Mixed feelings after today's RE appt (took trigger shot)

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
So today was our CD12 u/s to check on size of the follie and if large enough to take the trigger shot.

What I got instead was a little bit of a surprise...2 follies developed despite starting Clomid on CD5 (so much for RE's theory that starting it late would prevent 2nd follie from maturing ). The larger of the 2 is at 18.5 today and the 2nd is at 17.5

Which has presented a little bit of a dilemma for us...we are trying to take every reasonable step to avoid a multiple pregnancy and my RE & OB both agree with that strategy. In addition to my newly discovered blood clotting mutation (which poses additional risk), I had some complications with Savannah's pregnancy that make a multiple pregnancy riskier than normal even for someone of my age (and my age alone makes it risky).

So based on RE's advice, I triggered today which he believes will reduce the chance of the 2nd follie fully maturing & ovulating to about 50%. Which from my perpsective is still really bad odds in the sense that I went from a theoretical risk of 10% chance of twins to now a 50% flip of the coin. But I talked with DH and we're going to take our chances and TTC anyway (as opposed to skip this cycle), but I'm feeling really conflicted right now

IDK what to think...I know 90% of my RE's patients would love to have my "problem" - which makes me feel weird & guilty to be upset about it - but I'm really scared and despite my RE kind of downplaying my original fear of a twin pregnancy scenario now it seems like everything that wasn't likely to happen is in fact now happening. I also worry that RE's perspective was that an "ideal" outcome would have been to trigger tomorrow (despite the enhanced risk of multiples) to create the most mature follies...obviously we've decided not to do that, but now I worry that I've maybe negatively impacted the 1 mostly mature follie by not waiting until it was a bit bigger

Anyway, if you made it through this rambling mess I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me to quit worrying and go with the flow. On the bright side I told DH the RE gave me a prescription for DTD next 3 days

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)

Last edited by L-SBB; January 23rd, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
January 23rd, 2012, 04:17 PM
adnelg775's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You are absolutely right to want to avoid multiples if you can. It is not always rainbows and sunshine. My babies were in the NICU for three months and I am very thankful that they are as healthy as they are. But most of the complications have stemmed from the fact that they are twins. I wish you a healthy pregnancy and baby!

January 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
*hugs* as much as i would love twins(since I know we can really only afford to do all this once), I also fear twins because of the complications. Even with two good follies, there are no guarantees that both will become babies, so hopefully in two weeks you'll get a nice dark BFP with one healthy little bean in there

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

January 23rd, 2012, 05:03 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
(((HUGS))) It is crazy sometimes how our bodies can work "too well" and that leads to more complicated scenarios..."normal" women are so lucky to not have to worry about these things! It is hard to go with the flow, but that's really all you can do at this point. What's done is done, and what will be will be...that is what I have been telling myself the last 3 days, and it helps somewhat. I hope that you have a peaceful 2WW with as few worries as possible, and a nice BFP right around the corner

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 23rd, 2012, 08:28 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lara-
I dont think that you should be that concerned about twins...all of the data that I have read about multiples (and I have read a TON!) say that when you are older (35+), you have less good eggs...I think you said that you are 38? For your age, only about 1 in 10 eggs are good enough to fertilize, so your chance of twins is not 50%...that data is for someone in their 20s who has a zillion healthy eggs (I dont mean to say that to come off sounding like a jerk, I just want to reassure you a bit)...I know that the data with Follistim says that women over 35 have no greater chance at twins on injectables (which make a ton more eggs than Clomid does) than on no medication at all...

I am 35, and I took Follistim, and had FOUR eggs that were perfect and ready to go and triggered all four of them, and wound up with one healthy baby in there (no vanishing twin or anything)...out of 4, only one was good...SamF had 8 eggs when she triggered (I think she is 40?) and only got one healthy baby also...my RE would not have triggered me with 4 good eggs if I had been in my 20s, but he wasnt worried at all cause I was older, I believe that once you hit 40, they want as many eggs as possible even for an IUI, cause they are hoping for that one good egg...

Dont be too concerned with twins with two eggs...
That being said _ GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by fromustobaby; January 23rd, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
January 24th, 2012, 01:06 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
I agree with fromustobaby. My RE told me the same thing. I had 6 follies when I triggered and no babies as a result. I am 41. My RE also told me if I was in my 20's he would not let me have more than 3 follies for even an IUI. At 41 though, balls to the wall, more follies the better.

Good Luck!
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569