Intro - new to MA & have some questions (m/c & child mentioned)

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Hi everyone I've been around JM a looong time but am new to this MA group and wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions.

I'm Lara (39), DH is Matt (also 39) and we have a 2 year daughter Savannah. Prior to having Savannah we lost our first pregnancy at 9wks after seeing a hb, and lost our most recent pregnancy in Oct after a lot of issues (bleeding) and a slow hb.

As a result of the 2nd loss my OB agreed to run recurrent pregnancy loss testing on me even though she didn't expect anything to turn up (b/c of successful pregnancy with Savannah) but then it did...turns out I have two different blood clotting disorders, the most serious of which is a Factor II mutation. With that info, OB shipped me over to RE to develop a treatment plan (baby aspirin while TTC, if we are successful in getting pregnant again then I'll need to daily injections of a blood thinner, Lovenox).

In meeting with the RE, he believes I'd also benefit from Clomid, and u/s monitoring during cycle as well as a trigger shot. I've declined Clomid this cycle but will be going in tomorrow (Sat) for the CD12 u/s and hopefully a trigger shot. RE plans to also put me on progesterone (not sure when though?) and manage my TTC and any early stage pregnancy.

I wasn't expecting the Clomid recommendation (or for that matter the trigger shot) and I had a few questions I hoped you ladies could help me with:

1) Does the trigger shot cause any side effects? What's your general experience been like using that?

2) If you were not otherwise having ovulation issues (cycle lengths normal, O'ing on time, etc) would you recommend Clomid? RE thinks due to my age the Clomid will help me ovulate better - meaning produce better quality eggs - even though I'm otherwise ovulating fine. I'm a little nervous about taking Clomid, so not sure if I want to do that yet but interested to hear what others have experienced with it.

3) For those taking Clomid, what does that entail - is it a shot or pills? What kind of side effects have you experienced on it?

4) For those taking progesterone, when did your OB have you start taking it...any side effects from it?

Thanks in advance for any advice...I look forward to getting to know everyone here

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
December 23rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
Erin84's Avatar POAS Queen
Welcome to this side of JM, Lara <3

1) Does the trigger shot cause any side effects? What's your general experience been like using that?

I've been told that you can expect mild early pregnancy side effects, since it IS the pregnancy hormone... I didn't have any though. The only thing was I spent all day around 2-3DPT (days past trigger) absolutely convinced I was pregnant. Then I remembered the show and it all made sense

2) If you were not otherwise having ovulation issues (cycle lengths normal, O'ing on time, etc) would you recommend Clomid? RE thinks due to my age the Clomid will help me ovulate better - meaning produce better quality eggs - even though I'm otherwise ovulating fine. I'm a little nervous about taking Clomid, so not sure if I want to do that yet but interested to hear what others have experienced with it.

I've heard some docs say that Clomid is JUST for people who don't ovulate or don't ovulate regularly, as a means of helping the egg(s) along on a more healthy timetable. Maybe your doc wants you to O more than one egg each cycle so you can have increased chances? idk. I'm on Clomid for unreliable cycles. I do ovulate on my own, but it's anywhere from CD 16 to CD 30.

3) For those taking Clomid, what does that entail - is it a shot or pills? What kind of side effects have you experienced on it?

I took pills. Each one is a round tablet that's 50mg. Since I was on 100mg, I took two a day. You're supposed to take them the same time every day, so I took them before bed, CD 3-7. I've heard one of the most common side effects of Clomid is mood swings, maybe headaches, bloating, but I was fine on the Clomid, too.

4) For those taking progesterone, when did your OB have you start taking it...any side effects from it?

My OB had me start taking it the morning after the trigger -- 200mg 2x/day vaginally. I was a little nervous because I wasn't likely to ovulate until that evening, and I started in the morning, but he said it was fine. I've heard that doing it vaginally may not affect blood progesterone levels much at all, and that when inserted vaginally, it's more for the benefit of the uterine lining than anything else. I have to wear a pad because I leak off and on all day. It's gross being squishy... But it's worth it. Progesterone is the only thing I'm having side effects from. Acne, trouble sleeping, some nausea... Those may or may not be from the progesterone, but the timing works out, so I attribute it to that.

My regimen was:
100mg Clomid CD 3-7, 2mg Estradiol CD 8 until trigger, trigger with Ovidrel, start 200mg progesterone suppositories 2x/day beginning the next morning and take for 14 days, whether I get a positive pregnancy test or not. He says he sees no need for me to take it during pregnancy, that my issue is more likely uterine lining.

I hope that helped some!

With us on earth for five short days, with us in our hearts forever.
(Thank you Natasha for this beautiful graphic of Andrew, and to the ladies of the Nov 10 PR who help me in carrying on his memory.)

Jan. 2009: Came off years of BCP and started TTC
March 2010: BFP -- finally!
Oct. 22, 2010: Drew is born, but has to stay in the NICU because of cord complications resulting in oxygen deprivation and brain problems =(
Oct. 27, 2010: I held him in my arms while Daddy, Grandma, Great-Uncle and I sang him to sleep =( Hardest thing I've ever done...
June 14, 2011: Drew's baby brother or sister waved hi to us with a BFP!
June 25, 2011: Natural miscarriage... Can we please catch a break here?
Nov. 2011: 100mg Clomid followed by 2mg Estrogen, Ovidrel trigger, and 200mg progesterone suppositories 2x/day 14 days. BFN.
Dec. 2011: 2nd medicated cycle. BFN.
Jan. 2012: Took a month off to breathe...
Feb. 2012: Same regimen of Clomid and other meds, add IUI. 2 eggs and 8.5 million swimmers. BFN.
March 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-11, follie scan CD 8 showed 6 follies likely to mature. Triggered, IUI on CD 14, 4 million swimmers. BFN.
April 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-10. Scan showed 2 mature follies, 2 almost certain to mature, and two not likely but possible. (All 6 evenly and perfectly spaced out between the left and the right.) Triggered, IUI CD 13 with 5 million swimmers. BFN.
May 2012: 75 IU Follistim starting CD 3. Waiting to O. Timed intercourse. Likely 5 follies to mature.

