Introduction

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2011, 05:28 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Hi everyone.
I've been hanging out mostly on the main TTC board but DH and I have been trying to conceive our first now for over a year and a half and decided to move ahead and visit the fertility clinic, so I thought I would introduce myself here.
I got pregnant back in June 2010 but had an early loss in August. It was our first cycle NTNP and I got pregnant right away! But ever since the m/c we haven't had any luck. My progesterone has been checked and was low so I went on Clomid for 3 cycles. I then requested a SA to be done which came back showing DH had a very elevated white blood cell count. He was put on antibiotics and it dropped back into the normal range. That was about 3 months ago.

So here we are; our appointment with the RE is Thursday the 29th. I am so ready to move ahead that the 29th can't come soon enough! With my obgyn I always felt like it was up to me to come up with what I wanted to try next. He is wonderful and I like his manner and personality a lot, but it seems like he just isn't motivated enough or something..

Anyways, I am looking forward to getting to know you ladies!

Nina

December 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Welcome! I'm Melissa (30), and DH (32) and I have been labeled as "unexplained infertility." We have a 17-month-old conceived on our first IVF cycle. We're preparing for a frozen embryo transfer in January.

You described the same thing a lot of us had with our OB/GYNs...they really aren't that motivated to make things happen. They are used to dealing with pregnant women all the time, so they don't have the tools or sensitivity to know how to handle us. When I switched to an RE, it was like night and day...I hope that you have the same experience.

Have you already had your medical records sent to the RE? It usually helps them if they have a background to go on...the first appointment is usually a lot of chatting about your history and goals. Some REs also do basic bloodwork and an u/s, but it depends on where you are in your cycle.

Good luck on the 29th...I hope you like the doc and have a solid plan so you can ring in 2013 with a little one

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 20th, 2011, 06:02 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello. I'm pretty new to the board to, so I'm about at the same stage. After a year of trying, I have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility too. Luckily, DH's numbers are good. We had one failed IUI, but I felt rushed into that and, thanks to the insight of the ladies here, have realized that there was a lack of thoroughness by my RE. He's now retired (and clearly checked out earlier) so we'll be starting over again in January with a new doctor for a reevaluation and hopefully more tests to at least rule out.

If it's something that I learned too slowly: ask, ask, ask, ask, demand at your appointment. And I wish I had read up more beforehand simple -- and obvious to most people, except me -- statements like: "If your RE doesn't feel like the right fit for you, find another. Really, his/her feelings won't be hurt." I have since read just that phrase and will be doing just that. But hopefully you won't need to heed that.

Good luck to you both!
December 20th, 2011, 07:08 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Hi Nina - I am glad you came to this board. I am so glad you are going to an RE now who will hopefully have lots of answers for you.
I had the same scenario. I didn’t love my first RE and couldn't decide it was just me or what. These ladies helped me realize that there is nothing wrong with switching and getting different opinions. Well I did just that and this RE is much better. He has checked everything possible. The only thing left is lapo which we are holding off on for a couple of months to first see if a few rounds of medicated IUI work. The first RE just left stones unturned you know? Also was rushing me right into IVF with donor egg and lapo before even doing a HSG on me.
Sorry I went off a little....
Anyways - Welcome to this board. It doesn't get as much action as the TTC board, but I'll tell you it's much more beneficial. Well for me it has been! I hope it is for you too!. We need all the support we can get through this process.
Oh yeah - even though there are a lot of ladies trying with no success here, there are a lot that have success too! It is super helpful to see the success stories here. I hope we are hearing your success story soon.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
December 20th, 2011, 07:28 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
Welcome to the board. I hope yout stay here is short and you get your BFP soon.

I'm Jennifer(24) married to Jeremy(33) and we are TTC #1 with PCOS, Endometriosis, severe MFI, and now a diagnosis of RPL. We're hoping to return to MA sometime in Spring 2012 for another IUI with DS cycle.

