anyone done "mini-ivf"?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By brynnkelley04
  • 1 Post By IndyMommyWannabe
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By Jenn in DC
  • 1 Post By Jenn in DC

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2012, 10:58 AM
IndyMommyWannabe's Avatar Always Hoping & Praying
Hello! So I'm currently looking to "finance our pregnancy"...the RE we have been seeing has quoted us at $14,000 for ivf+icsi+meds...

Well we are meeting with a loan officer at a bank here in indy to discuss this as well as some other financial stuff (home equity, etc...)

I told him about the IVF and who we are gonig through and the $14,000 pricetag we are currently looking at...
he suggested, too, another lab here in Indy that does IVF has he said that the one we are currently seeing IS the most expensive in the state.

This other one, though, I just looked up online (and see their building all the time, now that I think about it...) and they have a procedure called "mini-ivf" where it won't produce as many eggs as regular IVF, but the medications and procedure itself (including ICSI) are a HECK of a lot cheaper at a total of $6500 instead of $14,000.

that's HALF of what the other place wants. Now granted, I really like the docs we've been seeing - but i'm sorry if I can do this for HALF of that cost, you bet your butt i'm going to!!!!!!!

So just curious if anyone has heard of it?

(x-posted to TTC our first)

IVF=ONLY option

October 2012 = Fresh IVF #1 - retrieved 8, 6 fertilized. Transfer 2. Fail.March 2013 = Frozen #1 - Transfer 2 of 4 left. Fail.
February 2014 = Frozen #2 - Transfer remaining 2 - IMPLANTATION!
8 weeks, D&C - blighted ovum - Triploidy

July 2014 = Fresh IVF #2!

"Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us!"

Come visit my blog/journal to learn more about our journey - Our Adventure through Infertility
March 8th, 2012, 11:32 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
JennDC did it, I know. I believe she did rounds and froze all her embryos from each round. I know there are a few others that have done minimal stimulation IVF as well on the IVF subforum.

My Blog
2006-2014 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2016

March 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
"Jenn in DC" and "Mac-Lyn" have both done several rounds of mini-IVF.

Mini-IVF was not something we considered, but we did consider a "1/2 the price" option as well. We were seeing a civilian RE, but the military will do IVF at select military hospitals and we could have done that. We thought long and hard about it and it was a tough decision. We looked at the docs and their success rates (sart.org for each clinic's report), the savings we would have doing it with the military, etc. In the end, we trusted our doctor 1000% and he had great stats. We felt that starting all over with a doctor that we may or may not like and who didn't have as good of stats would be doing ourselves a disservice. So far (not including time off work and travel) we have spent between $25k and $30k...a little more than twice what we would have spent with the military. We do not regret our decision at all. We may not have as much in our retirement fund as we wanted, we don't drive fancy new cars, and we haven't taken fancy vacations, but that's more than okay with us...one little smile from your newborn and you won't care how much you spent.

Good luck...these decisions are TOUGH!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 8th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
Good luck...these decisions are TOUGH!
IKR???????

Thanks for the reply! I totally get you and it IS an apprehension of mine to start over...but spending that much money just to even TRY to get pregnant and then to think about how much we're going to have to spend once we HAVE the baby (we both work, and daycare, which have no choice but to do, is around $1000/month around here)...while we make some good money just the idea of a $14,000 loan PLUS our current debt PLUS $1000/month is just overwhelming.

Course we've only actually met the RE ONE time. We haven't really started any treatments with her - except I have been doing acupuncture at the clinic (which is HEAVENLY by the way! lol).

If nothing else we are just looking at options!

IVF=ONLY option

October 2012 = Fresh IVF #1 - retrieved 8, 6 fertilized. Transfer 2. Fail.March 2013 = Frozen #1 - Transfer 2 of 4 left. Fail.

"Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us!"

