Drew's baby brother or sister waved hi to us with a BFP!
June 25, 2011: Natural miscarriage... Can we please catch a break here?
Nov. 2011: 100mg Clomid followed by 2mg Estrogen, Ovidrel trigger, and 200mg progesterone suppositories 2x/day 14 days. BFN.
Dec. 2011: 2nd medicated cycle. BFN.
Jan. 2012: Took a month off to breathe...
Feb. 2012: Same regimen of Clomid and other meds, add IUI. 2 eggs and 8.5 million swimmers. BFN.
March 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-11, follie scan CD 8 showed 6 follies likely to mature. Triggered, IUI on CD 14, 4 million swimmers. BFN.
April 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-10. Scan showed 2 mature follies, 2 almost certain to mature, and two not likely but possible. (All 6 evenly and perfectly spaced out between the left and the right.) Triggered, IUI CD 13 with 5 million swimmers. BFN.
May 2012: 75 IU Follistim starting CD 3. Waiting to O. Timed intercourse. Likely 5 follies to mature.

^^ Click graphic for chart ^^

December 18th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks, Erin! That definitely makes a lot of sense. I'll probably just wait and see what happens this cycle.

My Dh and I have been only ntnp since I went off bcp (technically we were "waiting") but not really preventing at all, but I was anovulatory. I guess I'll probably do this for my current cycle since I've already started and just see what happens, but if nothing happens after a cycle or two, I'll def look into seeing an RE. I'm just frustrated that my OB took the clomid route before he'll even consider doing any U/S or anything. Oh well, guess we'll just see what happens! We are still in the early stages of ttc right now, so I am not in too big of a rush just yet.

Thanks again for your help

December 18th, 2011, 01:04 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I would be hesitant to jump into Clomid this soon. Since you aren't even 5 months out after stopping BCP, your body may just need more time to regulate itself.

Clomid is great for some women and can really work wonders for them. For me, it did more harm than good. I did ovulate, but the Clomid thinned my uterine lining to the point that pregnancy would not even be possible. I only know this because I was having ultrasounds done throughout my cycle to see how the Clomid was affecting me. If your doc just gave you the Rx and told you to come back in 6 months, you have no clue if the drug is helping you, harming you, or some of both.

My advice is always to not take fertility drugs without proper monitoring. Even better would be to determine the cause of your annovulation so you know if there other issues that need to be corrected. And to come full circle, you might not have any issues at all...just a body that needs more time to adjust after BCP.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 18th, 2011, 04:27 PM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
I have to agree with Melissa's advice. I'd be very hesitant to take more medications without further testing and monitoring.

My Blog
Me: 27, PCOS, ENDO, RPL, severe vitamin D defficiency
Him: 36, severe MFI post VR but counts climbing

2006-2015 7+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body.
We are done actively TTC.
Moving forward with NTNP until we can do IVF in 2017

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search