My Blog
2006-2014 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2016

December 20th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Thank you so much for the warm welcome!!

Jennifer, I am so sorry to hear how difficult this journey has been for you! It must be heartbreaking to go through so much. What does MFI and RPL stand for?

Gretchen, I am glad to be here now and am excited to learn about things new to me! I can't wait to share my first RE visit with you! Hopefully I will love him right away and won't feel a need to switch.

Mistletoe, good luck with your new RE in January!! How disrespectful and selfish of your previous RE to "check out" like that. I can see being burnt out but you still deserve to get the service you are paying for!

Melissa, good luck with the embryo transfer. Do you have an exact date set yet?
I hope to see a night and day difference from my obgyn to the RE. It makes sense that seeing so many pregnant women on a daily basis leaves obgyns incapable of being sensitive to women who are having a harder time conceiving. I never thought about it like that..
I can't wait to hear how the embryo transfer goes and I have my fingers crossed!

December 20th, 2011, 05:42 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Thanks, Nina. My FET is January 20...one month from today

I went to an OB/GYN at first, and he convinced me that he knew enough about fertility to help me. Ha! I wish I had known more then or I wouldn't have believed him. He'd made jokes like "Well, I don't know what is wrong with you. Maybe you and your DH should get drunk and have sex in the backseat of your car. It works for teenagers." If that wasn't enough, his nurse would see me walk in the door for an appointment and shriek "oh, Melissa! Are you pregnant yet?" My answer was always no, which was depressing enough, but then I had a room full of pregnant women giving my pitying looks, which made me want to run out the door.

Anyhow...I'm excited for your appointment! I know when I went to my RE for the first time I almost felt like I was on day 1 of TTC again because I was so hopeful and excited

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 21st, 2011, 12:01 PM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
Mfi is Male Factor Infertility, and RPL is Recurrent Pregnancy Loss(aka multiple miscarriages)

We have really lucked out on our journey, right as everything was getting confusing and we were getting to need help, a new doctor transferred to our location and was my surgeon for my first lap(which was an emergency situation). He'd spent the two years previous studying reproductive medicine and after the two years at our base moved onto one of the military hospitals that offers IVF and is now an RE there. When we were ready to move on to MA again earlier this year, a new doctor had joined our clinic 6 months prior that specializes in our issues. I've heard horror stories of bad doctors and have luckily never had one as my primary RE(though my current RE's partner is a nightmare).

I hope your appt comes quickly for you and you get some answers!

My Blog
2006-2014 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2016

December 21st, 2011, 02:11 PM
MandyEllen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome, Nina!
I'm Mandy (32) & DH is Matty (36). We have had 3 failed IUIs and we're moving on to IVF this cycle.
These girls are the best here. Filled with information, knowledge & support. Sometimes throughout this infertility process the ladies on this board can get you through anything! It's priceless.
Be sure to update us after your RE appointment. I agree with Jen to make sure you get all of your records to the RE before and make sure to take lots of notes because the first appointment can be overwhelming, but it feels so good to finally move toward having a baby!
7/12/13 - 16 dpo beta=825
7/19/13 - 23 dpo beta=18,870
7/26/13 - 30 dpo beta=72,091

December 22nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Thank you so much Mandy! I didn't consider taking notes yet but it's a great idea! I've been working on getting the records transferred, which has once again proven to be much more difficult than need be. I signed the release at my obgyn for my forms but DH's urologist won't let me sign off on his and DH can't ever make it there in time since he works past 5. So we had them mail the forms which got here today, actually. I will take the signed forms to their office Tuesday to pick up the SA results which I will then take to the RE with us on Thursday. Phew!!

Jen, that does sound like a stroke of luck that you had! A good doctor makes everything so much easier!!

Michelle, that is pretty darn unprofessional! lol. I can't believe he would say something like that to you!! I am already to giddy and excited to be going on Thursday; it's going to be a long week! lol. I will update you ladies for sure; thank you all so much for being so welcoming!