Come visit my blog/journal to learn more about our journey - Our Adventure through Infertility
March 8th, 2012, 07:28 PM
brynnkelley04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Before you decide to switch and change RE's you should check out the sart.org website and make sure the success rates are comparable or better then the clinic you are currently using. Good luck!

Brynn 30,
Rich 41, Marcus 11, Gavin 8
~~IVF #4 using Donor Eggs=BFP
~~April 18th 1st U/S=TWINS! Baby A 128bpm Baby B 124bpm

March 9th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Thank you everyone!!!

I checked out that site and it's a very interesting site!! Obviously the one I'm with (that is the $14,000 one) has had MORE clients, but they've also been around for a lot longer...they both tend to have around the same success, the one we're currently with has slightly more, but again, it's because of the numbers...

I did also google and found on a few other fertility forums some women who have gone to this other fertility clinic here in Indy and I've emailed a couple of them. One got back to me immediately and had nothing but great things to say about this doctor and his staff, as she has a 6 month old baby girl thanks to them. (and she had done two previous rounds of IVF which was unsuccessful in a different state and called this doctor her "last hope"...)

I guess my thing is, I don't want to feel obligated to stay with the one we are working with just because they were the first we were sent to. I am the type that likes to "shop around". And this other fertility clinic is one of the three big ones that are here in Indy. Which I didn't realize there were three here, I thought - because we were working with this one, that it was the only one out there...

And - don't get me wrong, they are great at the one we're working with - but if this other one is just as good AND can do it for half the price...then yes I'm going to look into it!

BUT I'm not going to make any rash decisions, but I do have an appointment to go in and talk with the doctor and see what the program is all about. Now this clinic DOES do the "full" IVF as well - but this "mini-ivf" is an option for couples who qualify (depending on the severity of the infertility)...to obviously help cut costs.

If we go in and talk to him and decide it's not for us, we'll stick with the first one, but I want more options. This is a HUGE decision for us (as i know you all know! )

Anyways - I truly appreciate all help and replies I get regarding the procedure and other thoughts about it!!!
Hopingfor1soon likes this.

IVF=ONLY option

March 9th, 2012, 09:28 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I think you are being very smart about all of this, and hope once you meet the other doctor you find some clarity one way or another. Keep us posted!
IndyMommyWannabe likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 9th, 2012, 09:55 AM
BTW, Melissa - I had no idea you were pregnant with twins!!!! that's awesome! so happy for you!

IVF=ONLY option

March 9th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Jenn in DC's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi Keri-Ann. I just saw this post. I did mini-IVF in NY and am VERY happy with my decision. I would choose to do the same again if I had to do it over again.

I think that it really depends on your own personal situation but for me mini-IVF was definitely the way to go. Here's a quick summary of my own experience with mini-IVF.

I did three rounds of mini-IVF. The fact that I did three rounds of it might sound scary so I'll explain why I did that.

I have diminished ovarian reserve and I don't respond well to stimulating drugs. No matter how much medication they give me to stimulate my follicles, I only produce about 2 eggs a month anyway. I want to have more than one child eventually and my reserve is diminishing by the month. We went through our first round of mini-IVF and got two eggs. DH and I decided to freeze these and try to get more so that we would have some saved up for the future. We got two more the second round and then decided to go for a third round because the clinic had a "buy two rounds and get the third for free deal." We ended up with five frozen embryos after the three rounds.

Here are the things that I like about mini-IVF:

The medicines are much cheaper than traditional IVF.
The meds are MUCH easier on your body! I was able to do three rounds in three months and felt fine almost the entire time. Hot flashes were my only real side effect.
Almost all of my eggs made it to freeze. We had 6 mature eggs retrieved, all six fertilized and 5 grew normally and were frozen. That fertilization and freeze rate is pretty rare in traditional IVF. The theory is that you are getting fewer eggs with mini but they are higher quality eggs. I have seen a lot of women go through traditional IVF on these boards and have 10-25 eggs retrieved and end up with OHSS AND have none left to freeze after transfer. According to my doctor, that is because when you take so much medicine in order to retrieve so many eggs it reduces the quality of the eggs. In the end these women have put their bodies through so much, paid a lot of money and ended up with no extra eggs. (Of course, that doesn't happen to everyone who does traditional IVF, and plenty of ladies end of with lots of high quality frozen eggs.)

