Introduction (loss mentioned)

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ladies,
I have been somewhat lurking around this board for awhile, but have yet to post. I am normally found in TTC After Loss and TTC with PCOS, but after all is said and done, this seems to be the most appropriate place for me to come to. For a little (hopefully brief but I am long-winded) background on me, I am 26, DH (Chris) is 28, and we are TTC #1. We started TTC last January, and though I knew I had irregular cycles and likely a problem, all the tests came back normal, so we carried on normally. In April we were lucky enough to conceive, but before I could even get the joy of the positive pregnancy test I started having severe pain in my left side. It turned out to be a ruptured ectopic which I needed surgery to remove. The doctor saved my tube, but I found out in October it is completely blocked now with scar tissue.

Fast forward a few months, I got no af after the surgery, so doc started me on Provera for 2 months. Not like that would help anything, so eventually she threw 3 months worth of 100mg clomid at me and told me to call her when I was pregnant. That obviously didn't sit well with me, so off to find another doctor I went. I found another doc and at first he seemed great - first appointment did an u/s (I was in the middle of my first clomid cycle at the time), planned an HSG, and seemed to actually care. Unfortunately, that was short-lived. First month of clomid, nada, second month, nothing at all, but got the news of the blocked left tube with the HSG. At this point I was beginning to have some really nasty side effects, and when I brought it up to my doc he said that I should just stick to it because there weren't many other options (uh...what?!). I do my homework, I knew he was bull****ting me, so off to find another doctor I went.

In November, at the beginning of my third clomid cycle, I finally got into an RE. She consulted with me and even though it was last minute we decided to do an iui since I was already on the clomid. No trigger shot, no monitoring, just use opk's and hope. Of course, BFN. So December rolls around and my RE wants to get all of my past tests together, get my DH a SA and really make a plan, making December my month off of everything medication-wise.

So today we had our consult appointment to figure out our plan of attack. DH's SA results came back pretty good, morphology was a little low, but nothing to be too concerned about according to the doc. My TSH level was "high normal" so she decided to put me on a thyroid medication to even that out (yay for ANOTHER issue I was unaware of!). Then we started to discuss options, and because of my blocked tube and PCOS she recommended IVF with injectibles. After my terror passed, I was able to ask if we were at that stage right now, and she said not quite, but after a few monitored cycles with clomid and no BFP, then it would likely be time to make that jump.

So, long story extremely long, I start real monitored clomid cycles this month, which I am excited about, but I am TERRIFIED that they will fail and we'll go to IVF. So I'd love to hear from any ladies that have been through IVF, how it is, and what to do in order to prepare if it does become necessary. You ladies are all inspirations to me because of all you go through to get your babies, and I truly hope you all get your little one soon. Thanks for reading! And I look forward to getting to know you all!

Always remembering our angel babies - 4/2011 (ectopic), 4/2012 (chemical) and
Angel Twins 5/23/14 (at 7 weeks 2 days)

January 6th, 2012, 04:29 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome. I'm not an IVF lady (yet), but there are many knowledgeable and successful women here who can help out. I can sympathize with the crap-doctor routine. Really amazing how we are taught in society to revere a doctor, but when it comes down to it, there are a whole lot of them that are crap at what they are supposed to do. (There are also many, many brilliant, compassionate, talented and selfless ones too, though.) I'm so glad that you found one who meshes with you and is working with you toward a solid plan for your dreams. Best of luck!
January 6th, 2012, 04:50 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Welcome , Lindsay, and I'm sorry you have been thru so much already on your journey. The ladies here are amazing, and I hope you'll feel lots of support while you complete your journey to a sticky BFP.

I am an IVFer and would love to share my experience with you...but right now I'm out the door to a doctor's appointment (ah, another day in the life of an infertile). I promise to come back this afternoon with info, stories, etc.! Make yourself at home

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 6th, 2012, 06:19 AM
MandyEllen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome, Lindsay!

I am Mandy (32) & after 3 failed IUIs this is my first IVF cycle. Right now I am on bcp to calm my ovaries before we start injections. I'll probably be on them about 2 weeks...which means I start injections and monitoring around next Thursday!