December 22nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Nina. I'm Rebecca (33) and my husband is Peter (33), and I'm verrry new, both to this forum and to TTCMA. We've been trying to conceive for two years, and after an ectopic pregnancy and emergency laparatomy in June, I was diagnosed with "moderately-severe" endometriosis and told that IVF is the only safe way for us to conceive. Up to the point of my ectopic I was under the care of an OB/GYN who I felt never really listened to me or tried to figure out the reason we couldn't conceive. She wouldn't do an investigative laparoscopy to check out my ovarian cyst (which was large, complex, persisted for more than 6 months, and, as we found out with the surgery, was not a cyst at all but rather an endometrioma), wouldn't refer me to an RE even after we'd spent 16 months TTC without success, and just kept telling me to keep losing weight and I'd get pregnant. I can't believe I put up with that for so long, and I'm SO glad that you're working with an RE now who can direct your treatment! I know it can feel so busy and overwhelming at first as you try to get records transferred, all the tests done, and a plan in place (and it is exactly that hectic!), but this is such a great step forward for you. I wish you and your husband all the success you're hoping for.
December 23rd, 2011, 04:44 AM
Thank you for the kind words, Rebecca! It sounds like many of us have bad obgyn stories to share... I hope your RE can figure your treatment out as well so that hopefully you can conceive your little sticky bean soon!

December 23rd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Erin84's Avatar POAS Queen
Hi Nina! I didn't have to go through my OB making feeble uneducated efforts, but I did have to go through my OB telling me to stop worrying and just be patient. Uh, I've been patient for long enough, thank you! When I saw the RE he reviewed my history and said, "This shouldn't be hard -- let's get started!" That same day he did a pelvic exam and drew blood, and the next day there was an ultrasound. We sat down and went over all the results and figured out a plan that we were able to start that same day! I'm glad you decided to see an RE -- they are AMAZING compared to OBs. Well, most of them are, as long as you find a good one I hope your stay here is SO SHORT!

With us on earth for five short days, with us in our hearts forever.
(Thank you Natasha for this beautiful graphic of Andrew, and to the ladies of the Nov 10 PR who help me in carrying on his memory.)

Jan. 2009: Came off years of BCP and started TTC
March 2010: BFP -- finally!
Oct. 22, 2010: Drew is born, but has to stay in the NICU because of cord complications resulting in oxygen deprivation and brain problems =(
Oct. 27, 2010: I held him in my arms while Daddy, Grandma, Great-Uncle and I sang him to sleep =( Hardest thing I've ever done...
June 14, 2011: Drew's baby brother or sister waved hi to us with a BFP!
June 25, 2011: Natural miscarriage... Can we please catch a break here?
Nov. 2011: 100mg Clomid followed by 2mg Estrogen, Ovidrel trigger, and 200mg progesterone suppositories 2x/day 14 days. BFN.
Dec. 2011: 2nd medicated cycle. BFN.
Jan. 2012: Took a month off to breathe...
Feb. 2012: Same regimen of Clomid and other meds, add IUI. 2 eggs and 8.5 million swimmers. BFN.
March 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-11, follie scan CD 8 showed 6 follies likely to mature. Triggered, IUI on CD 14, 4 million swimmers. BFN.
April 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-10. Scan showed 2 mature follies, 2 almost certain to mature, and two not likely but possible. (All 6 evenly and perfectly spaced out between the left and the right.) Triggered, IUI CD 13 with 5 million swimmers. BFN.
May 2012: 75 IU Follistim starting CD 3. Waiting to O. Timed intercourse. Likely 5 follies to mature.

^^ Click graphic for chart ^^

December 27th, 2011, 06:44 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
My RE started right away too. I think cause of my age (41) he was like, "Oh crap, lets get moving fast". LOL

Like the others said - take notes and be prepared for your first exam and blood work if you're up to it.

Good Luck - Only a few more days left till your visit!
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569