I don't know much about your situation but you will probably be a much better responder to the meds than I am. I have seen a lot of other women get 4 or 5 eggs during mini IVF and have all or almost all of them fertlize and grow normally. They got pregnant on the first transfer and had some left to freeze for the future.

My first frozen (single) embryo transfer ended in a miscarriage but I am now 21 weeks pregnant after my second single embryo transfer and I still have 3 eggs left to go back for.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do. And please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Started TTC #1 July 2009
Summer 2010 - Three IUIs with Clomid & Gonal F - All BFNs
Winter 2011 - IVF Clinical Trial. Cycle Cancelled.
March 2011 - Minimal Stimulation IVF #1 - 2 eggs retrieved, fertilized and frozen on Day 3.
April 2011 - Mini-IVF #2 - 2 eggs retrieved, fertilized and frozen as expanded blasts on Day 5.
May 2011 - Mini-IVF #3 - 4 eggs retrieved (two mature and 2 immature), one egg made it to blast and was frozen. Five snowbabies in all!! Hysteroscopy.
July 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP and then miscarriage

November 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!! Aven Born on August 4, 2012

July 2014 - Got Pregnant Naturally with Twins! Miscarriage at 9 weeks.
November 2014 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!
Beta #1 12 DPO = 45
Beta #2 14 DPO = 118
Beta #3 21 DPO = 3,451

March 9th, 2012, 02:22 PM
@Jenn in DC

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH for the reply!!!!! The more and more I read about it, it sounds like a great idea! Especially like what you said (and I read somewhere else) about how the follicles produced, while not as many are of better quality, plus not having to take as many meds would be fabulous!!

And - as far as I know right now, 90% of our infertility lies with my husband - as I've said, the ONLY known issue I have is 1 blocked tube. I have extremely normal cycles and O on Day 14 every month.

So I'm hoping that with those odds, Mini-IVF would be better on us anyways!

Thank you again so much! I will keep everyone updated on how my appointment goes!

Plus - I have to say, I already like this doc a lot...I only just emailed him about meeting him yesterday and we've exchanged THREE emails already!

Of course, though - again - I'm really going to weigh everything and see if it's even feasible for us (medically) to do the mini-ivf...or if traditional is the way to go. PLUS who knows? Maybe this clinic is cheaper with the traditional too!

IVF=ONLY option

March 12th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Jenn in DC's Avatar Super Mommy
Please do keep us up to date on what you decide to do and your progress! Best wishes!!
Started TTC #1 July 2009
Summer 2010 - Three IUIs with Clomid & Gonal F - All BFNs
Winter 2011 - IVF Clinical Trial. Cycle Cancelled.
March 2011 - Minimal Stimulation IVF #1 - 2 eggs retrieved, fertilized and frozen on Day 3.
April 2011 - Mini-IVF #2 - 2 eggs retrieved, fertilized and frozen as expanded blasts on Day 5.
May 2011 - Mini-IVF #3 - 4 eggs retrieved (two mature and 2 immature), one egg made it to blast and was frozen. Five snowbabies in all!! Hysteroscopy.
July 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP and then miscarriage

November 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!! Aven Born on August 4, 2012

July 2014 - Got Pregnant Naturally with Twins! Miscarriage at 9 weeks.
November 2014 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!
Beta #1 12 DPO = 45
Beta #2 14 DPO = 118
Beta #3 21 DPO = 3,451

March 18th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
I think meeting with this new doc sounds like a great plan! Also I think researching is great! I've been very interested in the idea of mini IVF myself. Good luck hun!

TTC #1 for five years
Battling PCOS and Male Factor Infertility

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search