Most cost efficient for IVF meds?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
My dh and I are considering IVF in spring if we're not pregnant by then, while we were completely blessed by miracle with my son 4 years ago, we're not sure if that will happen again. I am ecstatic to find out a new fertility institute in my area is doing low cost IVF programs in my city...a city that used to be top 5 in the USA for the highest IVF cost but with this new center and program, its in reach for us financially. So my question is, what is the most cost efficient place to get IVF meds that you may have used for your cycles? It says meds can be anywhere from $1500-$3500...can you tell me about what you spent on meds for your IVF cycle? A fresh cycle of IVF at this new place is $6500 without meds compared to the whopping $13,000 at all the other centers out here, just curious about what the total cost would be with meds and get an idea of what a cycle of meds would cost for us. Why do some only spend $1500 and others $3000? I respond well and quickly to fertility meds and have no female infertility, its all on my dh's side with male factor but they put me on clomid once to see if maybe I'd produce more than one egg to give dh more targets, didn't work but I responded well.

December 28th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We've only been through one IVF cycle, and used the pharmacy that my fertility center recommended (Freedom Fertility). The total cost for my meds for the first cycle was ~$3900, after insurance covered a portion of a few drugs and brought the cost down from the initial ~$4200 estimate Freedom gave us. The cost breakdown for each of the meds was as follows:

Endometrin suppositories (3 x 21 suppositories, or 3 wks worth) - $45.00 copay
Estradiol tablets - $9.60 copay
Azithromycin - $6.70 copay
Novarel - $67.00 copay
Menopur (15 vials) - $1103.50 copay
Gonal-F RFF pen (5 or 6 pens; can't quite remember) - $2085.00
Ganirelix (5 pre-filled syringes, I think) - $599.50

The expensive drugs - the Menopur and Gonal-F - are the injectibles that were used to stimulate the production of multiple follicles/eggs. The Ganirelix was used in combination with those to prevent premature ovulation before the trigger. The rest of the meds (the cheaper ones!) include the trigger shot (Novarel), the antibiotic taken prior to egg retrieval, and the progesterone/estrogen support for the endometrial lining following egg retrieval and through the pregnancy test/early pregnancy.

I hope the information is at least a little helpful for you, but more than that I hope you won't need to go the IVF route at all! Good luck as you continue TTC over the next few months.
December 28th, 2011, 11:39 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
How exciting for you!!

It really depends on your protocol and how you respond to meds...I didn't need too many for my cycle, while others on here have spent 2 or 3 times what I did for meds. Here is what I had to order for my IVF cycle, with current prices for each:

HCG injection: $67
Luprolide 2 week kit: $129
Follistim 900IU: $1355
Follistim 300IU: $452
Menopur 75IU qty. 10: $730
Progesterone qty. 2: $72

That adds up to $2805 total. Those current prices are from Freedom Fertility Pharmacy, but I use Walgreens Specialty Pharmacy. Their prices are almost identical for most drugs.

Hope that helps!!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search