^^ Click graphic for chart ^^

December 23rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
The trigger shot is a giant dose of HCG, so you tend to feel a little bit pregnant for a few days. beyond that, it's not much to deal with. It's not bad at all.

I ovulate on my own, but my RE believes that sometimes clomid or femara can help with the cycle, as it helps stimulate follicle development and boosts the hormones. I would give it a try.

Clomid and femara/letrozole are the two basic level drugs used to help with ovulation. Both of them are pills, taken for about 5 days in the early part of your cycle. I've done 6 clomid cycles, and the worst side effect I deal with is hot flashes. I also tend to be moody, but that is mostly while taking the pills.

I've done it from 3 DPO/5DPTrigger, and also done it starting at a BFP. It makes you slightly nauseous, tender breasts, etc...basically early pregnancy feeling all over again.

I hope that helps, and you get your sticky BFP very soon.

My Blog
2006-2014 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2016

December 23rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Melissa*
Hey Lara
Do you remember me from the Dec '09 ddc/playroom?

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I think it's great they were able to figure out why though!!!

Clomid is seriously a cake walk, it can be very beneficial in the sense that it can make your egg stronger/ healthier. It can also almost guarantee ovulation (with the trigger shot) and helps the RE time your cycle the very best.
For me, it screwed with my cervical mucas. i never was able to get pg with it, but that is also because I have PCOS.

The ladies here are so full of knowledge and you are always welcome to ask away!!

I hope you and your doctor come up with an awesome plan that gets you pg very soon!!!
December 24th, 2011, 09:24 AM
thank you all for the responses...very helpful and i'm rethinking maybe trying Clomid next cycle (we saw the RE more than a week into current cycle so even if i had been willing to try it, it would have started next cycle anyway).

Melissa - I've missed you! You're having twins??? congrats x2 that's awesome news, i hope you have a very uneventful pregnancy with them! Ronan is going to be a terrific big brother. If you're on FB and want to reconnect with the other Dec '09 PR ladies let me know...everyone moved to FB group awhile back.

---
Update on today's RE appt - I didn't get the trigger shot It's CD 12 but the largest follie was 14.5 and apparently he wanted to see an 18 or greater...so I go back on Tue AM - i have to see a different Dr since mine won't be in, but hopefully they'll give me the trigger shot then. RE said my uterus & ovaries look great but reiterated that the thinks I'm not ovulating "ideally" and would benefit from Clomid if this cycle doesn't work out. He hasn't given up on this cycle entirely (which might be just for my benefit so he doesn't depress me, idk) but definitely seems to be preparing me to go a little more aggressive med wise next cycle.

If I ovulate on Monday before Tue appt, then is it too late to do the trigger shot? I'm thinking I need to run out and get some OPKs to test tomorrow & Monday just in case.

Savannah Stylin!

December 24th, 2011, 09:42 AM
If you ovulate Monday, then oyu won't be able to trigger on tuesday. however, follicles tend to grow 1-2mm per day, so they should be around 16-20 on tuesday, and hopefully you can trigger. clomid does make people ovulate a little earlier, as well, but not everyone(I triggered at CD17 with my last clomid cycle).

Good luck! I hope you can get this trigger and not have to move on to a medicated cycle!

Just remember if you do trigger, that it will cause a false positive on pregnancy tests. Most triggers are around 10,000 units, and you might see a positive as soon as 20 minutes later, and the average person can metabolize 1000 units per day, so it takes about 10 days post trigger to leave the system.

My Blog

December 26th, 2011, 11:35 AM
thanks Jen for the feedback...so far the OPKs are negative so I think I'll sneak in under the wire and (hopefully) get the trigger shot at Tue's appt.

Also thanks for the false + warning...my RE had mentioned that but said usually it's all out of system w/in 7 days, but since it sounds like it can take longer than that maybe I'll test it out to make sure it's a negative hpt result before looking for a +. It would stink to think you got a BFP only to find out it was residual trigger shot

Savannah Stylin!

December 26th, 2011, 07:34 PM
My rule of thumb for a +HPT on a trigger cycle is it only counts if A- you've had a negative HPT first or B- you test on multiple days and the line continues to get darker.

I've had it take as little as 8 days and as long as almost 12 days to leave my system, so your best bet is IF you do get a + HPT, take another the next day to see what it is...or just do like I do and use IC tests and test at least once a day from trigger until you get a negative, lol!

My Blog

December 27th, 2011, 07:16 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
The side effect I have from the trigger shot is emotional and weepy for a few days and a little more tired than normal.

Clomid - my obgyn put me on it while I was waiting to get into the RE. RE kept me on it for 2 more months so I was on it for a total of 3 months. I ended up then changing RE and my new RE told me that Clomid wouldn't work for me cause I already ovulate normally each month. So I really don't know. Two of the cycles I was on clomid I did get nice big follies and I had lots of good O pain so I know it made the follies maybe bigger and better. If I were you I'd give it a try but be prepared for your CM to dry up.

My neighbor got pregnant on her second dose of clomid. It didn't get me pregnant, but I hope it works for you on the first cycle.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569