Good luck with your monitored cycle! I hope that this is it for you. Definitely feel free to ask ANYTHING at all on here. These ladies are the best!
7/12/13 - 16 dpo beta=825
7/19/13 - 23 dpo beta=18,870
7/26/13 - 30 dpo beta=72,091

January 6th, 2012, 07:10 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
welcome to the board. I am so sorry for your loss. I have no advice about IVF since we are just doing oral meds + IUI at this point, but I hope that you don't have to go there and can get your sticky BFP asap!

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

January 6th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks so much for the welcome ladies. I knew when Erin mentioned this board was pretty awesome I wouldn't be disappointed.

I can't wait to hear all of your stories and get to know you all, and I am sure I'll have a lot of questions. Such as, this is my first month doing a trigger shot - does it hurt bad? lol, I don't really mind needles (after 3 tattoos I can't at this point), but the idea of sticking myself with it in the stomach...ugggghhhhh.

Hoping I can follow all you ladies to your BFP's!

January 6th, 2012, 07:48 AM
ccartanddesign's Avatar With Faith
Welcome. I am an ivf-er. I had one failed cycle and am about to start my 2nd cycle. Physically its not too bad but emotionally it can be tough. Just do your research and be prepared and have support in place before starting.
Me-38 DH-38. TTC #1 since August 2009
2/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection BFN
3/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection
4/2011 - not doing IUI - DH out of town
5/2011 - IUI with Femara and HCG trigger. In hospital due to infection from IUI.
Took a break from all meds this summer.
9/2011: - Start with new RE - testing begins.
10/2011: - Hysteroscopy - determine tubes are blocked.
10/2011 : - Laparoscopy - clip blocked tubes, determine right ovary is adhered to pelvic wall, cut adhesions
11/24/2011: IVF cycle #1 begins. Start stims.
12/2/2011: End stims. HCG trigger.
12/4/2011: Egg Retrieval. 9 eggs, only 1 embryo.
12/7/2011: Transfer.
12/20/2011: IVF #1 failed.
1/16/2012: IVF #2 first scan
"Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible." Matt. 19:26
January 6th, 2012, 07:49 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
When I trigger, I actually have to give myself the shot in the butt, lol. It hurts a bit, but really not bad at all. More tender than sore.

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

January 6th, 2012, 01:53 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'm back!

I have always done the trigger shot in my stomach, and it really wasn't bad at ALL. I was all worked up about it, but I barely felt a thing! The needle isn't very long and is really thin, so that helps a lot. They'll show you how to do everything at your RE's office...just buy some cute band-aids

We did 6 IUIs before moving on to IVF, and I was like you...scared to death that they'd fail and we'd have to do IVF. I won't lie...IVF is hard and scary, but it is also the absolute best chance at getting pregnant!! My RE had about a 70% success rate with IVF in my age group, so as terrified as I was, I was also ready to give it our best shot.

Financially, we had to pay out of pocket, so it was pretty crummy.

Physically, it depends on the person and how their body responds. The shots are not fun, but you get used to them. My ovaries ached because they were stretching and pushing their limits, I looked 4 months pregnant because of the bloating, and I was exhausted from driving 2 hours each way to my zillion appointments. The retrieval itself wasn't too bad...I never took anything except tylenol. I thought that the physical part was actually the easiest.

Emotionally, well...that part just plain sucks. It is a huge roller coaster, and every appointment is a make-it-or-break-it visit. The meds have your hormones going crazy, you wonder if you are making a $15,000 gamble for nothing, no one around you understands, DH likely won't totally "get it"...I was a mess. My sister also called in the middle of my cycle to tell me she was pregnant with her 2nd, so that didn't help anything. I seriously wondered if I was having a mental-breakdown at times, and wanted to cancel everything the night before the retrieval

All that said, it was totally worth it. Completely. We're doing a frozen embryo transfer in 2 weeks, and if that doesn't work we'll absolutely do a whole IVF cycle all over again.

