not sure on next step

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Okay, I have been on this site for a years off and on. My dh had zero sperm. This January will be 4 years since his repair. Still no baby. He went back for a check up and the the doctor said it looked great but the sperm count is still low. i never got a sperm sum up. He did say IVF was our stonger option. Do you think all this other stuff is a waste of time? I was thinking that we never got real hard core with all the extra stuff. I was thinking of trying all this stuff before going forward. A littoe lost and need advice.
December 29th, 2011, 04:45 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
Hi there!

Can I ask what repair your DH had? When was his last check up? Was he seen by an RE or a Urologist?

There are several things that can be done to help sperm count, without medical intervention. Vitamins, Diet, and Lifestyle all have an affect on sperm count as well.

I'd get another SA done if you haven't done one recently. From there, talk with your RE about options. Depending on his count, IUI may be an option, or you may need to proceed to IVF.

Good luck!

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

December 29th, 2011, 06:27 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
I am not expert but there are things you guys can do before jumping to IVF.

If you guys are young, I wouldn't jump into IVF until you try some other things first. I know it's a sensitive subject put depending on your financial and insurance sitiuation you can even use donor sperm with iui which would be much more cost effective. I know it's a lot to consider so take your time and be sensitive to DH. DH needs your support and the more you give of that the better he will feel about anything you guys decide as a team. Good luck.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
December 29th, 2011, 07:50 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
It really depends on DH's counts...IUI can absolutely be an option for you if they are good enough.

Have you had some basic testing as well, such as blood work and/or an HSG? Even if his counts are perfect, there might be something on your end that needs work as well.

I would see an RE for a fertility work-up on both you and DH and then go from there. GOod luck!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 29th, 2011, 08:29 AM
ccartanddesign's Avatar With Faith
Definitely go for all the basic testing. You need that data in order to make an informed decision. Also my GYN did not do all the testing I needed so I wasted a year with her before moving on to an RE who did more testing and procedures and found some issues.
Me-38 DH-38. TTC #1 since August 2009
2/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection BFN
3/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection
4/2011 - not doing IUI - DH out of town
5/2011 - IUI with Femara and HCG trigger. In hospital due to infection from IUI.
Took a break from all meds this summer.
9/2011: - Start with new RE - testing begins.
10/2011: - Hysteroscopy - determine tubes are blocked.
10/2011 : - Laparoscopy - clip blocked tubes, determine right ovary is adhered to pelvic wall, cut adhesions
11/24/2011: IVF cycle #1 begins. Start stims.
12/2/2011: End stims. HCG trigger.
12/4/2011: Egg Retrieval. 9 eggs, only 1 embryo.
12/7/2011: Transfer.
12/20/2011: IVF #1 failed.
1/16/2012: IVF #2 first scan
"Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible." Matt. 19:26
January 4th, 2012, 10:47 AM
We been thru the testing for my hubby. I'm just wondering about Clomid. I have also heard of drinking lemon water and all these vitamins. I want to get my best chance with all this other suffix. too. So what are u women doing? I wanted to try very strongly for a little while before going forward.
January 5th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My RE suggested that my DH take antioxidents to increase motility, etc. He took one vitamin a day for a few months and it not only increased motility, but his count was alot higher after he started taking them.
January 6th, 2012, 09:17 AM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
I would suggest having the doctor do preliminary tests on you as well. You could have a blocked tube or something and all of this stuff for DH won't work if there is something on your end.

Always missing my 3 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12
January 6th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Hopingfor1soon's Avatar Expecting a Miracle!
Send a message via MSN to Hopingfor1soon Send a message via Yahoo to Hopingfor1soon
I would suggest seeing an RE and having them do all the testing you both first. See where his count is and then go from there. There are things that can be done to help increase his count and give you guys a better chance if possible. It really depends on where exactly his count is at.

As for me: We are a young couple (both 25) and tried for 3 years to get pg with my son. We tried clomid, femara, IUI with Follistim, a Fresh IVF cycle, and then the miracle FET cycle. This time around we are going straight back to IVF. I guess I am kind of at the point that I am done messing around with the little stuff cause it didnt work for us before.

Either way I think it is completely a personal decision. If you want to take the time to try the less invasive stuff then by all means I think you should give it a shot!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search