PCOS Ladies

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2012, 06:40 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
Have any of you been on metformin during treatment? Did your RE think it was helpful/necessary?

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

January 4th, 2012, 07:29 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Jen - I have no experience with this. You know, someday I hope I can answer one of your questions instead of you guys having all the answers for me. LOL

Did you try the PCOS board?
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
January 4th, 2012, 10:40 AM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Melissa*
My doctor told me that I am not insulin resistant so the Metformin wouldn't do anything for me. I have never been on it.
January 4th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
I'm on metformin but I'm not sure it's helped anything for me fertility wise. It has helped me lose weight when I've been trying too. But by itself it's never brought me ovulation or anything...
January 4th, 2012, 11:24 AM
My old RE had me on it for my insulin resistance, but I had to come off of it for surgery and because my bloodwork all came back good afterwards, he wouldn't let me go back on. My current RE has mentioned it as something we can try, but didn't think it was a necessity. I had my 'annual' visit with my regular doctor yesterday and she was extremely surprised that he hadn't put me on it, and the only reason she hadn't put me on it at my visit early last year was because she assumed he would. She wants me to go back on it in hopes that it will help with regulating my cycles, get my IR back in line and help with some of my other PCOS symptoms.
I'm torn on what to do, but thinking at this point that I will go back on the Met because it's probably another 2 months before we go back to the RE anyway, and he can decide then if I should stay on or wean off of it. It's one of those that I don't think it will hurt to try it.

My Blog

January 7th, 2012, 05:20 PM
doxiemom24's Avatar Veteran
I've been taking it since Feb. of last year and once I finished my endo treatments, I've only been on 500mg of metformin and I've had normal 30-32 day cycles and have been ovulating. I've also lost about 25lbs though, so that could be helping too. I've never had any side effects or anything.

January 7th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Luvgreen19's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
no metformin here. My doc had me following the glycemic index diet which helped me lose weight and lower my blood sugar so that IR wasn't a concern anymore. However, following that didn't induce ovulation on my own. Whether that's because following that wasn't enough for my body, or I hadn't lost enough weight I am not sure.
Round 2- 2013
Two failed Clomid cycles in May-June of 2013 followed by35 days of Follistim at gradually building levels + trigger+IUI= in August 2013!
It's a boy! DS#2 due April 28th, 2014!
Born via planned C-section April 22nd,2014 due to being breech

January 8th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My RE had me stay on met while on treatments and even when I got pg. I went on it and my cycles regulated, now they are still longer than what my RE likes to see, but they aren't 40 or 60 day cycles. A couple months ago I stopped taking it because I got really sick and just didn't take it and immediately my cycle went back to 40 days so I do believe it helps me

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 8th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't been put on it, but it's been mentioned by my doc before. I will say that when I got pregnant with my ectopic though I was doing a low glycemic diet and exercising (p90x) a lot more, so I had lost about 10 lbs, which I think helped me to ovulate. The diet was not easy because I love food, but obviously something in what I did helped lol. Sorry I can't be more help!

Always remembering our angel babies - 4/2011 (ectopic), 4/2012 (chemical) and
Angel Twins 5/23/14 (at 7 weeks 2 days)

January 8th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If there are any pcos symptoms my RE would put me on Met. It does more then just help IR - they believe it also regulates other hormones all wonky from pcos (can't remember exactly what at the moment - placenta brain drain). I chose to do crazy exercise and diet instead, because I am terrible at taking pills everyday. But the stats show that even without IR, women with pcos on Met get pregnant more often.
January 8th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
I'm on Metformin not pregnant and insulin pregnant. But I've got conflicting info if it's just insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes.

made by BAM

January 9th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MJ* View Post
If there are any pcos symptoms my RE would put me on Met. It does more then just help IR - they believe it also regulates other hormones all wonky from pcos (can't remember exactly what at the moment - placenta brain drain). I chose to do crazy exercise and diet instead, because I am terrible at taking pills everyday. But the stats show that even without IR, women with pcos on Met get pregnant more often.
The thing that sucks is I already live by the GI diet 99% of the time and exercise quite frequently too. I'll be calling my PCM today and getting an RX for it again.

My Blog

January 9th, 2012, 07:31 AM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just got put on it. I have been on it about two weeks and what my doctor told me made a lot of sense. He said that with PCOS, the cysts create more testosterone in your body than is needed or desired. He said that the best options are anti-androgen drugs (drugs that reduce the male hormones). He said that is why when I was on Yaz for birth control, my body worked perfectly. Now that I have been off of BC for a year, my body was going crazy and I had 3 periods in 9 months! He put me on Metformin because he said the side-effects are anti-androgen as well as it helps lower the insulin resistance that most people with PCOS have. He said that it should lower the testosterone levels in my body and overall help regulate it better. I have only been on it two weeks and I am starting to feel more like myself already. I have had no side effects or anything. I just have tons more energy and I am hoping it is a great sign. I would say go for it. I did tons of research on the drug and it is all positive in the long run.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search