As for how to prepare, the TTCMA board is probably your best tool! There are dozens of ladies on here who have done IVF and would be happy to answer any questions you have. Same with IUI/Clomid or any other topic...no matter how silly the question may seem, feel free to ask. We'll probably tell you more than you want to know

Well, I have rambled on for quite a while, and I'm not sure I have helped too much. Feel free to ask questions, read thru the IVF threads to get more ideas of what a cycle is like, hang out and get to know everyone, etc. Hopefully IVF won't even be necessary because you'll get your BFP super-fast

Everyone's protocol is different, but mine started with taking birth control pills for 2 months. I then did Lupron shots as well for couple of weeks. The actual stimulation (5 shots/day) only lasted 11 days, and during that part I had an appointment with my RE every other day.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 6th, 2012, 02:16 PM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Melissa*
I am an IUI'er AND and IVF'er. I conceived my son though injectables/ IUI (I was 23 at time of stims, and 24 when he was born). Second time around TTC#2 We didn't have such great luck. I JUST turned 26 when we decided to do IVF instead. It worked the first time, and we are now almost 12 weeks pg with twins!! The best part is that we still have 2 waiting for us to go back for later.

Please don't be afraid of IVF. I know when I first started this journey I thought IVF meant the end of the road. I hated the sound of it. When it came down to it, IVF was a choice for us, as it sounds like it will be for you since you also have PCOS. It was just the most cost effective decision for us. IUI cycles add UP without nearly the success rates.

We LOVED the experience. Shots and all. It was a memorable time for us, and a beautiful journey to building our family. It helps that we LOVED our clinic too!

Goodluck!!
January 6th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Working mommy
Welcome Lindsay! I hope your stay here is short.

I am an IVFer to conceive #2. We have male factor infertility and we miraculously conceived #1 without any help on month #2! So after 18mo and 3 failed IUIs with triggers and clomid (no injectables) IVF was our best option.

Like you, my RE mentioned IVF on our first appointment and I about hit the floor. I was actually kind of mad that he wanted to bring it up so soon. At the time I thought we were dealing with mild PCOS and just wanted my meds to make my body work...not tons of money and shots to get pregnant. But my RE let us do the IUIs (even though he told us from the start that they aren't usually effective with MFI) and waited for us to come around.

We did 1 cycle of IVF and ended up pregnant (due in 6.5 weeks!). We have 6 snowbabies waiting for us too.

Before our IVF started we bought a book about it (I feel the need to read as much as a can when I feel out of control). I kept a journal. And I posted my calendar on the bathroom mirror. And of course, I was on here regularly to get questions answered.

DH gave almost all my shots. He took the job very seriously and did a great job! I think he had a certain amount of guilt with the whole thing and needed to feel like he had a job and role with the process. Most of the shots don't hurt to bad at all. The worst, by far, is the progesterone in oil shots. The trigger shots are not bad at all and neither are the tummy shots. The needle is so small!

Emotionally, it can be tough. But if you and DH act as a team and are in it together you will be fine.

Best of luck to you!

January 8th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies SO much!

I'm sorry it's taken me a few days to get back on here, I should warn you now I may be a bit sporadic in responses and posts, I am in a doctorate program and my free time is severely limited lol. So if I disappear for a week or so at a time, rest assured, I'll always be back.

I appreciate SO much the confidence and consolation you ladies have given so far, it's really helping me to see IVF as not the big scary last resort I have always thought it to be. I know my DH is doubting that these last 2 iui's will be successful, and he has been doing his research on IVF (he does that when he is nervous), but I have been putting off the research until I am positive that is where we are going (my way of sticking it to the man? lol). Instead I am preparing my body for the long road ahead of us. I am finally starting to eat better, exercise, and actually remembering my vitamins and pills lol.

So I may make a new thread for this, but a few questions regarding IVF right off the bat if I may. First, my DH found somewhere online that if you have a BMI over 27 then the likelihood of successful IVF is significantly decreased, has anyone found this to be true? I'm slightly overweight for my height, but nothing dramatic (and I still blame PCOS), and I just want to hear opinions on if you all think it would be beneficial to lose some extra weight before we go through IVF.

Secondly, I know it depends on each woman, but what is the average eggs that can be retrieved on an IVF cycle? I would love to just go through one retrieval process and have some frozen for later, but I suppose that all depends.

Ok, that's all I have for now. Sorry for bombarding with questions already lol! Thank you ladies again, I can see Erin was right when she said you were all wonderful, supportive women to be on a board with, and I am very happy to be here.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search